AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th September, 2003, 12:16 AM

8kha+ boot time problem

I tried overclocking an AMD xp 1800+/epox 8kha+/512 megs pc2100 ddr on win 98SE

I had a go at overclocking (increased the FSB) and got it up to around 1650 mhz (stock is 1533) with no probs. I tried to go a little higher and it wouldn't boot so I tried to increase the cpu voltage. I then got a windows error (something like missing file or couldn't find file) so I went into panic mode and set everything back to default.

Everything is set at stock now and is fine but my boot time increased greatly. It went from about 20 sec. to 2 min.

I recently did a clean install of windows xp, and it takes about 3 1/2 min. to boot. What did I do???? I would surely think XP should boot up much faster than that.

Thanks in advance
Old 30th September, 2003, 01:13 AM

Fredlocks,
Hi and welcome to the AOA Forum. It sounds as though you are pushing your memory too hard. pc2100 should be 133 FSB default speed. Some modules run faster and some don't like it. If you had system restore monitoring turned on from before you tried to boost your performance, you could load from that restore point, you may have corrupted a file. Can you change the memory voltage ? If so you could bump that up a notch before overclocking.
Bob
ps. You should try bootvis , run 3 traces and then optimize. ( System will reboot between traces, takes about 15 minutes total and could get your boot times below 1 minute. Click where shown in the attachment, and do a search for "bootvis".
Attached Thumbnails
8kha+ boot time problem-aoa-forums.jpg   8kha+ boot time problem-aoa-forums.jpg  
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah

Last edited by timbob2469; 30th September, 2003 at 01:22 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 2nd October, 2003, 01:09 AM

thanks for the welcome timbob as well as the response. I will give that a try......
Old 2nd October, 2003, 01:21 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

timbob2469, I like your style! LOL
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!