AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 29th January, 2004, 06:01 PM

Thanks, I'll probably give it a try if I feel adventurous. It doesn't make wonders though, as I see from the discussion.
Old 1st February, 2004, 07:05 AM

RE: 8KRA2+ HighPoint Single-Drive mode performance

...Yes, i have the same problem as Dethroner... And after 7 months uses of this mobo i'm not found a solution for this problem. I'm checked all bios'es and all have the same raid problem... I have a four optical storage drivers and three ATA HDD... And this is a really big problem for me (The Raid performace)... And Why The HPT Raid don't recognised optical drivers??? hmmm...

But I'm think a EPOX has really F^cks up this mobo and this is the reason why EPOX discontinued production and support of this mobo. And left users of this mobo (after 7-8 months of released 8kra2+)... Last bios is dated a 10/28/03 and this is a over three months with no new bios out. (for new mobo with a that serious problem it's a very long time delay for new bios...) What a surprise EPOX Tech... eechh...

...Finally i found solution for my problem. I'm Sell week ago this mobo on E-bay and i'm back to my OLD BEST ABIT!!! And i have no problem with support this 1,5 years mobo from ABIT... What can i say else?...

TO the new users: DO NOT BUY THIS MOBO IF YOU WANT FULLY USE RAID CONTROLLER!!!

Sayonara EPOX Tech, i'm never back to any Epox mobo... I'm very dissapointing...
Old 1st February, 2004, 07:50 AM

Yeah, this was my 1st Epox board since the kt133, I got it the same week it became availible in here AU (only 2 months ago) and already it's sale has been discontinued, and seemingly ignored for BIOS updates/fixes as well. I have to say this will be my last Epox board ever.
Old 1st February, 2004, 09:57 AM

As much as I love Epox (8Kra2+ is my third Epox board) I will seriously consider buying next board from Epox, just because they had not realy strong support side. BIOS updates and problems with them are very annoying.
Old 2nd February, 2004, 11:43 AM

I have checked the XPCacheFilter. It increased transfer between HighPoint drives to around 10 MB/s, but this is anyway less than 34 MB/s on VIA.

I have refornmatted and reinstalled Windows XP SP1 from scratch. The problem still remains, so it looks like hardware/BIOS problem. I have got 2 replies from HighPoint with requests for additional info, but still no reply from EPoX. Very disappointing experience.
Old 3rd February, 2004, 05:27 PM

I finally got replies from EPoX after e-mailing to all tech support addresses I could find.

Some replies just recommended to update to the latest BIOS which I already have or to the latest HighPoint drivers which I also have. They have also recommended to try VIA RAID Performance Patch, but I don't think it fixes the problem since it only increases burst rates.

There's definitely something wrong with EPoX tech support if they cannot just read a config info specified in a message.

They have confirmed that the 8KRA2+ is out of production. It will be replaced with KT880 mobos. Nevertheless, they have a new BIOS in progress for 8KRA2+ which should fix the RAID write speed.
Old 3rd February, 2004, 10:36 PM

VIA RAID Performance Patch

From the via web site

This patch can be used on all VIA chipsets, except chipsets with the VT8235 or VT8237 South Bridges

so be warned

I gave up on asus as they could not support their bioses I hope epox does not go the same way
Old 3rd February, 2004, 11:41 PM

Thumbs down

From Via' site on the Raid Patch:
This patch can be used on all VIA chipsets, except chipsets with the VT8235 or VT8237 South Bridges.

Maybe Epox should read Via's warnings more often. :P

*edit*whoops, beaten!
Old 4th February, 2004, 11:25 AM

This rings one more bell about quality of EPoX tech support. It was much better a year ago, their responces were quick and useful. I was happy when I replaced ASUS motherboard with my first EPoX. The things have gone wrong since then