AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th December, 2003, 08:34 AM

Sil3112a SATA driver(s) For 8RDA3+

I’m rather fanatical about keeping my drives all up-to-date and noticed that when I ran Windows Update it indicated that a newer version of the SATA driver was available.

So I decided to go to Silicon Image’s site and check out drivers there (http://12.24.47.40/display/2/index.a...=2&r=0.3989527 – click on the “Downloads/Drivers/SiI3x12” links on the right). A tad puzzling: two drivers, a serial IDE driver and a RAID driver; also, the info files on these drivers mention add-on PCI cards as opposed to on-board mobo chips, like my 8RDA3+ has.

Question: are these drivers meant to be used with this mobo? Is it safe?

Thanks in advance…
Old 26th December, 2003, 04:29 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

I doubt it... SI, Promise and HPT all have retail PCI cards using the same controller chip as found on many mobos. These retail cards are usually a bit better with more features than the cut down mobo versions... Keep in mind that since they are being sold retail, the mfgrs have a vested interest in supporting and updating drivers. If you want to keep your drivers up to date, remember that the mobo bios also contains the raid bios as well. If you update drivers, they have to match the raid bios or problems can come up. Unless you are into bios hacking, it is best to stick with the mobo mfgr's recommendations for the best drivers, which often seem dated, but at least have been tested for compatibility.
Old 27th December, 2003, 03:53 AM

Thanks for the comment . . . and sound advise.

Much appreciated.

jim
Old 27th December, 2003, 12:35 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Personally, I work on the basis that if it's not broke, don't fix it. If your drivers work properly, then don't worry about upgrading them. Newer drivers don't mean better performance or less bugs unfortunately.

On the other hand if you're having some problems, then a driver update might well be timely.
Old 27th December, 2003, 12:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Veky Send a message via AIM to Veky Send a message via MSN to Veky Send a message via Yahoo to Veky

Only the SATA RAID driver works on 8rda3+, just tried it yesterday.
PNY GeForce 6800GT
Seagate 250GB SATA
Tagan 430W PSU
Windows XP SP2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!