AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 15th January, 2002, 08:46 AM

1/5 PCI divider for 8kha+ , confirm ?!

Hi, this question is definately very important for all the Athlon XP users out there. SO, I desperately need expert like e.g. Mushkin Rules or Epox Tech to answer, PLEASE

Like you see in my signatures, Duron user..... to be changed soon as I just got my XP1500+ this morning . I am not intending to unlock the L1 bridges as it is hard to find the necessary the materials required for the operation in my country. I am targeting my O/C at 10x160 or 10x166...

SO, is the 1/5 PCI divider is there for 8kha+ ???

MR has mentioned it in one of his post on asusboard.com forum. But just allow me to ask again.....

IF YES, what is the impact on the harddrive, will it spoil faster than normal system??

IF NO, why my Duron got no problem working at 170fsb and I can connect to internet thru PCI modem ?

Thanks in advance.
Temp - idle 42'C , load 48'C
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2002, 10:23 AM

No 1/5 divider does not exist..

Its supported by the clock generator, but not by the KT266A chipset..

Its good quality components that allow for high fsb, together with i feel sound motherboard manufacturing thats giving it the flexibility to run much higher than 133fsb.
Old 15th January, 2002, 12:55 PM
Systems Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Superman

There have been numerous discussions about dividers in the past. I recommend you do a search for those rather than make us say the same things again

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 15th January, 2002, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman53142
There have been numerous discussions about dividers in the past. I recommend you do a search for those rather than make us say the same things again
Might be best to make a sticky or announcement to the fact that there is no official 1/5 divisor, so people will quit asking this question. It's been touched on WAY too many times before.
Old 15th January, 2002, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

Might be best to make a sticky or announcement to the fact that there is no official 1/5 divisor, so people will quit asking this question. It's been touched on WAY too many times before.
Good idea..

Maybee somebody could put all the relavent info in one post to be made into a sticky.

Whenever I recomend that people look here for info on the devider I allways tell them not to start a new thread but to search for info instead.

As for the hard drive, I think experementation is the key. Make use of norton ghost before you run high FSBs and if you do corrupt your drive then you will be safe.
My 75xgp was fine at 175fsb if thats any use.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 15th January, 2002, 10:03 PM
Brad

lets make a sticky saying noone at epox will admit to it, as they want to sell kt333 boards, and noone would buy them if the kt266a is the exact same thing.

of course we do know that it does exist, read the clock gen pdf.
Old 15th January, 2002, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
lets make a sticky saying noone at epox will admit to it, as they want to sell kt333 boards, and noone would buy them if the kt266a is the exact same thing.

I think it would be best to have Epox Tech make the official statement, and cite public documents from Epox on that, and just leave that as the official word, regardless of what is found out unofficially.

If Epox says it's so, and it pertains to Epox board, then it's so. End of discussion.
Old 15th January, 2002, 11:27 PM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y
If Epox says it's so, and it pertains to Epox board, then it's so. End of discussion.
Agreed.

"You have to go outside the sequence of engines, into the world of men, to find the real originator of the rocket. Is it not equally reasonable to look outside nature for the real Originator of the natural order?
-C.S. Lewis

Director of JavaScript section of the Allied Sites Support Team, web designer and programmer for DaOCPlace, and co-web designer and programmer for AOA Files

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 18th January, 2002, 06:50 PM

Hey "Brad"

Think about what your saying. Why would any company not tell you about the 1/5 divider to sell more boards later. I Don't think so. If Epox had it, then they would be shouting their own trumpet as loud as possible , as they would by far have the biggest selling board by miles right now!

Why wait when a new board comes out & every other company has the same board. (No extra money there)

It dosen't add up with what you keep saying over & over.

No company hides something that would make them so much more money right now, if anything they hype it by themselves.
The only reason if it did exist & they didn't tell you would because they could be breaking some agreement. Then you would never really know anyway.

Couldn't you just test this yourself.
Get one of those thermoresister thingys to measure temp & put it on the AGP graphics chip. Right were you think it switches to 1/5 divider the temp should be cooler.
eg. lets say 160MHz runs at 1/4 & 161MHz runs at 1/5. Then I think in theory at 161MHz the AGP graphics chip should be a touch cooler as it's not pushed as hard.
Don't know if this would work but hey when ever I raise my bus speed my AGP card seems to get hotter.

Last edited by rocky500; 18th January, 2002 at 07:22 PM.
Old 19th January, 2002, 12:56 AM

Ok, so if no 1/5 divider...

