AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st January, 2004, 01:16 PM

8KTA+ won't boot, no beeps, nothing - PLEASE HELP!

I recently got a new PSU to replace what I thought was the problem in my old PC. It turned out that I needed a new Mobo too (to replace my ailing Asus A7V). So I got an Epox 8KTA or 8KTA+ (not sure which exactly). I swapped that into the system, and it worked fine first time. I left it on for about 15 hours, installed all my software, everything was fine.

I then left the PC off for about a week, and when I went to boot up, nothing happened. AFAIK, nothing has changed in the PC at all, and it's not been touched/moved. Since then, I've tried everything to find out the problem. All that happens when I pressing the power switch on the front is that the red power LED on the motherboard switches on. No action from the PSU, the CPU fan, the HDD, nothing. I've tried a minimal hardware setup - just the mobo, CPU, 1 memory stick, VGA card, and CPU+fan. Still nothing but the red power LED.
The red power LED doesn't switch off when I press the power switch again, but I'd expect that.

I've tried placing the motherboard on a sheet of paper, to check it's not shorting out against the case (someone else had the same symptoms as this, and that fixed it for them).

What on earth could the problem be? Does the red LED being on mean the PSU is fine, or just that it's providing some power, but not necessarily enough?
I don't have another CPU to test out with, but I will try an alternative PSU tonight (even though this one is brand new).

Please, if anyone has any suggestion, could you post here and let me know. I e-mailed Epox tech support buy they never replied, and I really need to get this computer up and running ASAP.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

Claude
Old 21st January, 2004, 02:37 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Fans typically run from the 12V line, so if you're not even seeing the fan in the PSU operating, it suggests that the 12V line isn't producing any power.

As you're going to try a new PSU, that should help to narrow down the exact problem, but does sound like the PSU.
Old 21st January, 2004, 05:11 PM

thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I'm going to try a new PSU, for the same reason you gave. It will be very strange if it's the PSU, as it's brand new.
Could it also be because the motherboard power connector is faulty?
No need to reply, I'll find out the answer by plugging in another PSU. If it starts up, then the old PSU is to blame.
If it still doesn't start up, then.....it could be the mobo's power connector, or something else still.

Cheers,
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Fans typically run from the 12V line, so if you're not even seeing the fan in the PSU operating, it suggests that the 12V line isn't producing any power.

As you're going to try a new PSU, that should help to narrow down the exact problem, but does sound like the PSU.
Old 21st January, 2004, 06:38 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Well, generally the fan in the PSU should rotate when the PSU is fully powered up, regardless of the state of the motherboard power connector!
Old 21st January, 2004, 07:01 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

8KTA+.
What is the CPU you are using? I'm just curious.