AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 9th January, 2004, 07:46 AM

Problems with 8KTA3

Epox guys>

I'm tearing my hair out. I'm trying to build a database server to get started on my graduate thesis project and I keep running into problem after problem with my 8KTA3(plus?) Mobo. I bought it off a friend a while ago and it was up and running a web server for months without a hinge. But I altered the hardware setup for its new use, and everything is going haywire.

First off, I can only get it to boot clean bare bones with a PCI All-In- Wonder Radeon, HD, and an NEC EIDE CD-ROM. I need it to be networked, but when I add a NIC, it hangs with POST code 96 or 8b depending on how the sun is shining that moment. I tried two different cards, a 3COM 3C905C-TXM, and a 3COM 3C905B.

Also, I have and Adaptec SCSI adapter (model 29160) that I NEED to be on this system to host an HP SCSI CD-RW and two external Seagate SCSI HDs. Plugging this card in alone causes an instant hang and a POST code of 8b.

Pluggin both in causes a very slow boot up, and a hang at "Updating ESCD ... Success" with a POST code of 96.

There is no operating system yet (blank HD), but all hardware has been tested several times in other systems and works peachy.

I've tried loading BIOS "fail safe defaults", "optomized defaults", and even tooled around myself creating what I felt was a good custom solution. Nothing seems to allow me to get through startup.

The intended OS is freeBSD 4.9, but since I cant even get the install CD to boot, it hardly matters.

At this point any help would be amazing, since i'm about to give up and practice my karate skills on copper and solder (HIYAAA!)

-OA
Rochester, NY