AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th November, 2003, 01:20 AM

You mean that the multiplier isn't displayed correctly?
You can see the real changes in the sensor-group or use another hardware-monitor. Because I've only a Rev. 1.x Board I can't test the Vdd-Option myself, but some other have tested it at said that setting 1.8V and 2.0V works, only switching back to 1.6V sometimes doesn't work properly (see readme).
2x256 333 Infineon @ 200FSB 4 3 2 2.5, 2.6V
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th November, 2003, 03:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

Hasw: I have a suggestion for you software:

To be honest I haven't tried it for real, as I don't have a 8RDA, but I took a look at your website and saw that for your AutoFSB feature you have only one Delay setting.

Why don't you make 2 Delay options, one for going from "Low Speed" to "High Speed" and the other from "High to Low" ?

I tell you that because I think like this:

When your computer is running at "slow-speed" and you then start using it, you want to go to "high-speed" mode as quickly as possible, so the delay option for slow->high should have a very small value, just to act as a filter for some CPU usage peaks that might happen when your computer is just downloading stuff for example.

(I suppose you're polling CPU usage information for this at a regular interval of time).

On the other hand, when you're at high-speed, you want it fast for a long time, and it should only come back to slow-speed if you're not really using it and are away, so a bigger delay value should be used. It's a filter of course, but more in the like of a "screensaver" setting.

Anyway, this is what I wanted to say.

I don't know if it will be better or worse, but if I were the programmer I would have done this.

Congrats for the software. You came with this nice utilty from "nothing".
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th November, 2003, 03:39 AM

One problem here:

The multiplier is almost never reported correctly in this build, and the error ranges from 0.5 -> 8.5 at one point.

I am using an 8RDA+ 1.1.
Old 30th November, 2003, 12:38 PM

Suggestion!

Great utility Hasw - this is the kind of thing that Epox should have shipped with retail mobo's from start. Gigabyte ship an excellant overclocking utility - its automated as well.

My suggestion is on the lines of what nfrenay is talking about.

Its great having an overclocked system, but its not necessary to have it running like the clappers all the time, Its just putting strain on component life.

Would it be possible to incorporate a toolbar with a "user defined settings" menu?

I would like to be able to save for two scenarios;

1) Overclocked (for heavy Cpu loads)
2) Default (day to day usage ie surfing, exel, word)

I have put your utilty in my quick launch menu. With the above suggestion incorporated, I could just switch between o/clock or non o/clock instantly.

Regards

Geeza
Corsair XMS3200 @ 4-3-3-2.5 2.768V
Crucial Radeon 9800 Pro 1.6V
Soundblaster Audigy 2
Logitech Z-680 5.1 Speakers
Sony DVD RW DRU-500A
AOpen 52x24x52 Cd-Writer
2 x WD Raptor SATA Raid 0 (Striped)
Vantec Stealth Aluminum 470W
Coolermaster ATCS-201-SXK (blowhole mod/5.25” fan rheobus)
Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 740 SB
3DMark2001: 18404
Old 30th November, 2003, 01:28 PM

@nfrenay: no problem.
@kuja: &*@#&$ multiplicator

@geeza: why don't use the command-line options? for example create a low.bat file:
----
8rdavcore -f 166
8rdavcore -s 1.5
----
and a high.bat:
----
8rdavcore -s 1.65
8rdavcore -f 200
----

It's faster than starting 8rdavcore, select a profile and apply it ;-)
Old 30th November, 2003, 03:55 PM

I think it would be interesting also to be able to set the voltages for the "Max speed" and "Min speed" modes.

But I'm just giving my thoughts, I can't even use the software (8k3a+ here) .
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 30th November, 2003, 04:50 PM

@nfrenay: allready done for next version ;-)
Old 30th November, 2003, 04:54 PM

First of all Hasw, THANKS! I've been waiting for a program like this for months , specially after the dissapointing Nvidia System Utility.

I also have a few suggestions for the program. For instance, if it could minimize to the tray area to free some space in the taskbar when it is running with autofsb on. Also the ability to save and load profiles quickly would be great, much like nvidia's detonator tray utility. eg: the program's icon is sitting in the tray area, right click, select profile.

