AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10th October, 2003, 12:50 PM
EPoX Tech

8KTA2 - Thorton / Barton Goodness

Did you know . . . . . .

Did you know that a 2200+ Thorton / 2500+ Barton will default and run at 20 x 100 (2.0GHz) in our good old EP-8KTA2 KT133 mainboard; i.e. it actually overclocks and does the business.

It makes for a great cheap n' fast system if you have some PC133.

Obviously not a supported configuration, but gives great bang for buck all the same, especially given that we are able to offer this product delivered to the doorstep for less than £32.00 inclusive in the UK.
Old 10th October, 2003, 02:03 PM
jcool

amazing...
anyhow, it has just half the performance on that pitiful lame old chipset if u compare it with the 8RDA+...
+ all those awful bugs Via put in there...
I don't think its worth considering such a thing
Old 10th October, 2003, 02:06 PM
EPoX Tech

You're so enigmatic jcool.

It makes a great upgrade if you have the parts either way - if you have the board and memory and buy a chip or if you have the memory and chip and buy the board. Not everyone runs on such elitist values as yourself.
Old 10th October, 2003, 03:13 PM
jcool

well... I just don't believe that saving a few bucks is worth wasting so much performance and nerves.
Maybe I'm too pessimistic there but you see, I've had so many fights with KT133 mobos back in the day that it will last a lifetime...
They were the most horrible thing in the world when they were released early... You should know
plus I can get a brand-new NF2 mobo for about 50 bucks.
See my point?
Old 10th October, 2003, 03:15 PM
EPoX Tech

I see the point - you are trying to make a point.
Old 10th October, 2003, 06:41 PM
jcool

now you're enigmatic to me!
But lets stop discussing about this thing...
I think it would get us nowhere and I really don't wanna argue with u ET.
If u say its a great bang for the buck then be it an opportunity for some folks, although I think it is not
Old 10th October, 2003, 09:44 PM
Member/Contributer

ET, Can we have some more Drumz mixes?

Laz

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th October, 2003, 12:16 AM

speaking of drumz, can you reccomend some good audio creation software, looking to flex my musical brain on the PC.

ABIT AN7 2500xp-m @ 2.8ghz (H20-220 WC) , 1GB Twinmos PC3200, Radeon 9800pro(XT flashed)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th October, 2003, 10:30 AM
EPoX Tech

Reason, Cubase VST, Fruityloops, Soundforge - depends what you need and what you want to make.

A good soundcard will usually come bundled with something to get you going.......
Old 7th February, 2005, 02:19 AM

I know this thread is really really old. But....can that be really true?

The Barton 2500 has a Multiplier of 11.0 and the Thorton 2200 a multiplier of 9.0 which I would have assumed would make them run at 1100Mhz and 900Mhz respectively.
Does the 8KTA2 (I own one) automatically push up the multiplier itself for these CPU's? what BIOS version is required for this and how does it convince the CPU to play ball?
Old 7th February, 2005, 12:20 PM

I've used a mobile barton 2400+ for almost a year at 2 ghz in my old kt266a chipset motherboard. It worked without any problems although I had to set a higher multiplier with a pinmod. I think it will work the same way on the 8kta2. I sold the system to my brother and it is still working today. It was a great upgrade because it came from a 1.4ghz palomino.
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Download here OcBible 1.55 & Guidemania v1.21
Old 7th February, 2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster
I know this thread is really really old. But....can that be really true?

The Barton 2500 has a Multiplier of 11.0 and the Thorton 2200 a multiplier of 9.0 which I would have assumed would make them run at 1100Mhz and 900Mhz respectively.
Does the 8KTA2 (I own one) automatically push up the multiplier itself for these CPU's?
Mark one thing, which is really important - this thread is so old, that everybody spoke of unlocked CPUs. There is no possiblity to change a multiplier on a newer, locked Barton, unless you make a pin mod, like Wolf2000me once did.

Quote:
what BIOS version is required for this and how does it convince the CPU to play ball?
I've no idea, sincerely. Plz ask ET, provoding he can recall such things after almost 1.5 years.
Old 10th February, 2005, 03:05 PM

Woolf...you mention setting a higher multiplier with a "pinmod" is this like the XP-TMC device? Where can i get one of these, or similar in the Uk that will allow me to increase the multiplier beyond 12.5?
Old 10th February, 2005, 05:17 PM

toaster...

You could use that but why should you, you can do it by just dropping some u-shaped wire in some of the socketholes. Shorting them and setting a multiplier. I always use the wire i can scavenge from old IDE cables.
http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2

Old 10th February, 2005, 05:49 PM

Does that unlock the multiplier beyond 12.5?

I've got a palomino core XP 1700 right here that i've unlocked through the L1 bridge method, however my motherboard only supports mulitplier selection 5.0 > 12.5 through a dip switch on the motherboard.
Old 10th February, 2005, 07:07 PM

Well, it does not 'unlock' anything. You have to pinmod to the exact multiplier you want. I'm speaking from my experience with my old abit KR7A-raid, there was a pinmod to be able to go above 12.5x. You will lose the use of the <13x multipliers. You can find that pinmod on the page I mentioned. If you look at all multipliers above 13x you will notice there's always one wire the same in any setting. That's the one you may need. The downside to that was that i couldn't get any 4/2/1 divider setting to post so 100 mhz fsb was the max when i didn't want any frequencies raised. I was used to go above 150 fsb so that would mean a serious liability to my pci devices. There was a workaround however, which i forgot.
The whole story is here:
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...&page=49&pp=15
It's a long read but most info is there.

And do not forget! That's for the Abit KR7A series, it is a kt266a motherboard and that's the only similarity (which may be enough to work).
2x WD Raptors 74gb R0
2x Maxtor 300gb
Asus Geforce EN8800GT
Windoors XP Pro sp2