AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 13th February, 2004, 06:01 AM

i've got an 8rda+ rev2.1 as well and whenever i set the vcore to above 1.85v it just won't boot

2x256mb hyperx pc3500 can't seem to get past 200fsb stably .... does boot into windows so far i've tested up to 225fsb but is unstable ..... is there a way to increase Vdimm beyond 2.9volts ?
Old 13th February, 2004, 09:33 PM

Well, I've got these pix sorted, They are good enough to be able to read the numbers off the top of the resistors as well, though you might need to download em and zoom in.

Pix of vreg:

vreg pic with flash

vreg Chip with flash 2

vreg Chip with no flash

Random other assorted pix I took of the case n stuff (Well its not every day I have a digital camera, what else do I do? ):

Case1, Case 2 , Case 3 , Case 4 , Case Top , Case Front , Toy car , Dragon on case , Inside Case , My room , Window Shot of my case , Window in the dark .
Old 13th February, 2004, 10:31 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Unfortunately, your RAM sink is obscuring the chip orientation marking, so I'm not 100% certain which end of the chip is pin 1. I'm guessing from what I can see of the circuit layout that pin 1 is at the top right corner of the chip. That being the case, my previous recommendation stands. Solder a 33K resistor across R1332 (or between pins 15 and 16), and that should increase your current limit by about 10%. As a quick and dirty test to see if you are on the right track, you can simply short pins 15 and 16 together, which will effectively bypass the current limit altogether. Note that you should not run with the pins shorted as a permanent setting; this is only to let you see if the current limit is hurting you or not.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 14th February, 2004, 12:17 AM

Your right, the orientation is that pin 1 is top right. I'll try shorting the pins temporarily for one or two boots, and see what happens when I set the voltage above 1.85v, do you need to lift the pins, then short them, or would just shorting them do?
Old 14th February, 2004, 12:30 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

No, it is not necessary to lift the pins. Simply short them together.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th February, 2004, 01:03 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Uh. MIP? You still out there?

Geez, I hope he didn't toast his board because of taking my advice.....
Old 16th February, 2004, 03:03 AM

Hey MIP, does the mod worked or not ???
I have the same board version, and I want to test this also, but just say something
Old 16th February, 2004, 03:30 PM

No, sorry to cause a panic, I have a big uni deadline this week, so i'm just doing alot work on my 'multimedia technology for e-commerce support' paper.

Thats why I'm not risking the mobo this week, but I will give this a go, n post back when I do.
Old 18th February, 2004, 03:41 AM

Right, I randomly decided, tonight I'd take the leap of faith, and see wot putting a peice of copper wiring across those two pins would do.

Well, on the plus side, my machine booted, and didn't burst into a ball of flames. On the downside, even with the clock speed fairly low, it was the exact same story. As soon as you set above 1.85v, no post.

Thankyou for trying with your idea's though, I appreciate it. Unless there's anything else you can think of, then I spose I'm stuck at this voltage.

Oh well, my PC's allready making my room increadibly warm, don't really wanna live in a sauna.

I might turn my attention to my 9800 AIW pro (originally SE), for a bit of voltmodding if there are no more idea's.
Old 18th February, 2004, 04:30 AM

So, what is the method of bypassing the overcurrent protection on v2.1 boards??

Is it putting a 33K Ohm resistor between pins 15 and 16, without any other mods/cuts/removals, etc.?

XP 2500 BARTON@2419 (11X219.92): Watercooled: Whitewater, Eheim 1250, heatercore, Comair-Rotron 172mm; 7-Volt modded, Epox 8RDA+, 512 MB PC3700 Corsair, 80 GB WD 8MB Special Edition, 46 GB IBM, Supermicro 760A case, 400W Sparkle, 3 Sanyo-Denki 92mm intake, ATi 9600XT @ 600/712, DSI V/F/M, 16X/10X/40X Lite-On CDRW, 52X LIte-On CDROM CPU: 36C Max 32C Idle, MB: 26C, PS 28C
WinXP Professional SP1
Old 18th February, 2004, 05:42 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

MIP - Sorry it didn't help. It very well may be that the inductors are a little too small to be able to carry any more load. Without a 'scope and a board to look at, I'm not sure there is much more I can suggest (and if my suspicion is right, there isn't).

