AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th December, 2003, 07:09 AM

8RDA3I UT2K3 Stuttering

New 8RDA3I user here.

I've gone through the paces testing this mobo in SINGLE CHANNEL and all seems fine and speedy - that is when I fired up a stress test botmatch in UT2K3 with 16 bots (Avarice map). I usually go on spectator mode for about an hour and see if the system crashes.

This time, I get occasional graphic stuttering/hitches in certain parts of the map. This happens while there is NO hard disk activity It's bad - like the FPS suddenly takes a dive to around 5-10 fps and seems as if it's skipping frames.

Tested this with my usual setting of 128MB AGP aperture size and AGP 4x with sideband and fastwrites enabled. Tested this across several FSB's (166,180,200) too. This never happened with my 8K3A using exactly the same hardware (except for the mobo of course ) and settings. Oh, BTW, my bios date is August 28, 2003.

Since this board shares the same design and layout as that of the other 8RDA3 series, I was wondering if any of you people have experienced this.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Specs:
nVidia NF2 system driver: 2.41 (latest for WinME)
AXP 1800 T-bred DLT3C
1 stick 512MB Winbond BH-6 @ 2-2-2-6(11) @ 2.9v
Leadtek GF4 Ti4200 (64MB) using Detonator 45.23
Seagate Barracuda IV 40GB
Creative Vibra 128
Creative Modem Blaster (PCI 56k)
Onboard LAN, sound, serial & parallel ports, FDD, MIDI and game ports DISABLED

Last edited by Woof!; 11th December, 2003 at 07:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2003, 01:04 PM

I've found the problem. Apparently, there is some glitch in the BIOS wherein the AGP aperture setting is always one notch lower than the selected (so if selected is 128, actual is 64; and when 256 is selected, actual is 128). I thought this issue has been fixed in the latest BIOS dated Nov. 26 (RDA33B26) but apparently it still persists.

Confirmed this in Sandra Max wherein the reported total AGP memory memory is lower than onboard + BIOS AGP aperture setting. 3DM2K1 also shows this under system info > display devices.

What's happening in UT2K3 is that the program isn't getting enough texture memory as all details are maxed out. Hence the skipping and choppy framerates. Sometimes the textures even gray out (missing).

Hope Epox Tech can address this in the next BIOS update.

Last edited by Woof!; 11th December, 2003 at 01:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11th December, 2003, 02:22 PM
EPoX Tech

The problem is actually Sandra, rather than the BIOS! For many years that software has been showing people information, some of it right some of it wrong - many people in the industry will agree.

Would recommend any R(v)xx based cards use 128MB aperture.
Old 12th December, 2003, 04:04 AM

Thanks for responding ET!

I'm aware of Sandra's long history of incorrectly reporting system level specs. But in this particular case, I believe the BIOS should be double checked. I have three programs showing that it is reporting it incorrectly:

Sandra Max
3DM2k1
3DM2k3

Add to that the funny behavior of UT2K3. Note that it never happened on my 8K3A and all three abovementioned programs report the aperture size correctly. All my testing was done with exactly the same configuration and equipment.

It would help if some people using the same board series (8RDAE, 8RDA3, 8RDA3+, 8RDA3G) post their findings.

Thanks for the tip for R(v)xx cards although the card I'm using on this rig is a GF4 Ti4200.

I guess it's still something to look into.
Old 12th December, 2003, 07:54 AM

@ET

On further thought, is the NF2 Ultra400 chipset BIOS designed this way. Since I'm using only single channel, only half of the indicated AGP aperture is actually available. Would the setting be correct if I actually enabled dual channel.

My theory is that the BIOS splits the AGP aperture evenly across two memory controllers, hence I would be only seeing half of that with single channel operation. People running dual channel (which means most people here) wouldn't have noticed this as Windows would be using exactly the size they specified in the BIOS.

Although I have 2 x 512MB memory modules here, I'm not able to test this theory since i'm still using WinME that recognizes only a maximum of 512MB.

If this is indeed the case, then I'm sorry to have bothered you or insisted that the BIOS be checked again. But it is sure a bit confusing. Hope to get a clarification from you.

Thanks!

NB: It would also make sense why Epox BIOSes have been setting the AGP aperture increasingly higher by default with each revision. The latest one defaults to 128MB whereas the earlier ones default to only 32MB

Last edited by Woof!; 12th December, 2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 13th December, 2003, 05:33 PM

Managed to run WinME with 1024 megs and got dual channel running. The aperture size is still incorrect. The actual size used by Windows is always one step lower than what I select in BIOS.

@ ET - Definitely something to look into for the next BIOS revision.

BTW, this issue applies to the following boards: 8RDAE, 8RDA3 and 8RDA3I. Other higher end variants like the 8RDA3G and 8RDA3+ use a different BIOS file and I have no idea if they run into this issue as well.

Hope this helps.