AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st January, 2004, 03:26 AM

Lightbulb BIOS for Older Motherboards

Ok here is my observation-
I recently acquired the EP-58MVP3C-m 100MHz motherboard and placed a previously used 30 gig harddrive into the box. This hardrive has Win98 and W2K installed, utilizing Partition Magic. Windows 98 booted up fairly well and recognized a few new devices. No big deal.
W2K on the other hand provided the BSD indicating the BIOS was NOT fully acpi compliant.
This is what brought me to EPOX. I have spent an inordinant amount of time and have yet to find the appropriate path to a successful flash.
I protest buying the flash from sites like Award-BIOS.com. I originally expected EPOX websites to provide access to the required information.
Now it seems I need help from an experienced person on what I can do to help myself get this MB BIOS flashed.
Thanks in Advanced.
Buqqq
Old 1st January, 2004, 07:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Repo Man Send a message via AIM to Repo Man

Those are a good old motherboard. If you already have the latest BIOS for it, then you'll need a flash utility. Take a look here, http://www.wimsbios.com/ . I would try one of the earlier versions of Award flash. Or you could try Uniflash, it is listed on that page as well.

For a boot disk, I'd get one from www.bootdisk.com .

Good luck.
Old 1st January, 2004, 09:37 PM

Hi Repo Man,

These are great sources you provided. thnx
Thing is just that I have yet to find the any BIOS to use. I know its important to use the correct BIOS otherwise I risk disabling the MB.
The EPOX site does NOT provide the BIOS upgrade.
I have awdflash.exe for my utility. As best I can determine, I have vp300411.exe as a bios upgrade. I am just not positive it is the right one. I got the vp300411.exe from http://www.motherboards.org/biosup/p...3C-M/1061.html.
What is your take on its plausibility?
Old 1st January, 2004, 09:57 PM

Here is a site that has the latest BIOS for that board, http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm .

Edit: They both have the same one. I trust Jan Steunebrink's site, so I think you're safe. I'm surprised that it isn't still available from Epox. BIOS files are so small, it's not as though it would use much bandwidth to continue to host it for those who still have use for older equipment.

Last edited by Repo Man; 1st January, 2004 at 10:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1st January, 2004, 10:09 PM

A nice thing about that file is that it includes the flash utility, and a Read Me to detail how to do it. So you should be all set.
Old 1st January, 2004, 10:15 PM

Right on RepoMan,
I greatly appreciate your experience and willingness to help others, makes life better. 3 cheers 4 U.
I will investigater and make a report back. Hehe, should have it on your desk in the morning.
Old 2nd January, 2004, 08:09 AM

Here is a lesson. In order for a CPU to be "fully" acpi compliant, the MB must utilize an ATX power supply. AT power supplies do not allow a person to sut down the computer from the menu, you have to use the power switch.
Another 2 cents.
Buqqq