AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 4th March, 2004, 01:29 PM
Benchmarker

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisbard

Question 215 FSB but no gaming

Hello folks,

I have managed to push the fsb on my 8 RDA+ to 215. I have the latest bios, no vdd mod. and no increase in voltages. The thing is; the usual stuff in xp is working but when I go gaming some textures are missing, I got black spots instead of walls ..... What is the next step in solving the prob?

My system;

XP 2500 Barton
2*256 DDR 400 PQI (not expensive)
GF 4Ti 4200 4x AGP 128mb inside now / GF FX 5600 256 MB 8xAGP (don't buy this!)
good PSU
Raid 2*80 Seagate strip 0

Thank's

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 4th March, 2004, 01:38 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Sorry to sound like a wiseass, but try dropping the FSB. Sounds like you are pushing the memory or northbridge a bit too far.
Old 4th March, 2004, 06:45 PM
EPoX Tech

I have to get in here - is the memory bus set for aggressive ? This sometimes helps at high FSB.

I just set up a new EP-8RDA3+ and only got my stability at 233FSB when set for Aggressive bus rather than Optimal (this is the new design with Slim-phase PWM on 2 phase power with super cool MOSFET's).

I used....

EPoX 8RDA3+ rev 3.1 (the model we just can't get enough of in the UK)
2 x Samsung TCCC 256MB DDR400
1 x EPoX GeForce FX5500
1 x Enhance 300W BA1125 PSU with shortened ATX and aux. lead (makes a big difference in O/C but takes some doing)
1 x Maxtor SATA drive Plus 9 80GB spec

Memory just set as Turbo at this bus.

CPU - Thorton 2200+ unlocked to Barton at 1.65v, Cooljag CJC103C HSF, memory at 2.90v, VDD @ 1.8v, AGP @ 1.7v (this helps)

Super PI time of 39secs

This is my first experience of the EP-8RDA3+ revision 3.1 with new slim-phase technology for PWM - it has to be said - the MOSFET's are cold to the touch under-load - this really is an amazing way of doing an advanced VReg.
Attached Thumbnails
215 FSB but no gaming-attempt3.gif  
Old 5th March, 2004, 01:12 PM
Benchmarker

Talking

As I recall the memory bus is set optimal, I can hardly wait to go home and give it a try. I will also adjust the voltages.

"(this is the new design with Slim-phase PWM on 2 phase power with super cool MOSFET's)." said E.T.

E.T. would you mind explaining for those with less knowledge? Please!

I may buy this 8RDA 3+ in case the price for AMD64 isn't droping.

Chris
I've heard that linux community came up with better implemented security in it's latest Linux Mint Gold version, it's actually preventing the user to log in, thus posing 0 risk in contamining the computer with malware! Well done to the open source community!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2004, 01:22 PM
EPoX Tech

To quote some documentation coming out of Taiwan a couple of hours ago :-

> The new 8RDA3+ 3.0

>

> The EPOX 8RDA3+ series has become a well known board for overclocking among power users. Seeing the unwavering popularity of 8RDA3+, EPOX has upgraded this model to the new 8RDA3+ 3.0 series. The new 3.0 series brings fresh design techniques and introduces useful features, and most importantly without incurring additional cost to the user.

>

> Among its many new features the audio jack-sensing and on board S/PDIF-out connector stands out to make 6-channel speaker setup a hassle free experience. Performance wise, EPOX has reviewed the problem of PWM MOSFET overheating; a common problem found in most overclocking boards. Figure 1 below illustrates this clearly.

>

>

>

> (Figure 1)

>

> The central MOSFET will experience a high temperature build up because its heat flow is trapped by other MOSFETS on its sides. This obviously result in component overheating and long term failure.

>

> EPOX has strategically revised this design to place the MOSFETs in a zig-zag manner hence allowing room for better air circulation (see Figure 2 below). This arrangement also allows air blown from the CPU fan to reach the MOSFETs which used to be blocked by a wall of tall capacitors.

>

>

> (Figure 2)

>

> On top of that, the plated heat-plane on the PCB offers an effective heat dissipation surface, making it as good as an onboard heatsink. With careful layout and selective components engineers at EPoX has discovered this design allows for cooling so efficient that even if the PWM are reduced to 2-phase, it still performs beyond expectation!

