AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11th January, 2004, 12:05 AM

8KRA2+ & SB Audigy & Others

Just installed this mobo as replacement for my Abit KR7A RAID as I wanted to upgrade the processor above 2200+ and retain all my HDD's.

Spent some time examining the IRQ sharing and decided to the SB Audigy in PCI 6 as it only shares an IRQ with PCI 4 and leave PCI 4 empty. In theory this means the SB does not have to share an IRQ with anything. However, I found that I could not get a succesfull install with the HPT controller enabled ( I have four HDD's attached to the HPT controller). If I disabled the HPT, then the SB would install without problems.

I moved the SB to PCI 3 which shares an IRQ with the USB and enabled the HPT controller, installed OK. Waiting to see if sharing an IRQ with the USB causes problems, OK so far.

So, is the IRQ table page 4-22 in the manual wrong ? or has someone had a similar problem and discovered something I've missed.

Has anyone found a way to boot from either of the HPT controller, the BIOS does not appear to give any option to do this.

The only way I could get the board to recognise the XP3200+ was to physically alter the jumper, I could not do it via the BIOS, is this correct or should the BIOS all setting of the FSB ? The FSB setting is always greyed out despite resetting the CMOS.
Old 11th January, 2004, 03:13 PM

The setup in my first post still gave problems & BSD when playing games so I went back to basics.

1) Updated to latest BIOS

2) Uninstalled the Audigy and removed from mobo, placed back in PCI 6 and watched boot info which showed MM device on IRQ 5 and nothing else. This time the card did install but showed as sharing a IRQ 11 with the AGP slot, not acceptable and why not IRQ 5 as in the boot info ?

3) As there is no way of manually assigning an IRQ to any of the Interrupts I reserved IRQ 5 as a legacy device and re booted.

4) Boot info now shows MM device on IRQ 7 with nothing else sharing

Success !! windows now shows the Audigy on IRQ 7 by its self and everything appears to work.

I think the HPT issue in my first post is a red herring, I think its been an IRQ conflict all along.

The BIOS update did enable me to install the Audigy in PCI 6 which I could not do before.

Shame the BIOS does not allow manual allocation of IRQ to interrupts, might make fixing of IRQ problems less hit and miss.