AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th January, 2004, 08:19 PM

8kra2+/moderators ask why no nf2/no pata raid?

another moderator just asked why no nf2 mobo
i just bought 2 8mb pata drives

hi
i plan on getting this kt600 epox board replacing msi kt3 ultra2-r
[given the kt880 doesnt pop up ]
it has hpt372 raid controller

would the pci latency still be an issue with via 8237

could anybody link me to a guide /tutor how to setup raid0

im a photoshopoholic using pix file sizes ranging from 3-25mb
what stripe size etc..
would be the optimal recommended values

also im running 98lite http://www.litepc.com/
what version via 4 in 1

the new bios has cpu/ram settings im unfamiliar with

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=7&var1=18
bios screenshots
http://www.amdzone.com/articleview....eid=1324&page=4
http://www.amdzone.com/articleview....eid=1324&page=5

im an ultra soft overclocker 2-5mhz

bios settings youd use?
im probably getting either ocz perf 512mb
or corsair xms 2-3-3-6-1t

id love 400 bus xp3000
most likely 2800/333 i am poor

thanks in advance i hope
Old 4th January, 2004, 10:22 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Some of the links you've posted are broken

You'd have to tell us what BIOS settings you're unfamiliar with, as we have no way of realistically guessing what you do and don't know already!

In terms of RAID 0, if you're using Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3, then there's an option to do striping in software. This isn't far off what the Highpoint controllers do anyhow, as they don't have the necessary equipment onboard to do the striping in hardware.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Win98 for Photoshop usage, although you might get away with it for smaller file sizes. I've found that Windows 2000 provides much better memory management and stability, especially when working with large images.

Also, your Photoshop set up will make a large difference to the level of performance you can acheive. You should ideally set the first scratch disk to a hard disk with plenty of space and a high read/write speed. This should not be set to a hard disk which is used for swap file! You can use more than scratch disk, but ensure they are seperate disks, rather than just seperate partitions. (Using more than one partition on the same physical drive will just slow it down as the head has to flick between the different partitions)

Photoshop also uses image caching to help speed redraws as you work. Increasing the level of caching can increase the performance when working with larger images, but slows down the speed at which Photoshop opens files.

Disabling the Digimark Watermarking plugin can also speed up reads, as the Detect Watermark plugin runs every time you open an image.

You can also disable the maximize PSD compatibility, which will decrease the size of any PSD files you save, but at a cost of compatibility with older versions of Photoshop. Working with a Photoshop image typically takes somewhere between three and five times the size of the decompressed image.

Incidently, Photoshop CS will only work on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It will not operate on Windows 9x platforms (95/98/ME).