Otherwise the program is stable and easy to use . Now I can underclock on the fly and undervolt to 1.2V to quiet the fans when surfing.
Old 30th November, 2003, 05:23 PM

Thumbs down no bloat please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore
For instance, if it could minimize to the tray area to free some space in the taskbar when it is running with autofsb on. Also the ability to save and load profiles quickly would be great, much like nvidia's detonator tray utility. eg: the program's icon is sitting in the tray area, right click, select profile.
I had to register to say I disagree. I don't want any more programs in my systray. What you are asking for is already possible, just make some script or a batch file that does it for you using the cmd line switches.

Even the autofsb feature is "questionable" in a program like this since it would be better to have it implemented like a daemon or daemon-like program (a "service" in the windows-world), not inside 8rdavcore itself. Probably you could use mbm or something to trigger the changes when you reach a certain temp or something.

hasw, concentrate on making the util as stable as at all possible. And I still cant believe you actually have a linux version too. Thanks.
Old 30th November, 2003, 05:41 PM

On vdd support

I have an 8RDA+ rev 2.0 and setting vdd works well, but the scale seem to be off somehow.

What happens is

Setting -> Real Voltage reported from sensor
1.6v -> 1.6v
1.8v -> 1.616v
2.0v -> 1.808v

Maybe this stems from the undervolting the mobo already does by default, I dunno.

One more thing I've noticed is that when I set vdd the value in "Current vAGP" is set to the same as "Current Vdd". This looks like a bug because if I reselect the AGP bar and press apply it is reset to the correct value again.
Old 30th November, 2003, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jib
I had to register to say I disagree. I don't want any more programs in my systray. What you are asking for is already possible, just make some script or a batch file that does it for you using the cmd line switches.
Yup, its possible, and I already do it that way, but it would simplify a bit changing settings. Besides, I don't see a problem in giving the option to minimize to tray instead of the taskbar. If you don't want more programs in the systray simply close it, because since you don't use autofsb you don't need it loaded anyway. I'm not a programmer but I don't think it is something difficult to implement.

OTOH, giving the option to downclock if a certain temp is reached is a nice idea.
Old 30th November, 2003, 06:21 PM

Jib: I agree with you for the AutoFSB feature: it would be better if it was a service that used 8rdavcore software (GUI) just to configure it (enable/disable, max/min settings).

Moore: If the AutoFSB became a service, you wouldn't need to have the software loaded on the system's memory, as you would use it only to configure the AutoFSB service, but anyway I think it's way easier to make a TrayIcon then transforming AutoFSB into a service (at least I think so), and 8rdavcore could be used as a system monitor (voltages, etc) like it already does.

I don't know if Hasw will do any of these 2, but either way it would be nice to have both of them. Who doesn't want trayicon, just close the software, no problem. And if AutoFSB became a service, it would benefit everyone as it would be more reliable then just a program running.

BTW, I'm an average Delphi programmer. Haven't learnt how to make services yet, but someday I will .

This software made me want to create something like it for my 8k3a+, but I don't have any idea on how to access these voltage regulators.
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Old 1st December, 2003, 10:58 AM

news

Post Edit:
I' sorry but we don't permit unsolicited referrals to other forums. This as it is often just advertising. Please feel free to reproduce any information you might wish to here.

Some unconfirmed news about the next version here:

Last edited by Daniel ~; 1st December, 2003 at 07:25 PM.
Old 1st December, 2003, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Post Edit:
I' sorry but we don't permit unsolicited referrals to other forums. This as it is often just advertising. Please feel free to reproduce any information you might wish to here.
Umm. Well whatever you say, chief ;-)

What I was trying to say was that in another forum somewhere on the web I found some info about the next version.. taken from an email and thus not "officially announced" from hasw yet, I guess.