dabhpr - Simply shorting pins 15 and 16 together should bypass the current limit altogether. Putting in the 33k resistor should shift the current limit upward about 10%.
Old 18th February, 2004, 05:43 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

MIP - BTW, does this board have a 12V feed for the regulator, and are you using it?
Old 18th February, 2004, 10:26 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIP
Thankyou for trying with your idea's though, I appreciate it. Unless there's anything else you can think of, then I spose I'm stuck at this voltage.
That's only one of the two overcurrent protection mechanisms on the regulator. There's also a transient limiter - but I don't know if the three pins for this are connected to anything yet, as I haven't looked at the pics.
Old 18th February, 2004, 04:18 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

The three sense pins are hooked up to 27k resistors. Don't know about the value of the caps. In any case, I am loathe to mess with the sense resistors. If I understand the operation of this circuit correctly, the caps should have the same reactance as the inductors, so that the sense resistors form a simple voltage dividor with the impedance of the inductors. That being the case, messing with the sense resistors distorts the waveform and could have unintended consequences. For one thing, switching regulators almost always use the current ramp on the inductor to determine when to shut off the outputs. While I wasn't too concerned about messing with the ILim input, messing with the current sense input could VERY easilly kill the mobo, and I don't have enough information to feel comfortable with messing any further.
Old 18th February, 2004, 05:35 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Gizmo - an alternative might be to adjust the CSREF reference voltage, rather than trying to adjust the current sense resistors themselves. I don't know the circuitry around the regulator, so I couldn't predict how the regulator would respond.
Old 18th February, 2004, 06:08 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Right. But the value of resistance chosen for the CSREF input is a function of the impedance of the CSX inputs. The idea being that you want to balance the input impedance across the two inputs to each of the op amps so that you don't develop an offset voltage which varies with load.

If it were my board and I were able to put my 'scope on it and play with it, the CSREF is exactly where I'd go. But I don't have a good enough feel for how this circuit works to be willing to suggest to someone else how to do this.

The internal op amps are programmed for a gain of 4, which means that very minor offset voltages on the two inputs could result in rather larger changes in the peak current.

Hmmm.............now that I'm thinking more about this, the problem here might actually be that they are already developing a slight offset voltage. The three CSX inputs are biased with 27K resistors. This means that there should be a 9K resistor on CSREF. The fact that it is 8K means that CSREF is actually going to end up too low, I think. Would be interesting to see what adding a 1K resistor in series with the 8K that is already there would do.

MIP, it's your call man. I'm not comfortable enough to suggest you do this, because if I'm wrong, you'll either fry your board or not be able to boot until you take the resistor back out of the circuit. <I> wouldn't do this without an oscilloscope, and then I'd use a pot (variable resistor) to tweak the circuit a little bit at a time and watch the results.
Old 18th February, 2004, 07:17 PM

I think I'm getting in way over my head really. I only take the risks with my hardware because I've made an effort to make sure everythings well cooled, and I do some relativly simple hardware mods, without a proper understanding of what I'm doing.

Given how simple removing the limit is on a rev 1.x board, I was just hoping for somthing just as simple, just wasn't to be.

Oh and about the 12v feed, do you mean the four pin connector from the atx psu? There's no where to connect that, just the main atx connector.
Old 18th February, 2004, 09:40 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well, hmmm...........

If someone out there has one of these rev 2.x boards that they are willing to let me play with, or are willing to part with for a little bit of cash, I'd be willing to put it in my rig here and see if I could figure out how to increase the current limit without causing the thing to explode, and then post the results back here. Obviously I don't want to spend too much money aquiring the board, since it probably wouldn't be all that useful to me, but if I could get one for $30-$40 (used).....if you have something, either PM me or ICQ me.

Edit: Changed 'rev 1.x' to 'rev 2.x'

Last edited by Gizmo; 19th February, 2004 at 03:51 AM.
Old 22nd February, 2004, 03:21 AM

Well, I'm going around the problem now. I've sold my 2500+ barton for £50, and am getting:

http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalo...roducts_id=392

http://www.warp2search.net/modules.p...43&22101&81717

If I can't get more voltage, get a cpu that doesn't want so much.

Fingers crossed, 2.7ghz, here I come...