Quote:
Shortly after the KR7-RAID hit the market, EPoX started to leak out a beta BIOS, which is the one that we used for our roundup. The BIOS is not officially under the EPoX web page but you can easily find it floating on the Internet.

The BIOS, with release date 11/30/2001, provides the ability for you to practically push the FSB of the board to over 200MHz, which has been confirmed by a lot of sources. This is made possible by two very important features by EPoX, the 1/5 and 1/6 PCI bus divider and also the 100/133 memory bus divider. With these two settings, you can be running your FSB at 200MHz while maintaining the memory and PCI buses at 150MHz and 33MHz respectively. The memory could be compensated by the new PC2400 or PC2700 parts, and the PCI bus is still within spec.
Of course from www.anandtech.com

His remarks should add gasoline to the fire...
Old 19th January, 2002, 02:22 AM

I cant see why this discution wasnt ended a long time aggo

If you read the data on the clock generator you can see that its capable of using the 1/5 devider.

Add this to the hundreds of users acheiving very high FSBs and you have the answer.

Epox tech cannot say "the 8KHA+ has a 1/5 devider" but through his posts he has given us all the evidence you need.

This is not some great conspiracy from epox, on the contrary he has been very helpfull.

If your board can happily run 166fsb+ then who cares exactly how it does it.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 19th January, 2002, 05:06 AM

Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If your board can happily run 166fsb+ then who cares exactly how it does it."

I think people just want to know for sure that they won't have to replace their new Geforce3, Hard drives etc in 3 months time because they overstressed them.

There has been no definate answer here & people who haven't followed this discussion closely won't know what was "in between the lines".

Last edited by rocky500; 19th January, 2002 at 11:36 AM.
Old 19th January, 2002, 10:08 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

Your tone is repetitive and becoming mildly insolent. Please refrain from making such posts, as it seems no one enjoys reading them and no-one gains anything from them, particularly when your record has been played so frequently on so many occasions - it becomes boring.
Old 19th January, 2002, 05:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
Originally posted by rocky500
Quote:
"If your board can happily run 166fsb+ then who cares exactly how it does it."

I think people just want to know for sure that they won't have to replace their new Geforce3, Hard drives etc in 3 months time because they overstressed them.

There has been no definate answer here & people who haven't followed this discussion closely won't know what was "in between the lines".
Clock frequency doesn't kill parts, extreme temperatures and excessive voltages do. The worst that could result from high bus speeds is that you will expirience some data integrity issues, this is easily rectified with Norton Ghost which EPoX has so graciously included on the drivers disk . . . .

I am growing tired of these non-productive and unneccessary disscussion about PCI dividers . . . . The 8KHA+ is the ultimate performance board on the market, it has amazing FSB overclocking potential and memory bandwidth galore, that is all that matters . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 19th January, 2002, 05:12 PM

I always thought it was possible to damage Hardware by extreme overclocking of the bus. My thinking was parts get hotter & are stressed more.

Thanks for the info, now nothing is holding me back!
Time to up that bus of mine.

Also must agree with you - The Epox 8kha+ is one hell of a good motherboard.
Old 19th January, 2002, 06:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Quote:
I always thought it was possible to damage Hardware by extreme overclocking of the bus. My thinking was parts get hotter & are stressed more.
As clock speed is increased the current(amperage) the component draws increases. This increase in current increases the thermal output(watts) of the component, which would make the component run hotter. But it is the heat the can potentially damage the component, not the clock speed, not the increased current*. This is one of the reasons why we as overclockers utilize extra cooling. The other reason for extra cooling being that low temperatures decrease the "ON" impedance (resistance) of a CMOS transistor, which in turn allows the next transistor down the line to charge and switch "ON" faster.

* I kind of lied, an extreme increase in current could short out the PCB traces that provide power to the component, but a very large increase in current would be necessary for such an event to occur.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Old 20th January, 2002, 09:30 AM

This post is not aimed at you dimmreaper.
Everyone seems to forget that they once knew nothing of extreme overclocking & they had to know alot to get good results.

Now companys like Epox are making it so much easier for the average "Joe" to buy a performance board like the 8kha+, load it up with good ram/Parts & get great value for money results.

