AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 22nd February, 2004, 12:57 PM

Updating onboard Highpoint 372 raid controller bios

I have Epox 8K5A2+ motherboard and want to update Highpoint 372 raid controller bios to latest version. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Many thanks
Old 22nd February, 2004, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJL
I have Epox 8K5A2+ motherboard and want to update Highpoint 372 raid controller bios to latest version. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Many thanks
I have not tried this - I personally do not think I would unless I had a replacement BIOS chip on hand. Try it at your own risk as this is info for people who know what they are doing.

See:

http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/how%2...20a%20bios.htm

And from:

http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=8&fcid=17

"Important note: upgrading your motherboard's BIOS to a newer version that contains a different version of the Highpoint BIOS may cause corruption of the data on your RAID array. It is therefore strongly recommended that you back up all RAID data before updating your BIOS. Note that this RAID corruption can occur when both upgrading and downgrading the Highpoint BIOS version"

"How do I update my motherboard's Highpoint BIOS?
The end user is not expected to flash this BIOS separately. The Highpoint HPT370 BIOS is embedded into the motherboard BIOS and hence updating the motherboard BIOS will update the Highpoint BIOS. You will occasionally need to use the latest beta BIOS version to get the latest Highpoint BIOS - check the documentation with each BIOS file.

Occasionally, however, motherboard BIOS releases lag behind Highpoint's releases and you may then wish to embed the Highpoint BIOS within the motherboard's BIOS yourself. Using a tool developed by AWARD called cbrom (see downloads page) it is possible to embed the latest Highpoint BIOS into the ABIT BIOS releases. I recommend you don't try this unless you have a BIOS Savior with which to rescue your machine! The steps are actually quite simple:

Copy the desired Highpoint bios into a directory
Copy the motherboard's BIOS into the same directory
Boot into a clean DOS environment
Use CBRom207 as follows:
CBROM207 MOBOBIOS.BIN /PCI HIGHPOINTBIOS.BIN
where MOBOBIOS.BIN is the name of the file of the motherboard BIOS, and HIGHPOINTBIOS.BIN the name for Highpoint's BIOS.

Note that the downloads page normally contains a BIOS release containing the latest motherboard and Highpoint releases already made for you, and so you should never need to do this."

Last edited by flylow; 22nd February, 2004 at 03:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd February, 2004, 03:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Veky Send a message via AIM to Veky Send a message via MSN to Veky Send a message via Yahoo to Veky

I've done the same with SiI SATA RAID BIOS and it does work, if you follow the procedures properly.

You don't have it be in pure DOS environment, command prompt in WinXP will do.
PNY GeForce 6800GT
Seagate 250GB SATA
Tagan 430W PSU
Windows XP SP2
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 22nd February, 2004, 03:55 PM

EpoX use CBROM for the EPA logo changing program if i remeber correctly (MagicScreen)

But the lastest BIOS is dated 2003/09/16 for your board so I'd assume it has v2.345 all updates after that are not needed unless you maybe happen to run DOS6.22

Just flash to the latest motherboard BIOS.
Old 22nd February, 2004, 09:24 PM

I just checked and it's CBROM32 and works simialr to CBROM.

You should use that as that's what EPOX supply, look for the MagicScreen program it came with your board (on the CD or maybe on the website)

Interesting little program, seem the as unreleased BIOS for the 8KRA2+ isn't using the latest bios for either the HPT372 controller OR the VIA SATA RAID integrated controller. Mind it's a flakey bios as it crashes when you go into Temp display.... but hey that be why it's not released. (hint to anyone reading this, make it detect the mobile Athlons...)
Old 23rd February, 2004, 11:57 AM

Thanks guys it worked

Thanks guys, it worked. The method posted by flylow http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/how%...%20a%20bios.htm worked. Now I have Highpoint 372 bios 2.351. Briefly here is what I did, just in case anyone else wanna try:

Downloaded the latest bios from Highpoint. Dowloaded latest mothereboard bios from epox. Then modified epox bios to include latest highpoint bios using Cbrom. Install the matching highpoint driver and without restarting, flashed the motherboard bios (which now include latest highpoint bios) using Winflash. Restart and voila! Now I have the latest bios for my onboard raid card.
Old 23rd February, 2004, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJL
Thanks guys, it worked. The method posted by flylow http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/how%...%20a%20bios.htm worked. Now I have Highpoint 372 bios 2.351. Briefly here is what I did, just in case anyone else wanna try:

Downloaded the latest bios from Highpoint. Dowloaded latest mothereboard bios from epox. Then modified epox bios to include latest highpoint bios using Cbrom. Install the matching highpoint driver and without restarting, flashed the motherboard bios (which now include latest highpoint bios) using Winflash. Restart and voila! Now I have the latest bios for my onboard raid card.
Glad that the info from http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/how%2...20a%20bios.htm worked for you.

daMANiack used CBROM and took the Highpoint BIOS that EPoX added to the 8/19 BIOS for me and added it to the 02/09 4PCA3+ BIOS. See: 4PCA3+ BIOs dated 02/09
I then tried it myself and it worked fine too. I was wondering if the latest BIOS from Highpont's website would work in the same manner or if it was modified by EPoX so I did a Google search and found http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=8&fcid=17 Since I had the Highpoint BIOS that EPoX sent me I did not try the one from Highpoint's website.

Now we know it can be done and do not have to wait for EPoX to update it. I get a slight boot speed improvement with the latest Highpoint BIOS on my system but corsairmicro said he did not experience any improvement.

IMO, I still think it is wise to have a spare BIOS chip on hand before flashing to a untested modded BIOS. Be sure to use the Driver version that matches your BIOS version. RAID corruption can occur when both upgrading and downgrading the Highpoint BIOS version.

Last edited by flylow; 23rd February, 2004 at 03:10 PM.
Old 23rd February, 2004, 08:17 PM

@ CoolJL

Would you mind to send me that BIOS? Many thank in advance.

Max

----------------------------------
Epox 8K5A2+
XP1800 T-Bred B @2324 MHz (166*14) 1.7Volt, watercooled
2x 256MB DDR-RAM Samsung cl2.5 333MHz @ cl2
1x IBM 60GB 120 GXP @ VIA aircooled
2x IBM 60GB 180 GXP @ HPT aircooled RAID 0
GF FX5900XT VTD128, 128MB, VIVO, watercooled
DVD 16x LG
Burner 32x LG @40x
----------------------------------