AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th November, 2003, 06:19 PM

8k3a+ permanent sound problems

hi guys,
i hope that i came to the right place with this question:

i own a 8k3a+ for a year now and i always had minor or major problems with the sound controller, alc650 (or more likely with the drivers).
first all seemed all right, i used the latest drivers available at epox, though i had problems with e.g. counter strike: when installing the driver, i had to click 'keep this file' twice or cs didnt have sound or was immensely unstable. im sorry that i cant remember the version of the driver, but it was a year ago.
from that time i always have some problems with the sound. i figured out that at epox sites didnt have the latest drivers at all and started to experiment with drivers available at viaarena and at realtek hp. via drivers had (and have) a strange noisy, clicky sound and with the earlier ones from realtek (e.g. 3.45) had stability problems (still under counter strike but not only), and the later ones (e.g. latest 3.51) didnt even work (in control panel in soundcard properties there is an error message aboun ntkernel and loader - couldnt understand the half of it).
which seemed to work best was surprisingly 3.45 vxd, though it is for w95, installed without setup, with 'add new hardware'. but today i installed no one lives forever 1, and behaved VERY strangely: ingame sounds looped, and sounded very bad (my english isnt good enough to describe it properly).
i know this isnt the right driver for this system, but then again: which is? oh yes, i use only headphones, so no need for 6ch feature.

i have
hw:
epox 8k3a+ (alc650)
athlon xp 2000+
leadtek gf3

sw:
w98eng
dx9.0b
via4in1 4.49
detonator 45.23
ie6sp1
nothing like codecpacks or anything that could influence audio performance

cant imagine this problem only occurs to me: any experiences like this? ideas? this really brings me down. if i werent that subborn i would have bought a cheap soundcard ages ago.

please help,
galocza
Old 17th November, 2003, 10:44 PM

ok, it seems to be hard. i dont really want you to guess whats the problem with my comp several thousand miles away. something like "i have w98eng i use this and that driver and it works fine" or "NEVER use this or that driver because it sux" would be fine. some lead. via or realtek driver e.g. settings to modify. anything.
one another thing, with realtek drivers around 3.45 i had another issue: if i started an mp3 right after booting, winamp (or media player) stopped responding and i had a hard time even with restarting windows. but if i started a video (xvid+mp3 avi e.g.) first and then tried to play the same mp3 file->no problems...
anybody? anything?
Old 18th November, 2003, 03:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to nfrenay

I think that it will be hard to find someone that still uses Windows 98 these days.

It's a little bit faster then the newer Windows (2000/XP) but it's way too unstable for hard use.

I have no idea how to help you.
- 512Mb Kingston Hyper-X PC2700 @ 2-2-6-2-1 @ 198MHz @ 2.67V
- MSI GF4 Ti4400 VIVO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!