AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 14th February, 2004, 09:30 PM

Epox 8kta3+ Athlon XP Cpu's

Hello, i really wanna know if there's any way i can run an Athlon XP 1.8+ 2.0+ or more in this motherboard, last bios i flashed says it supports XP/MP.
As far as i know the model Epox 8kta3+PRO, can run them, this both mobos have same specs, same chipset and all.

Im sure that no one tried, but what happens if i flash my 8kta3+ with 8kta3+PRO bios? since they are all same.

Well i hope someone here can tell me the Epox 8kta3+ tweaks for running athlons XP.

Thanks a lot, TribalCult.
Old 16th February, 2004, 03:42 AM

I had an 8KTA3L+ (Very similar) running an Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8Ghz) without a problem. I did have the latest BIOS installed. CPU was properly recognized. I also ran a 1700+ and a 1.2Ghz Duron (at 133*9) all without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalCult
Hello, i really wanna know if there's any way i can run an Athlon XP 1.8+ 2.0+ or more in this motherboard, last bios i flashed says it supports XP/MP.
As far as i know the model Epox 8kta3+PRO, can run them, this both mobos have same specs, same chipset and all.

Im sure that no one tried, but what happens if i flash my 8kta3+ with 8kta3+PRO bios? since they are all same.

Well i hope someone here can tell me the Epox 8kta3+ tweaks for running athlons XP.

Thanks a lot, TribalCult.
Old 16th February, 2004, 12:44 PM

Yep - I also have the 8kta3pro MB with the same BIOS (April 03 I think ?).

Proc is 1800+, running at 2200 Mhz or so - only a couple of Multipliers will work - using x17 at 133 Mhz at the moment (works out at really 2261 Mhz), I thnk only x9 will work as well.

Temp is ok at 42 degC, and has been constantly on since November 03.
Old 16th February, 2004, 02:54 PM
EPoX Tech

EP-8KTA3+ can run .....

Athlon Thunderbird upto 1.4Ghz and
Duron Morgan or Spitfire upto 1.3GHz
Old 17th February, 2004, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
EP-8KTA3+ can run .....

Athlon Thunderbird upto 1.4Ghz and
Duron Morgan or Spitfire upto 1.3GHz

I take it that the "pro" version is the difference then ? As the + only relates to RAID ?

I also remember asking the forum a while back about the discrepancies between older and newer versions of the CPU Suport PDF, but never got a reply - basically the older pdf said that XP2000 were suportable, whereas the newer pdf says not.

Anyway, I took the plunge and it all works fine. (don't take my word though )
Old 17th February, 2004, 06:25 PM

Yes, but (s)he's EPOX tech support and that is the offical answer.

You can run them,
I have an 8KTA3+ and you can run the original AthlonXP 1800+ with absolutely no problems.
Make sure you but a 'Palomino' cored version (the original) as I cannot say if the T-bred cores will work.

e.g. One of these
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=29003
Of course they are not in stock so you may have to hunt around or buy secondhand

The "pro" version is actually slightly different.

Last edited by FluffyChicken; 17th February, 2004 at 10:46 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 17th February, 2004, 06:31 PM
EPoX Tech

8KTA3/+ supports upto Athlon 1400
8KTA3/+Pro supports upto XP2200 Palamino / T/Bred

There may be a few Palamino supporting 8KTA3/+ (about 1,000 in existence in the open channel), but these are the exception not the rule so the rule of thumb is that they are for Athlon 1400 maximum. The marking of these supporting boards is the same as the others in terms of revision, but their northbridge attenuation in terms of capacitance and resitstance is different due to an ECN carried out in production for a reason.

Asking the question with hope one million times, or saying "maybe" with a hint of hope won't unfortunatley change the characteristics of this old fella.
Old 17th February, 2004, 10:43 PM

Well if that is true then I have been very very lucky with the Palomino CPU's I have used on the 8KTA3+. I have tried quite a few over time and all have worked no problems. I also believe all the other people I have talked to (and chatted to on the web) that have tried this have had no problem.

EDIT: sorry wrong end of stick about CPU's. you mean boards /EDIT

I do understand that EPoX has to say what you say as the chipset does not officialy support it. (and there is no reason it should have to). But I have heard of no-one having any problems runing them on this board.
a lot of motherboards with the KT133a chipset can run them.
I have one of the older revision boards 8kta3+ and it ran it perfectly even overclocked.

Last edited by FluffyChicken; 17th February, 2004 at 10:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th February, 2004, 08:45 AM
EPoX Tech

It's not about the chipset - that supports the processor no matter what - the problem is the board.

How many times do I have to state this and have it repeatedly laboured ?

Please drop this and hold with the information that I'm giving which is FACT, not hypothesis.