AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 30th January, 2004, 05:24 PM

4SDA5+ not realy AGP 8x ?????

Hi,

I bought the 4SDA5+ about a year ago when I upgraded my PC. I chose this one because it had AGP 8x and I knew some time in the future I would upgrade my graphics card. That time has come and I bought a Sapphire 9800 pro 128. I have had nothing but trouble with it.

I found out it will only run stably when in AGP 4x mode. After much searching I have been told this is because the 4SDA5+ was released before the standards were finalised and ATI's won't run on them.

For the full story: http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33739174

Is this really the case?

If so I have really bought an AGP 4x under the name of a 8x. In other words I've been ripped off. I hope this is not the case.

Sorry to rant but I this has really annoyed me. No one likes to be conned.

Magpie.
Old 30th January, 2004, 11:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to SPQQKY Send a message via AIM to SPQQKY

You haven't been ripped off, minor changes may have been made prior to final release of 8x agp standards. But it is more well known that many of the 9700 and 9800 pros do not work happily in agp 8x, so if anyone "ripped you off", it was ATi and not EPoX. Also, if it works stable at 4x agp, why complain, you will see almost ZERO difference in performance.
BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer
ENERMAX EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI ATX12V 535W
3 x Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA150
160 Gig Seagate Barracuda
Asus Ageia PhysX graphics unit
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2004, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQQKY
You haven't been ripped off, minor changes may have been made prior to final release of 8x agp standards.
So it is true, I was sold a motherboard that did not meet the finalised AGP 8x standards. As this motherboard was sold as an AGP 8x this should have been clearly stated as I sure as hell wouldn't have bought it if I had known. The fact that this was not made clear means that the motherboard was miss-soled and I was indeed ripped off.

Gutted...

It only annoys me so much because the AGP 8x was the whole reason I chose this board. I will never buy EPoX again that’s for sure. I want to be able to rely on the product information being accurate and honest.

On a side note:

The level of difference seen is debatable but one thing for sure is I will never find out with this board as it's for intense and purposes only really a 4x. As for ATI cards running unstably in general at 8x I did a lot of looking to fix my own problems and I found this was fixed by disabling fastwrite and not by switching to 4x. Unless that is, you have a non compliant AGP 8x motherboard.

Ranting aside does anyone know of a workaround to this or am I just stuck with it?
Old 4th February, 2004, 01:54 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

You seem to have a disinclination of the ear.

The board is AGP 8X ready,Like it's EPoX's fault they change the standard AFTER the board was made?? a few minor changes don't change that much. If you had an Nvidia card you probably wouldn't be having this conversation. If any has wounded you it was ATI and your own lack of experience. These things are a daily occurrence in the computer world.

Hope you find that work around. In the mean time this isn't the place to slander EPoX. Please read our forum rules AND the ANNOUNCEMENT at the start of the EPoX topic before posting in the EPoX topic again. There are restriction upon posting in the EPoX topic that don't apply to Our other Topics.
Thank you.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2004, 10:38 AM

I assume you are referring to the line “General, non specific disparaging of EPoX and it's products is not permitted” in the above rules. I did read them and my compliant is far from non specific. It is in fact very specific.

However I do not wish to enter into a war of words with the people of this forum. There is a lot a good technical knowledge to be found here and I respect that. For this reason I shall tone down my language a tad.

It is true my experience in computer hardware was not great when I bought this board and could still easily be better now. I am a Software Engineer and not a technician.

I also concede that if I’d chosen Nvidia the chances are this problem would have never accrued.

This still doesn’t change the fact that the motherboard was released before the standards were finalised. This is a gamble as there was a chance that some things would be changed making the board not fully compliant. I have nothing against this practice, as this is a risk many would be willing to take to get the technology quicker. My complaint is I was never informed that I was taking this risk.

I point to the companies releasing Wi-Fi technology last year before the standards (European if I remember correctly) had been ratified. Many of these companies were offering an exchange if changes to the standards prevented the hardware from working properly. Acknowledging this risk was the proper thing to do and offering the exchange was an added bonus.

Buying before the standards are not complete is not a gamble I would take. I would have liked to have been given the choice to wait. This is my only complaint.

Magpie.
Old 4th February, 2004, 12:53 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie
This is a gamble as there was a chance that some things would be changed making the board not fully compliant. I have nothing against this practice, as this is a risk many would be willing to take to get the technology quicker. My complaint is I was never informed that I was taking this risk.
Unfortunately releasing products before standards are fully ratified (IE, they're based on the draft standard) is pretty common in the IT world. Doesn't matter if it's 802.11n, 802.11g, 56K MODEMs, DDR400, 10Gig Ethernet, or even AGP You should also remember that SiS manufactured the chipset to support the prespec AGP 8x, which isn't necessarily something that EPoX could influence.
Old 4th February, 2004, 01:25 PM

Thank you Aedan for your level headed reply. It seams I have learned this lesson the hard way.

Even though SiS did manufacture the chipset to the perspec AGP 8x, EPoX should have known this and put this in the boards specifications.

The end result is I will have to do more research into any new technology I buy, as the advertised specs may not be completely accurate. Really this sort of practice should not be allowed as in my eyes it is false advertising.

At least I know to be a lot more wary in the future. It just makes choosing new hardware that much more time consuming.

Thanks Again.

Magpie.
Old 4th February, 2004, 02:29 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I agree totally - unfortunately as the saying goes, caveat emptor. When being first to market can represent a large proportion of profit, companies are more than willing to take the risk.

Yeah, I can understand it's annoying. As people point out though, the performance difference between 4x and 8x is minimal, so in practice you haven't really lost anything much. Of course, it doesn't feel like that though.