>

> Before releasing this design to market the engineers conducted many hours of burn-in test and measurements to ensure long term stability. As for the crucial point of overclocking performance they have conducted multiple comparisons with the old 8RDA3+ 2.0 design. EPOX is proud to conclude that version 8RDA3+ 3.0 performs equally impressive as the older 8RDA3+ 2.0.

>

> This result is expected since a motherboard's overclocking capability is highly dependant on the quality of the CPU, DDR chips and chipset. This will explain why some users will achieve different overclocking results than others. The PWM on the other hand plays a minor role as power supply. Its role is to simply to provide stable and enough power without overheating.

>

> This technical achievement on 8RDA3+ 3.0 clearly demonstrates efforts by the EPOX design team striving to provide users with better and reliable products. EPOX has also rewarded users of its 8RDA3 series with the new Power Pack package with useful tools and other goodies. Check out the EPOX website at www.epox.com.for more details on Power Pack.
Old 8th March, 2004, 08:44 AM
Benchmarker

Talking

Aggressive bus and FSB 210 is what I got. Tx ET. Now things are faster then ever, prime is running for hours with no errors.

Tx again

Chris

P.S. ET is my browser bad or the pictures are missing in the 8RDA3 review?

Old 8th March, 2004, 08:47 AM
EPoX Tech

Good to hear that that helps.

I didn't paste figure 1 or 2 but just the text. The images were of the PWM of rev 1.x/2.x in figure 1 and rev 3.x in figure 2 - or basically a 3phase solution and then the new slim phase 2 phase solution tht runs so cool and stable.

Last edited by EPoX Tech; 8th March, 2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 9th March, 2004, 06:28 AM

i'm using 8RDA+ rev2.1 and xp2500+ barton/9800pro/2x256mb hyperX pc3500 w/475watt HEC ...... all voltages at stock ...... at 9x200fsb i get only a few minutes stability then a blue screen with no messages ..... help me please Epoxtech .... with my previous 8K3A all components did up to 210fsb (my 8k3a's limit)
Old 30th November, 2004, 08:32 AM

is there anyway you could link to that tech doc?..
because the picture of the Rev. 3.x PWM could be of use to me..
or could you perhaps email that picture to me?

best regards.
- KANE
Old 30th November, 2004, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
Good to hear that that helps.

I didn't paste figure 1 or 2 but just the text. The images were of the PWM of rev 1.x/2.x in figure 1 and rev 3.x in figure 2 - or basically a 3phase solution and then the new slim phase 2 phase solution tht runs so cool and stable.
This I like. I'm supposed to be getting the 8RDA3I I ordered tomorrow... wonder which revision I'll get?

Also I'm planning on RMA'ing the 8RDA+ to the distributor, instead of Epox directly. I wonder what I'll get in return? Maybe it will be an 8RDA6+ after all Probably not
Old 1st December, 2004, 07:07 AM
EPoX Tech

The RMA culture - I really dig it.
Old 1st December, 2004, 09:28 PM

Now, ET. You know that if the price of a batch of Chinese capacitors is too good to be true, then it probably is. Naughty naughty.

So, I now have my 8RDA3I fresh out of the box. It's a v3.3. It's got some very pretty NB/SB heatsinks, little miniaturized itsy-bitsy MOSFETs (2 phase to the untrained eye) and what appears to be a liberal amount of the "tin foil heatsinking" that Aidan referred to a while back. And different brand caps. "OST" and "KZG" instead of "GSC". Let's see how it does.

I'm guessing by the general lack of noise I've heard in the forums, that overzealous OVP / OCP is not a problem with this board?
Old 1st December, 2004, 11:21 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tediber
i'm using 8RDA+ rev2.1 and xp2500+ barton/9800pro/2x256mb hyperX pc3500 w/475watt HEC ...... all voltages at stock ...... at 9x200fsb i get only a few minutes stability then a blue screen with no messages ..... help me please Epoxtech .... with my previous 8K3A all components did up to 210fsb (my 8k3a's limit)
You may want to start a separate thread... It's easy to get lost in a discussion. You might try upping the vddr a notch or relaxing the timing to see if that helps, for starters.
Old 4th December, 2004, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
AGP @ 1.7v (this helps)
Please elaborate. Helps stability at 233mhz?

I am having a little more difficulty running at 12.5x200 on the 8RDA3I than I did on my 8RDA+.

It appears from first glance that the Samsung PC2700 requires 2.77V, whereas it used to be happy (in the 8RDA+) with 2.5V (2.5-3-3-11 @ 13x196).

More testing is needed to confirm stability, but I wonder why this happens?