AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th November, 2003, 08:54 PM

New Socket A Mobo Advice

Hi,

I am considering purchasing an Epox 8KRA2+ Motherboard.

I have the following components, which I intend to use on the above board, can you provide feedback regarding compatibility or
configuration issues that may arise, to allow to decide if this board is the right choice.

CPU : AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (333Mhz FSB)
RAM : 2 x TwinMos 512Mb PC2700 DDR CL2.5
VGA : ATI Radeon 8500 AGP 64Mb
AUDIO : Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Player
HDD 1 : Seagate 120Gb SATA
HDD 2 : IBM 40Gb PATA UDMA100
PSU : Q-Tec 550W Twin Fan

I would also appreciate if you can tell me if there are any known issues surrounding this board.

I have learned that there may be a problem for me to perform a clean install of Windows XP onto my SATA HDD, since there is an issue
surrounding booting from SATA while another HDD is attached to either of the PATA IDE controllers, can you confirm if there is a
work around of fix available ?

Many thanks for your assistance.
Old 12th November, 2003, 08:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to golfer49

Twinmos is great memory, but get the PC3700, it only cost a few bucks more, and will save you many headaches later when you want to overclock, the rest of the system looks good! The 8RDA3+ might be a better choice for a board?

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 Barton 2500 AQZFA0340SPMW 11 x 214
w/SLK900A & 92 mm fan (38 deg C)
2 x WD400JD---Gainward Ti4200 8 X AGP
Twinmos PC3200 w/ Winbond chips 2 X 256
600 watt dual fan psu

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 XP1700DLT3C 10 x 225
SK7 with 80mm smartfan ( 37 deg C )
Gainward FX5200 128 Mb DDR
2 x 40 Gb Maxtor ATA 133 drives
Buffalo PC3200 2 x 256 CH5 chips
650 watt dual fan power supply

WinXP Pro, SP1, nVidia 3.13 on both
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2003, 09:01 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

You might want To take a look at this and re-consider? ":O}

8K9A7I - The New Rock & Roll
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12th November, 2003, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel ~
You might want To take a look at this and re-consider? ":O}

8K9A7I - The New Rock & Roll
Looks good, but I wonder why the use of the older KT400A and not the KT600 ?

From what I see regarding the specs of the VIA chipsets, the KT600 encompasses all the features of previos models.

Is there something wrong with the 8KRA2+, seems everyone recommends nForce II, but this is one chip I want to aviod so I can be sure there is no "Compatibility" issues with my current ATI card and possibly a future one for that matter.

I have an MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR, and I am not impressed with it at all, hence the move to Epox and one of their so called "Latest and greatest" boards.
Old 13th November, 2003, 06:11 PM
EPoX Tech

Nothing wrong with either the KT400a or KT600 and memory compatibility is greater too, performance certainly is smashing and a great bank for buck product.

Both can be purchased very reasonably at http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/home.php?cat=315

PSU may cause a problem though since QTec PSU's are very prone to dying, instability and killing components (HDD, Mobo, CDROM etc). I have mATX 150W supplies of far greater quality here that are batch certed for running 3.2EE Processors - a far greater prospect of a PSU at a far lesser wattage.
Old 13th November, 2003, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
Nothing wrong with either the KT400a or KT600 and memory compatibility is greater too, performance certainly is smashing and a great bank for buck product.

Both can be purchased very reasonably at http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/home.php?cat=315

PSU may cause a problem though since QTec PSU's are very prone to dying, instability and killing components (HDD, Mobo, CDROM etc). I have mATX 150W supplies of far greater quality here that are batch certed for running 3.2EE Processors - a far greater prospect of a PSU at a far lesser wattage.

Thanks for your assistance with this.

2 Final questions :

I noticed the 8KRA2+ uses a VIA Lan Chip - VT6103, Where can I download the latest drivers for it, I don't see it listed at VIA's website and can't see any other board using this particular chip.

Also noticed, that Epox UK have a disclaimer on their Support Form, saying that any Epox product bought through Redstar and Komplett are not covered by a UK warranty, why is this ?

Thanks again
Old 13th November, 2003, 06:50 PM
EPoX Tech

Drivers for onboard LAN are available to download here

Redstar & Komplett

Those products from those suppliers do not originate from EPoX UK, and hence are not supported by EPoX UK. For recommended resellers, please visit http://www.epox.org/purchase.
Old 13th November, 2003, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Drivers for onboard LAN are available to download here

Redstar & Komplett

Those products from those suppliers do not originate from EPoX UK, and hence are not supported by EPoX UK. For recommended resellers, please visit http://www.epox.org/purchase.
Just spoke to Scan, the guy there told me that this board is discontinued and hence why they don't stock it no more.

Can you shed any light onto this ?

Thanks by the way, this is great support.
Old 13th November, 2003, 07:02 PM
EPoX Tech

That information is incorect - it is a current product still in manufacture.
Old 13th November, 2003, 07:05 PM

Quote:
That information is incorect - it is a current product still in manufacture.