There is going to be alot of "newbies" posting, what might seem like "stupid" posts to some of you seasoned users.
This is what makes forums excellent that a new Person with not much knowledge can mabey get more performance/value for his purchase.
If some of you get a little anoyed mabey you should startup more advanced sections in the forums that might keep alot of these "silly" posts out of there.
What gets me a bit mad is when I see "Seasoned" Overclockers just absolutely put down alot of newbies who just got a great amazing board & want a little help. I see this alot at the AMD forums. The so called "seasoned" users must spend a bit of time writing long nasty replies to people who post things like "I can't get 200MHz from my board"
People have to start somewhere and it's nice for them to go to forums for help & understanding as most mb companys can't afford to offer this sort of help.

Alot of "Seasoned" users know which sites to checkout, what reviews to read, what info is applicable & seem to loose the fact that new guys starting in computers don't really know where to start so you get those so called "stupid" posts over & over.

I should have posted this in the amdmb.com forum, buy hey I've already typed it so here it is.
Old 21st January, 2002, 05:09 AM

If my posting has annoyed any of the "seasoned " overclokcers here, I am sorry.

To as whether the PCI 1/5 exist, is very important because I would like to OC and yet surf net, that's simple. Just read Anandtech.com on the KT266a Mobo roundup, it also mentioned this topic.

AND, more importantly, many people had already claimed that they lost entire data in the HDD at this high FSB. That is also why I very much wanted to know the effect of high FSB o/clocking.

BTW, I could achieve 10x166 for my XP1500+, but not stable. Could be by PSU..

Last, but not least, I knew this is a very good board. Highly overclockable........
Temp - idle 42'C , load 48'C
Old 21st January, 2002, 05:13 AM
Systems Administrator

Quote:
This post is not aimed at you dimmreaper.
Everyone seems to forget that they once knew nothing of extreme overclocking & they had to know alot to get good results.

Now companys like Epox are making it so much easier for the average "Joe" to buy a performance board like the 8kha+, load it up with good ram/Parts & get great value for money results.

There is going to be alot of "newbies" posting, what might seem like "stupid" posts to some of you seasoned users.
This is what makes forums excellent that a new Person with not much knowledge can mabey get more performance/value for his purchase.
If some of you get a little anoyed mabey you should startup more advanced sections in the forums that might keep alot of these "silly" posts out of there.
What gets me a bit mad is when I see "Seasoned" Overclockers just absolutely put down alot of newbies who just got a great amazing board & want a little help. I see this alot at the AMD forums. The so called "seasoned" users must spend a bit of time writing long nasty replies to people who post things like "I can't get 200MHz from my board"
People have to start somewhere and it's nice for them to go to forums for help & understanding as most mb companys can't afford to offer this sort of help.

Alot of "Seasoned" users know which sites to checkout, what reviews to read, what info is applicable & seem to loose the fact that new guys starting in computers don't really know where to start so you get those so called "stupid" posts over & over.

I should have posted this in the amdmb.com forum, buy hey I've already typed it so here it is.
AMEN to that!

-C.S. Lewis

<>< I Believe-Do You?
Old 21st January, 2002, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Amdxp
If my posting has annoyed any of the "seasoned " overclokcers here, I am sorry.

To as whether the PCI 1/5 exist, is very important because I would like to OC and yet surf net, that's simple. Just read Anandtech.com on the KT266a Mobo roundup, it also mentioned this topic.

AND, more importantly, many people had already claimed that they lost entire data in the HDD at this high FSB. That is also why I very much wanted to know the effect of high FSB o/clocking.

BTW, I could achieve 10x166 for my XP1500+, but not stable. Could be by PSU..

Last, but not least, I knew this is a very good board. Highly overclockable........
That article completley contradicts itself.

"The BIOS, with release date 11/30/2001, provides the ability for you to practically push the FSB of the board to over 200MHz, which has been confirmed by a lot of sources. This is made possible by two very important features by EPoX, the 1/5 and 1/6 PCI bus divider and also the 100/133 memory bus divider. With these two settings, you can be running your FSB at 200MHz while maintaining the memory and PCI buses at 150MHz and 33MHz respectively. The memory could be compensated by the new PC2400 or PC2700 parts, and the PCI bus is still within spec."

"During our overclocking test we actually corrupted one of our Western Digital hard drive at around 190MHz, resulting in a loss of all the data on the hard drive. This could be disastrous if you contain valuable information on your hard drive. Therefore, make sure you perform overclocking with caution at all times."

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1578&p=10

Must of been a crappy drive to become a total loss at 38mhz or there is no 1/5 divider.