AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd January, 2004, 11:28 AM

EP8K7A+ & HPT370A: RAID0 to RAID0+1... how?

Hi, any help would be GREATLY appreciated As will shortly be evidenced, I'm a fair novice at the RAID game.

Hardware:
Epox EP8K7A+ with Highpoint HPT370A RAID controller.
The MoBo BIOS has been flashed to the 5/29/2002 load.
The RAID BIOS has been flashed to v2.32 (the RAID drivers and GUI app are at v2.32 as well).

Issue:
I have an existing RAID0 drive (striped between 2 30gb WD drives) and I would like to mirror it for safety. I bought two additional drives of the same manufacturer and capacity but I can't figure out how to add those as a mirror after the fact.

If I stripe them first, the RAID controller doesn't recognize them as drives that could be used as a mirror. If I leave them blank, I can only mirror between the two new drives.

Is there no way to move from RAID0 to RAID0+1 with HPT370A controller? Seems somewhat odd not to be able to add a mirror to an existing RAID0 setup, doesn't it? Which is why I think I'm missing some obvious reason why I can't do this.

Things I've tried:

Since this is an existing installation, I considered moving to two RAID1 setups instead of a RAID0+1 ... but between the 4 drives I have I can't get there. I set drive #3 and #4 as RAID1, then used CasperXP to copy the RAID0 partitions over to the RAID1 drive (so I could then break the RAID0 setup and make it RAID1). This appeared to work as I could independently boot drive #3 correctly with what appears to be all info intact. But drive #4 wouldn't boot when I tested it. Then the RAID controller wanted to correct the mirror and after it was done neither would boot independently (or together).

Then I broke the RAID1 setup into just drive #3 and #4 and copied the RAID0 drive onto #3 using CasperXP. It booted fine, but when I tried to create a RAID1 drive (i.e, add #4 as a mirror to #3), the RAID controller said I couldn't use a bootable drive in the mirror).

So now I just have two RAID0 setups and I'm using CasperXP to copy the original RAID0 drive to the new RAID0 drive.

One odd thing: When I use CasperXP to copy the original RAID0 hard disk, it's bootable and everything appears to be there and run fine, however some of the system tray icons are missing (although those applications still work fine and are still in the startup). This is extremely odd to me and makes me wonder about the rest of the copy. It it's making a bit-wise copy, it seems like *everything* should be exactly the same on boot, right? How could just this be different?

In any event, my goal is to add in the two new drives so that I can get a RAID0+1 setup, not just two independent RAID0's. Thanks for any help!!

John Q.