AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd January, 2004, 11:43 AM

Exclamation EP 4SDA+ Error 26 "Overclock Failure"

Oh hi, first post as always comes with a question and a smile

Ok, so i've been running my system like this

Mobo: EP 4SDA+
CPU: P4 2Ghz
RAM: 512mb PC2700 (single stick)
GPU: Geforce 4 Ti4200
2 Maxtor Hard drives
floppy + CD Drive
350watt PSU (came with chieftec Dragon case)

More details can be given if necessary of course, it'll just need a little rummaging around

***The Problem***

I’m getting an error code on the LED display on boot, to begin with this was intermittent with rebooting getting it to work every now and again but generally deteriorated quite rapidly before xmas and now whenever I power on I get

26 as an error which according to the Epox codes means "overclock failure".

Right here's where i get confused, i hadn't overclocked the machine over moved it prior to this problem occurring. I haven’t changed any voltage settings or bios details. So the only other advice i could find was to reset the cmos, which hasn't done any good.

So i'm looking for any help possible, because I’m going to need this rig on the ninth and would like to know how to fix it before then

Any advice or help is very much appreciated. I did search before hand but could come up with no similar problems so i hope the community can help.

Ta,

Bluey
Old 2nd January, 2004, 08:22 PM
AOA Staff

Have you checked the cmos battery?
Old 2nd January, 2004, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Have you checked the cmos battery?
Checked it? How would i do that? I wouldn't have though it would be that though as the board is only 1 and a half years old. But if you think that's what it sounds like ill check it out
Old 2nd January, 2004, 10:18 PM
AOA Staff

Battery should last at least a few years, from the date of manufacture. I believe they discharge even when not fitted.

If the battery dies the BIOS settings will revert back to default - but you say your settings are default anyhow, so you wouldn't notice this.

A replacement battery is cheap and easy to fit - so it is a good starting point.
Old 2nd January, 2004, 10:40 PM
AOA Staff

Does the PC remember the correct time when switched off?
Old 3rd January, 2004, 06:45 PM

That's the thing, it won't switch on as the motherboard sits at "26" on the LED display and won't boot any further. It was intermittant allowing me to get to windows where the time was correct but now it won't even get past "26" before there is even anything displayed on the screen
Old 3rd January, 2004, 10:31 PM
AOA Staff

Sorry, I didn't realise that it was hanging and not booting windows.

All I can suggest is that you remove the memory and test it in another machine and do the same with the CPU.

Post code 26h is listed as 'reserved' not 'overclock fail'.

Have you been able to contact Epox support at all?
Old 4th January, 2004, 12:07 AM

According to epox's site and te manual it means overclock fail. I'm in the process of contacting them at the moment so hopefully they'll get back to me soon

Thanks for your help
Old 5th January, 2004, 10:16 AM

Please does no-one have any further helping points?
Old 5th January, 2004, 09:00 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey
According to epox's site and te manual it means overclock fail.
You're quite right it is listed as 'overclock fail' in the front of the manual, I was looking in the appendix where for some reason 26h is listed as 'reserved'.

Are you able to get into the BIOS setup utility when the PC tries to boot?

If you can, then try the 'load optimized defaults' selection. If that doesn't help try setting your CPU up manually. I think the settings for a P4 2.0ghz would be multiplier = 20, fsb = 100mhz (=400mhz bus) you may need to check this. Although, I see you have PC2700 RAM which may not be capable of 400mhz. PC2700 is guaranteed up to 333mhz.

If you can't get in to your BIOS settings, then it is likely that your hardware is faulty. Could it be possible that you have been running your memory to fast (at 400mhz)? This might have damaged it.

Can anyone else help further?

Last edited by danrok; 5th January, 2004 at 09:21 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th January, 2004, 09:44 PM

I havn't been running my Ram overclocked to my knowledge, it won't even get to the BIOS it hangs before hand. If i knew what the problem was i'd buy the component and get it sorted straight away, but at the moment i'm chasing shadows. I've taken it apart and reseated everything and tried different ram slots.

I've tried a diffferent power supply as well. All Voltages are set on "auto".

Funny you should talk about setting it all manually as i am in the process of doing that now.

Ta for all of your help. Can anyone else lend a hand?