AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st December, 2003, 06:02 PM

8RDA3+ and SATA problem

How can i use the onboard SATA connector for single drive.
It doesn't work with the driver in the package or is it only for raid use so i must buy one more hd.
I want to do a fresh XP installation.

XP can't format the disc I've even tried MAxblast 2
I don't know if I'm doing any wrong, SATA enabled in bios and using the F6 key under XP installation to load driver.. new Bios 8RD33A17 doesn't work either.... tried driver V1.0.0.28 and V1.0.0.32
Tested the disc on an Asus board and it worked great

Any suggestions.. please (sorry for my english... from Sweden)

Epox 8RDA3+ Rev 2.1
DDR 2700 2x256
psu 340W
xp2400
No OC

Last edited by Wilden; 21st December, 2003 at 06:12 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd December, 2003, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilden
How can i use the onboard SATA connector for single drive.
It doesn't work with the driver in the package or is it only for raid use so i must buy one more hd.
I want to do a fresh XP installation.
I don't have an answer I'm afraid, but using a single SATA drive on its own does work - I've done it myself with the same mobo and a single Raptor SATA drive...

This was about 8 months ago so I'm afraid I don't remember the details of how I did my fresh XP install...

After powering up your PC and the POST screen has cleared, do you get a list of the Serial ATA hard disks that the system has found?
If this screen doesn't appear at all or doesn't find your disk then your problem must be the BIOS configuration or cabling!

(I can supply further info on my configs if it will help)

good luck!
Dan
Old 23rd December, 2003, 04:48 PM

I have a maxtor 160 gb, it shows after powering up but when Xp is going to format the drive it always fail when doing a fresh installation... I tried it with Asus mb and it worked just fine... so the cable is ok..
Now i have ordered another Sata-drive to make a Raid installation instead... I hope that will do...
I will post it if I succeed in Raid-config and install..

Thanks for answering...
Old 24th December, 2003, 01:09 PM

I have 1 sata HD . but if you have any ide drives pluged in it will choose those over stata .

best way if u have any ide drives un plug untill after you have installed windows
Maxtor Dmax +9 SATA
2 x 512 crucial PC2700 7,3,3,2.5 @ 166
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 29th December, 2003, 09:00 AM

The sata HD is the only drive I've got.. and now I tried changing the bios in different way but it can't write to the drive in the right speed or it fails...
I formatted the drive on an Asus board and Xp accepted it but I gave up after an hour.. "it was very slow on writing to the drive"

Now I'm waiting for my other sata HD to go raid..

I've got rev 2.1 on my mobo maybe it's problem with driver.. I've tried severel of them...

Maybe it's something wrong with mobo...
a few more days then I will send it back..
Old 29th December, 2003, 04:53 PM

At last I Found the problem.. It was a Chassi-fan with speedcontrol that made the 12volt supply go up and down for the Sata-drive.... very sensitive that drive, did'nt work very well with low Voltage
If U have problems like mine check your powersupply
It work great now
Old 29th December, 2003, 07:11 PM

Well done for finding a resolution, quite a quirky one!

I've just remembered something vaguely similar a few years ago with a brand new Seagate IDE drive - it worked fine in any other machine other than mine (which of course was where it was supposed to go).

It turned out that the controller chips on this particular drive cheekily took their power from the IDE cable (a weak 3.3v feed) rather than a 5v feed from the power connector, and my mobo wasn't supplying enough juice down the IDE cable.

Solution? Buy a different hard disk or motherboard!

Anyway, glad it's sorted...