AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th February, 2004, 02:29 PM

Variable speed fans and the 8KHA+

I have the Epox 8KHA+ with an Athlon XP 1700+ cpu.
I bought some ultra quiet case fans (which are variable speed and in fact, very low speed) from quietpc and when I connected them to the 3 pin fan headers on the motherboard, my PC would not boot. It checks the CPU and memory and thats it.

Is there something in the CMOS that I can alter to enable using these low speed/variable speed fans on the motherboard?

THanks in advance.

Ken
Old 4th February, 2004, 03:05 PM
EPoX Tech

We would recommend using an AMD approved cooling solution in order that sufficient RPM are registered for the mainboard to function. Given that this mainboard does not have over heat protection circuitry (introduced firstly on our KT333 boards on socket A) this is a safety measure that is included. This is tantamount given that the majority of system builds are required to have OHP in some way.
Old 4th February, 2004, 03:18 PM

Hmm....disappointed that using lower speed or variable speed fans isn't supported. I want my pc to be a lot quieter.....so am using more expensive slower bearing fans. Looks like I'll have to get an adapter and run them from a 4 pin power connecter!
Old 4th February, 2004, 03:23 PM
EPoX Tech

But if your fan fails there needs to be protection. Since this mainboard is very old (designed March 2001) it was designed way before Athlon XP came out and as such did not support on die thermal shut off.
Old 4th February, 2004, 03:36 PM

I can see your point. Fair enough. Maybe I need to get myself a newer motherboard and processor! Cheers for the help anyway. I appreciate it.
Old 4th February, 2004, 03:56 PM

I have the 8KHA+, Athlon XP 1500 (1.33GHz) and YS-Tech 1800 RPM fans for the case and heat sink. My PC is whisper quiet.

The motherboard monitor says they actually work at 2000 RPM, but regardless I have no problems. Don't even need messy thermal paste or pad - an 80mm low speed fan and Alu heat sink easily copes with this low end XP. I have disabled startup CPU fan detection/protection in the bios, but I'm sure I had it enabled and there were no problems. You could try and disable this bios option and see if your issues disappear. As long as you have software protection in widows, that CPU won't overheat without a fan for several minutes - ample time for a software monitor to shut-down/warn you.

If not try the YS-tech fans. Do a search, I think I've linked the sites in a past post. Similar to this one anyway: http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=600953

EDIT: Flippin heck they've gone up! I bought my fans for £3 each!
4x Front 2x Rear USB 2.0 Card
Deskstar 180GXP 120GB 8MB cache - SpinPoint SP0411N 40GB Low Profile
Optorite CDRW 52x32x52 - Pioneer DVD 115 16x
SkyHawk 400W PSU - 220W combined

Last edited by spirits247; 4th February, 2004 at 04:01 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2004, 03:59 PM

Can you tell me where in the bios I'd find the CPU Fan detection? I'm sure that I couldnt find it.....must be me.
Old 4th February, 2004, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyboy
Can you tell me where in the bios I'd find the CPU Fan detection? I'm sure that I couldnt find it.....must be me.
Yeah sure.

Bios Date: 6/12/2002

PC Health->No Fan Shutdown System enable/disable

If it's not there you'll have to update the bios.
4x Front 2x Rear USB 2.0 Card
Deskstar 180GXP 120GB 8MB cache - SpinPoint SP0411N 40GB Low Profile
Optorite CDRW 52x32x52 - Pioneer DVD 115 16x
SkyHawk 400W PSU - 220W combined
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th February, 2004, 04:18 PM

thanks for that mate! I think that I will need to update the bios....
Old 4th February, 2004, 06:25 PM

quick newbie question before I flash the bios...is there anyway of saving the old bios .bin file out before i flash it with the latest bios .bin file?