AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 20th January, 2004, 02:11 AM

Where did all the KT600 boards go?!

I have been trying for weeks now to find a place in the US that sells an 8KRA2I, but everybody has told me they have been discontinued. I have been a loyal Epox user since my K6 system. But if I can't find an 8KRA2I, I'm switching all future systems I build to Asus.
Old 20th January, 2004, 02:49 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Why not just buy it from someone in the UK?
Rob
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2004, 02:53 AM
AOA Staff

Send a message via AIM to robbie Send a message via MSN to robbie Send a message via Yahoo to robbie Send a message via Skype™ to robbie

Or click on the thread at the bottom of the screen.
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Where did all the KT600 boards go?!-order-it.jpg  
Buy it, Sell it, or Trade it in the AoA classifieds!!
AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 20th January, 2004, 04:08 AM

$112 is just too steep, then to have to add international shipping. Plus I don't want the RAID version. Why has Epox told all the vendors in the US (that I've contacted) that the board has been discontinued? Just one or two months ago I could have bought one for $75 including shipping from several different companies. All the other motherboard manufacturers have their KT600 boards in excellent supply. Does anybody know what happened?
Old 20th January, 2004, 04:15 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

The KT600 boards that are still around have dropped in price tremendously... I just got one (different mfgr), and I still think it is a good chipset. However, the new KT880 (sp?) is out, and is Via's last socket A chipset. It sports dual DDR and a lot of new features... Essentially, it looks like the KT400a is aimed at the budget market, and the new 880 is the performance choice for via, leaving the KT600 without a market niche that mobo makers will accept. Honestly, I think it has too much to offer, and mobo makers don't want it to hurt the new chipset's sales.
Old 20th January, 2004, 04:21 AM

That means that they are not providing me (the consumer) with what I want. I don't want a dual channel setup, and at least it would have been smarter to wait until the KT880 boards hit the market before pulling all the KT600 boards from the shelf. Secondly, why continue the KT400a and drop the KT600? The ONLY difference I can find between the two is the 400fsb support. Can anybody verify this before I go order an Asus
Old 20th January, 2004, 05:20 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

KT600 mobos have the newer southbridge which supports SATA.

I agree about dual channel....

And with the the new generation of CPUs coming from AMD, I don't think it is a good idea to make a major investment in socket A, either by the consumer or by manufacturers. I only bought another socket A mobo, because I had 2 8k3a's die on me in the last week.
Old 20th January, 2004, 09:05 AM
EPoX Tech

KT880 isn't out yet, but does offer some very major improvements over KT600.

Through an Ultra V-Link to 8251 SB it is possible that it can use PCI-Express and all the other benefits of 8251.

Add to that a sophisticated and very compatible memory controller for Dual 64bit addressing with ECC support and a nice product is afoot.

VIA's mainstay in Socket A at present is KM400 and KT400a as they hit respective pricepoints that give defined market placement. KT600 whilst a wonderful chipset is in the same marketplace as NF2 solutions in terms of pricing etc however does not feature dual channel support - so VIA I don't think will be a highlight product again until KT880 boards tip up - likely to be middle of MArch when this happens based upon current timeframes.

Given that NForce 2 boards are seen to be premium products and VIA value products in this sector, it makes perfect sense that the VIA part be supporting 333FSB and NVidia 400FSB since there is only 1 400FSB retail part (XP3200+) and two OEM (XP3000+ and XP3200+) to utilise those platforms. Remember that overclockers whilst valued customers do not constitute the volume of customers that keep mainboard manufacturing companies viable; an argument about needing KT600's 400FSB to overclock a cheaper processor of 266FSB or 333FSB past 400FSB doesn't hold water when we have to think about these things as a business.

Hope that this may clear things up a little.
Old 20th January, 2004, 01:37 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sorry,
As ET says, the KT880 isn't out, yet.
I was just reading a "sneak peak" about a new mobo using the new chipset. I guess March sounds about right.
Old 8th February, 2004, 08:20 PM

I recently built a KT-600 chipset board and was impressed for the low price .
Most of the computers I build are replacing "old" 66M fsb units , surprising how old some of the rigs are . Most of the time , the only reason for replacement is coming across a needed program that will not run on their current machine . Many times they want to reuse their pc100 or some such memory in the new replacement computer , lol .
The average home user laggs behind in technology by years in many cases so buying an inexpensive board that can run sata , firewire and support a faster fsb & cpu in the future makes sense to many .

BTW ... here is a USA link to the Epox board you seek , as of this writing it is in stock and only $55 USD with free shipping .

Good Luck .

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...123-204&depa=0
Old 9th February, 2004, 11:29 PM

Thanks, I bought two of them literally within five minutes of them becoming available on NewEgg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCarr
I recently built a KT-600 chipset board and was impressed for the low price .
Most of the computers I build are replacing "old" 66M fsb units , surprising how old some of the rigs are . Most of the time , the only reason for replacement is coming across a needed program that will not run on their current machine . Many times they want to reuse their pc100 or some such memory in the new replacement computer , lol .
The average home user laggs behind in technology by years in many cases so buying an inexpensive board that can run sata , firewire and support a faster fsb & cpu in the future makes sense to many .

BTW ... here is a USA link to the Epox board you seek , as of this writing it is in stock and only $55 USD with free shipping .

Good Luck .

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...123-204&depa=0
Old 13th February, 2004, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
Through an Ultra V-Link to 8251 SB it is possible that it can use PCI-Express and all the other benefits of 8251....
Is this SB coming later to KT880?
In release note it says KT880 will use 8237 SB.
Asus FX5900 @ 560MHz/990MHz.