AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th September, 2003, 09:21 PM

Post Its running hot

I am new to this forum. I have put together a pc to catalogue, clean and archive a huge record collection. I tried to do my homework to find what components to use and came up with: 8RGA – Athlon 2800 Barton – 2 x DDR3200 x 512 – MSI GFX5200 – 550watt PSU – Thermaltake Volcano 11 Xaser and a case with 2 case fans, one extracting thru a duct from above the CPU and Northbridge, the other blowing in thru the base. I have 4 of the pci slots used, network adaptor, sound, 2 x ATA100 adaptors. 6 x 180 gbite hard drives 2 x CD writers and 2 x DVD writers. I network to 2 other pcs for storage and backup. The EPOX based pc has been trouble-free since assembly. A few niggles where put right by a bios upgrade. In 12 weeks never a crash and all the software seems totally compatible and runs (to me) very fast. I am extremely happy with the result - in all but one factor, that is the heat that is generated! At idle the temperatures according to UDSM are around CPU 51c SYSTEM 39C. When working hard this rises to around 60C and 46C. I can drop this by 5C CPU after cranking the cooler fan to maximum speed, it sounds like a jet engine and as I am working with audio files becomes very distracting. The heat blowing from the case is alarming. Today the ambient room temp has dropped to 19C and the pc temperatures are 47C and 34C.
It all seems very to hot to me ,is it? And what can I do about it? As I have at least two years work ahead of me I would like to squeeze the maximum processing power from this pc but without loosing its reliability, overclocking seems to be the way to go! Is it? and where do I start? For reference the other two pcs I use, use the same processors, memory and other hardware but utilising a Chaintek Zenith and an MSI Ultra N-Force motherboard. One Craps itself if you get a new piece of hardware within a foot of it! The other does the same with software! I don’t trust either of them, but strangely the both run very cool!
Old 26th September, 2003, 10:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

It sounds a bit like the airflow through the system is a bit jumbled.

You say you have a fan and ducting extracting air from over the CPU and northbridge. If that's just pulling air away from above the CPU heatsink, then it may be doing more harm than good. Why? Well, it might just be drawing the hot air exhausted from the heatsink back upwards towards the CPU fan. The CPU fan then sucks that hot air back into the heatsink, leading to poorer cooling!

Pretend for a moment that the air is actually water. Try to visualise how it will flow from the intakes to the exhausts. See if you can find places where you have a potential for that air to get recirculated inside.
Old 27th September, 2003, 12:37 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

As Aedan says...
It sound like your case temp is very high. Since you have 4 PCI devices, and I'm sure a lot of ide cables, you may have a lot of restriction.

If you have a small case, a large case that takes a lot of fans would definitely help. Also, if you aren't already, rounded cables could ease the clutter... I'm only using 6 drives myself, and even with rounded cables & SATA cables, my case is pretty cluttered.

My rig has 2 fans blowing in from the front, to blowing out from the back, and 2 fans in the PSU. This isn't good enough for me, so I'm upgrading to a similar case, but aluminum, with potential for more fans.
Old 27th September, 2003, 11:24 AM

I one intake fan at the front, 2x 120mm in side of case over SB and NB/PSU and two outtakes at the back and outtake from PSU.

Case temp rarely gets above room temp and CPU only 20-25c above that.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2003, 03:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to golfer49

If you want an excellent cpu/heatsink cooling option, try a Thermalright SLK900A with a Vantec 56 CFM 92 mm fan, make sure when you install fan it is pushing air down through the copper heatsink, mine keep an overclocked system near 41 degrees most of the time.

I also have to agree with the others, you need adequate case cooling too, you need to remove the heat from the case. One way to test this efficeincy, record all of your temps, then remove the side panel from you case, after an hour of running, check your temps again. If there is more than a couple of degrees difference, your case cooling is not up to snuff.

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 Barton 2500 AQZFA0340SPMW 11 x 214
w/SLK900A & 92 mm fan (38 deg C)
2 x WD400JD---Gainward Ti4200 8 X AGP
Twinmos PC3200 w/ Winbond chips 2 X 256
600 watt dual fan psu

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 XP1700DLT3C 10 x 225
SK7 with 80mm smartfan ( 37 deg C )
Gainward FX5200 128 Mb DDR
2 x 40 Gb Maxtor ATA 133 drives
Buffalo PC3200 2 x 256 CH5 chips
650 watt dual fan power supply

WinXP Pro, SP1, nVidia 3.13 on both
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th September, 2003, 07:39 PM

Post Its getting cooler

Thanks for all the advice! I thought about the ducted extract fan and the internal cables and went to work this afternoon. The ducted fan is now disconnected and all the cables have been re-routed as best I can. The CPU temp has dropped to 42C from 48C with a CPU fan speed of 3012 rpm. At the same room temperature (is this an OK working temp?). Although the system temp has risen to 38C, I believe this to be caused by the case having no forced extraction. This I am about to rectify by cutting the top panel and fitting 2 x 120 mm fans. The theory of the two fans opposing each other is obviously correct, as the Northbridge heatsink temp has also dropped by 6C. Would I be correct in assuming that if I can drop the case temp down, the CPU temp will drop also?
Old 27th September, 2003, 08:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to golfer49

Excellent, you have made good progress...........to answer your question, yes, if the case temps come down, the cpu temp will also come down, but NOT in direct proportion.

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 Barton 2500 AQZFA0340SPMW 11 x 214
w/SLK900A & 92 mm fan (38 deg C)
2 x WD400JD---Gainward Ti4200 8 X AGP
Twinmos PC3200 w/ Winbond chips 2 X 256
600 watt dual fan psu

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 XP1700DLT3C 10 x 225
SK7 with 80mm smartfan ( 37 deg C )
Gainward FX5200 128 Mb DDR
2 x 40 Gb Maxtor ATA 133 drives
Buffalo PC3200 2 x 256 CH5 chips
650 watt dual fan power supply

WinXP Pro, SP1, nVidia 3.13 on both
Old 27th September, 2003, 09:00 PM

My case temps are,when the cpu is idle,higher than the CPU temp idling and i use only aircooling.How is this possible is the system temp is actually the chipset temp?