AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th January, 2002, 07:53 PM

8KHA+ very slow- something very wrong

My daughter was on the Net the other night and when I heard her finish I came in to use the computer and I see a black screen. I asked her what happened (she doesn't know).

I tried to reboot and it would get stuck loading Windows. I thought she may have picked up a virus so I ran Norton boot rescue and it didn't find anything. Used the boot disk and did scanreg /restore and it wouldn't work so I did scanreg /fix.

I finally got it to boot and I kept getting a "can not write to disc drive C, data may be corrupt, hit any key to continue" (or something like that).

I replaced the IDE cable, which didn't help. Then I replaced the hard drive with a new Maxtor 40GB- 7200RPM ATA100, reformatted it and reinstalled WindowsME on it, which took an unusually long amount of time, and I'm still having the same problems.

I using the drivers that came with the board:
VIA 4in1 4.33
WinME
11/2 bios (fail-safe or optimized defaults)I reflashed it just in case it got corrupt somehow.

At this point I only have Windows, AOL and a couple drivers loaded onto the hard drive and it takes forever to defrag just that.

At this point I'm getting write errors and the machine is extremely slow. I'm not sure what else to do. I don't overclock because I already have a 1.33 GHZ CPU and I can't see with my eyes any improvement from OC'ing but, instead, lose stability, which is what I like to see.

I have done all I know to do. Any suggestions?
This breaks my heart man--I really loved this board.
Old 13th January, 2002, 10:09 PM
EPoX Tech

I don't see this to be mainboard related I'm afraid. The reason therebeing that if there were any fault with the IDE controller - it simply wouldn't recognize the drive.
Old 14th January, 2002, 12:16 AM

Thanks for the response Epox Tech.

I was thinking the same thing so I decided to unplug and replug everything and put the hard drive on a line from the power supply by itself. I pulled the CPU to reseat it and found a little dust bunny behind it (can't figure how it got there or if it was the problem).

It seems as though it is working better now so I am going to reformat and reinstall OS.

Hopefully the problem is solved.

I'll keep you posted and appreciate your consideration. It's really nice to have you all to fall back on when something like this happens.
Old 14th January, 2002, 06:31 AM

While reinstalling WinME I got the blue screen (disc write error) twice and I remembered reading about the problems people were having with Enermax power supplies on this board. I felt fortunate that I hadn't had any problems as I'm using an Enermax 365P-VE.

I decided to swap the Enermax out with a Sparkle 250 Watt I had laying around and I'm not getting the disc write errors now (yet) but the system still seems a bit slower than it was.

Would the low 5V on the Enermax cause the type of probs I was having?

Also, I had tryed the bios from the Japan site and decided to go back to the 11/2 version just before I had this problem. Could a glitch in the flash have caused this type of problem?