Oh good, just what I wanted to hear.

Out of curiousity can you recommend a PSU that is good for this board ?

Thanks again
Old 14th November, 2003, 03:31 AM

Here you go, http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=1841 it's dated July 2003 but it still is a very good guide. I personally go with Enermax. I've been using and recommending it for years and it hasn't failed me yet
AIUHB0316MPH 27648
Thermaltake Volcano 12 (Arctic Silver Ceramique)
Vantec ICEBERQ CCB-A1C
Two Apacer 512MB PC3200
Maxtor 80GB UDMA 133 7200 rpm 2MB Buffer 6Y080L0
ViewSonic VE500
Enermax 365P-VE
Gainward GF4 4800SE 64M AGP8x
LiteOn 40x12x48x CDRW
ASUS CD-S520/A 52x
Creative Modem Blaster 56kPCI Internal DI5655
Chicony USB keyboard
A4tech MOP17 USB mouse
Old 14th November, 2003, 09:14 AM
EPoX Tech

I wouldn't go Enermax unfortunatley - very poor combined lines (even on newer models) and ill equipped current in standby rail for S1 and S3 app.

Enhance are a very very good PSU manufacturer based upon pricing and overall quality - the equilibrium of both of those factors will give most satisfaction to your pocket and your stability.

It's not necessary either to use a PSU greater than 300W unless the application so requires; i.e. Dual CPU, hosted peltier or equivalent.
Old 14th November, 2003, 11:36 AM
Member/Contributer

ET, any more Drumz mixes inthe pipeline? And can you give us some info on your Mini-Me?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th November, 2003, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't go Enermax unfortunatley - very poor combined lines (even on newer models) and ill equipped current in standby rail for S1 and S3 app.
That's exacly what I experienced with a (older) 350W Enermax PSU. The 5V line dropped below 4.78V under heavy CPU load. I changed to a 300W PSU from HEC and the spontaneous reboots were gone. 5V stood fixed at 4,9V. It was even less noisy than the Enermax.

Max

----------------------------------
Epox 8K5A2+
XP1800 T-Bred B @2324 MHz (166*14) 1.7Volt, watercooled
2x 256MB DDR-RAM Samsung cl2.5 333MHz @ cl2
1x IBM 60GB 120 GXP @ VIA aircooled
2x IBM 60GB 180 GXP @ HPT aircooled RAID 0
GF FX5900XT VTD128, 128MB, VIVO, watercooled
DVD 16x LG
Burner 32x LG @40x
----------------------------------
Old 14th November, 2003, 12:46 PM
Member/Contributer

Where can one get an Enhance PSU in the UK Epox Tech?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th November, 2003, 12:52 PM
EPoX Tech

There's a few in the office here, but uunfortunatley not much help to you there. I will be trying to get some vendors to stock them.

Too many people are buying High Wattgae low quaity units in the UK based upon pricing and high wattage figures.

Tekheads have some 300W'ers in at http://<a href="http://www.tekheads....ct=601977&</a>
Old 14th November, 2003, 01:01 PM
Member/Contributer

What, you mean my 550W Q-Tec that I paid £25 for is a little overkill?
I've found a few here too:
http://www.bid-mania.co.uk/section.php?xSec=102

Drumz Et?

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Old 14th November, 2003, 01:22 PM
EPoX Tech

QTec 550W isn't overkill - just unfortunatley not very good at doing what it should.

No more Drumz atm as I've been all over the show for the last month or so around our fine country and a few others, although I will make an effort to make one next week.

I will be playing next week at Subway City in Birmingham on 21st November. Drumz Live!
Old 15th November, 2003, 11:03 AM

Well, I guess it's a personal preference thing. I still prefer Enermax though Let me share a rule in connecting peripherals that share lines, it's all in the AMPS.

Read the rated AMPS of your peripheral and make sure you don't let power hungry devices share same lines. I usually find this true with people who want their PCs to have a "uncluttered" effect but please make it a habit to read the power consumed by your devices before planning the "look" of the PC.

I have yet to try an Enhance or a HEC brand, though I've seen people buying HEC brands and say that it's OK. Like I said, it's a personal preference thing. I would suggest reading reviews of the brand and model of the PSU before you buy. Good Luck
AIUHB0316MPH 27648
Thermaltake Volcano 12 (Arctic Silver Ceramique)
Vantec ICEBERQ CCB-A1C
Two Apacer 512MB PC3200
Maxtor 80GB UDMA 133 7200 rpm 2MB Buffer 6Y080L0
ViewSonic VE500
Enermax 365P-VE
Gainward GF4 4800SE 64M AGP8x
LiteOn 40x12x48x CDRW
ASUS CD-S520/A 52x
Creative Modem Blaster 56kPCI Internal DI5655
Chicony USB keyboard
A4tech MOP17 USB mouse