AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th March, 2004, 02:36 AM

Moving from onboard raid to a raid pci card

Hi, I have a Epox 8k9a2+ motherboard and would like to know if it is possible to move my already running highpoint raid 0 array off the onboard raid controller setup and to a raid pci card?? Is this possible I new I should have purchased a card before I setup it up so I would be able to transfer the existing raid setup to a new board down the road but like a dummy got lazy and didn't, So if anyone knows if this is possible I sure would like to know. Thinking about that and taking a look to see what highpoint raid cards are available I think it may be possible to purchase the right card. I believe on this board its either the HPT 370A OR 372, I'll check for sure next time I reboot, I guess my next question is I seem to remember I have to make sure to use the same driver version that was used when I installed windows, like when you flash your bios you needed to back sure that the highpoint driver version didn't change. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that question right but I think you'll get what I'm talking about so if this is the case where do I look to check into this. Thanks alot, this is looking possible. My highpoint floppy disk that came with the motherboard and that I used when installing windows says "High Point HPT 370A/372 V2.32" So now knowing that would I look for a highpoint card being the same version or atleast supporting the same version drivers/bios
goliath heatsink
OCZ EL-DDR 256mb PC3500
Geforce ti4200
Maxtor diamondmax 120gb x2
raid 0
pacific digital 48x12x48x
52x cd-rom
hitachi 21 monitor
digi-doc 5
Q4 full tower case modded
Raidmax 500w
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2004, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey1010
Hi, I have a Epox 8k9a2+ motherboard and would like to know if it is possible to move my already running highpoint raid 0 array off the onboard raid controller setup and to a raid pci card?? Is this possible I new I should have purchased a card before I setup it up so I would be able to transfer the existing raid setup to a new board down the road but like a dummy got lazy and didn't, So if anyone knows if this is possible I sure would like to know. Thinking about that and taking a look to see what highpoint raid cards are available I think it may be possible to purchase the right card. I believe on this board its either the HPT 370A OR 372, I'll check for sure next time I reboot, I guess my next question is I seem to remember I have to make sure to use the same driver version that was used when I installed windows, like when you flash your bios you needed to back sure that the highpoint driver version didn't change. I'm not sure if I'm explaining that question right but I think you'll get what I'm talking about so if this is the case where do I look to check into this. Thanks alot, this is looking possible. My highpoint floppy disk that came with the motherboard and that I used when installing windows says "High Point HPT 370A/372 V2.32" So now knowing that would I look for a highpoint card being the same version or atleast supporting the same version drivers/bios
I would email Highpoint and ask them about the specific Highpoint versions That I would be using. I would also back up everything first, just in case.

Best info that I have found is:

http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=8&fcid=7#171

"Can I transfer disks from one Highpoint controller to another?

Yes. A RAID array created on one Highpoint controller is generally recognised by a different Highpoint controller. If the old controller was based on the same Highpoint controller chip as the new one, and the same Highpoint BIOS is used by both, then there will certainly be no problem. If different BIOS releases are used by the old and new controller then there might be a risk of a damaged RAID array, but this is unlikely.

It is usually possible to migrate an array from one controller chip to another - I have successfully moved a RAID-0 array from an HPT370 controller to an HPT372 controller, and also from an HPT372 controller to an HPT374 controller. However, you must ensure that the Highpoint drivers are updated before Windows attempts to boot off the new controller (otherwise it will be unable to find a bootable partition). Under Windows 9x the system will boot in compatibility mode and then you simply need to update the drivers as normal. With Windows 2000/XP you will need to boot off the CDROM and then hit F6 to load the correct Highpoint drivers and then let the Windows installation then do a repair installation. You will then need to reinstall all the service packs and updates to the operating system. All other data is left intact.

It is also possible to move from a standalone PCI-based Hotrod RAID controller to a motherboard controller. The same comments as above apply."

No response from Epox

I emailed Highpoint on Saturday and they responded to me today.
Now that is support!! From a Company that would like to keep my business. And so they shall. Here is their response:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for your contacting us!
If the HPT374 use v1.x driver&BIOS, you can remove the RAID0 from HPT374 to HPT372. And you can use the latest vesrion driver&BIOS for HPT372 before you plug the hard disks to it and you can access the data on the RAID0. But you may not boot off RAID0 attached HPT372. It is caused by the different motherboard.
If the HPT374 use v3.x driver&BIOS, you can't remove the RAID0 from HPT374 to HPT372. The RAID0 can't be recognized normally.

Regards,
HighPoint Technologies Inc.

There, you see I was not asking for the world, just a little support info.
My 374HPT Raid0 array uses the v.1 So I am good with my arrangement to move it to the 372HPT Raid0.

WeldZilla
Old 5th March, 2004, 03:06 AM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

You have the 372 onboard. I wouldn't want to try it. Keep in mind that even with 2 HPT372 controllers, there may be differences. The bios for the onboard raid is usually different than a retail card. Also, the retail card may have additional features. If the data is very important, I'd back it up before trying to move it.
Old 5th March, 2004, 03:16 AM

Great info flylow, it is confusing on what will work and what won't and I did email highpoint today to see what they say, I knew I should have went w/ the card in the first place so I could move my drives when it was time for a new mobo but as usually I got lazy and didn't. Know I got 175+ gb of data I need to keep and the backup of it is way past due anyway (Thanks for reminding me Steve) so I think that is the first place to start then I'll go from there, Safely!
goliath heatsink
OCZ EL-DDR 256mb PC3500
Geforce ti4200
raid 0
52x cd-rom
hitachi 21 monitor
digi-doc 5
Raidmax 500w
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th March, 2004, 05:04 AM

i've transfered an array between two onboard hpt370's before with no problems, so it should be fine.
3Com 3CR990SVR97 Server NIC, DMX 6fire 24/96 LT, Hercules Radeon 9800Pro
Windows 2000 SP4

Angels fall farthest...
Old 5th March, 2004, 06:40 AM

Well here's what Highpoint told me I wish they would have included a little more info but if I understand it right as long as I use the same matching driver version as the bios version I already have installed I should be fine. Here's what they said in the email they sent me.......

You can purchase a RocketRAID controller card. Then you can use the same or later version driver&BIOS for it before you plug the hard disks to it. Then you can access the data on the RAID0.
We recommend customers use matching driver&BIOS version. You can find the matching information in the readme file of the driver&BIOS software package.

Regards,
goliath heatsink
OCZ EL-DDR 256mb PC3500
Geforce ti4200
raid 0
52x cd-rom
hitachi 21 monitor
digi-doc 5
Raidmax 500w
Old 5th March, 2004, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey1010
Well here's what Highpoint told me I wish they would have included a little more info but if I understand it right as long as I use the same matching driver version as the bios version I already have installed I should be fine. Here's what they said in the email they sent me.......

You can purchase a RocketRAID controller card. Then you can use the same or later version driver&BIOS for it before you plug the hard disks to it. Then you can access the data on the RAID0.
We recommend customers use matching driver&BIOS version. You can find the matching information in the readme file of the driver&BIOS software package.

Regards,
Sounds like it should work. If you try it let us know how it works out. All we can do is learn as we go.