"Hi,

yes, Systemp will be corrected:

0.7.6b:
- Added VCore-presets to AutoFSB
- Fixed sys-temp display (nf7vcore)
- Added second AutoFSB delay option
- Moves now to tray if minimized
- Corrected Vdd trackbar setting at startup (8rdavcore)

Regards,
<hasw's real name>"
Old 1st December, 2003, 07:46 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Thanks for understanding Jib. More over thank you for your participation! Welcome to AOA!!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 1st December, 2003, 10:15 PM

great job hasw!!
next time i'll take a "powermeter" (bad translation - i hope you all know what i mean ) and see how power consumption changes from overclocked to underclocked
do you have a linux release with the new features, too? i couldn't find one.. since i use linux more and more often it would be great to have the fsb change ability there, too

btw: [@ all ]what is your lowest fsb you can reach from your highest fsb?? and how many steps do you have to take??
win xp professional student version
gentoo linux 1.4 running 2.6 test 9 kernel

biertragl:
8kha+ | duron 1000@10x133 | 640mb ddr | 2x wd800jb
running gentoo linux 1.4 with 2.4.20-9 kernel
Old 1st December, 2003, 11:22 PM

Yes, I was using ver.7 & yes my question was if I'm running Ram and FSB asynchron it will only change the CPU's FSB or both same as NVdia's sys util?

You did it again, thanks 4 d new ver!
Old 2nd December, 2003, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal0
btw: [@ all ]what is your lowest fsb you can reach from your highest fsb?? and how many steps do you have to take??
I recently bought a new Duron 1.4 for experimenting on my 8rda+ and at first I couldnt go below 166 fsb without my computer locking up. Then I realized if I set my bios fsb down to 100, memory speed to 100% and keep my multiplier and mem timings at their overclocked settings, I can go all the way from 100 up to 220 fsb and back in just two steps.

This really has made me look at my possibilities in a new way - theoretically I can go from 8x100 to 8x220 just by using the util, but below 1300mhz I get no temp gains, so the settings I use currently are

1,175 (1,240) 8x175 . 1400 mhz 35C idle, 39c load, 100% prime95 stable
1,600 (1,515) 8x215 . 1720 mhz 40C idle, 49c load, 100% prime95 stable

This Duron isn't what I hoped for getting it, but still its usable and only my 2nd rig so I'm not worrying about it. My BIOS settings are now indentical to the undervolted ones except for the vcore, and I use a tool called cpuchecker combined with Task Scheduler to dynamically adjust my settings based on cpu usage. In addition I have some keyboard shortcuts on the start-menu that enables me to run the same batch files to set high and low on demand.

8rdavcore has added a lot to my feeling of value when using this mobo, thats for sure. I'd buy the same board again just to get to use this util! Epox should hire hasw asap ;-) Just out of the blue - are cpus generally able to handle these insane variations in temp and voltage? In theory yes, but has anyone really tested doing things like this for prolonged amounts of time?

OT: Only thing thats missing really is the ability to software-control my fans. As it turns out speedfan doesnt work with 8rda+ and I haven't found any others that do. Its probably not possible, and now I cannot overclock as much as I want because I need to set my fans so that they cater for both my usage scenarios. This is causing me some pain. I'm leaning towards experimenting with the underpressured box with cpu tract airflow solution.

.. and back to work
Old 2nd December, 2003, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j13
Yes, I was using ver.7 & yes my question was if I'm running Ram and FSB asynchron it will only change the CPU's FSB or both same as NVdia's sys util?
Hm. As I understand async FSB/memory speed it works by either setting the memory locked to standard speed (SPD) or by over/underclocking it based on a divider of the current FSB.

If this is correct then the answer to your question is "it depends". If you have locked the memory speed to standard speed in the BIOS, it will always run at that speed. If you use a divider (precentage setting) it will be adjusted too, according to whatever you set the FSB to.

But next question is .. why do you run it async? It will be very OT here so I ask you not to answer it hehe.
Old 2nd December, 2003, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jib
OT: Only thing thats missing really is the ability to software-control my fans. As it turns out speedfan doesnt work with 8rda+ and I haven't found any others that do. Its probably not possible, and now I cannot overclock as much as I want because I need to set my fans so that they cater for both my usage scenarios. This is causing me some pain. I'm leaning towards experimenting with the underpressured box with cpu tract airflow solution..
/me is able to software-control his fans unfortunately they fire up @ 12v and are very loud until i run the software from an os...
win xp professional student version
gentoo linux 1.4 running 2.6 test 9 kernel

biertragl:
8kha+ | duron 1000@10x133 | 640mb ddr | 2x wd800jb
running gentoo linux 1.4 with 2.4.20-9 kernel