AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st March, 2004, 12:38 AM

Trouble with a EP-8RDA3I Board

I just built a system with a 8RDA3I board, a XP 1800+, 512 DDR, and a 350 Watt power supply, but it will not power up. I think that I have everything connected correctly, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Main Rig: - Down
Proc: P4 2.66 Ghz Mobo: MSI MS-6701 RAM: 768 Mb DDR333 Video Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 OS: Windows XP SP2 / Mandrake Linux 9.0
Laptop:
Proc: P4 3.06 Ghz RAM: 1280 Mb DDR400 Video Card: ATI Radion Mobility 9000 OS: Windows XP SP2

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2004, 02:16 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you unplug and remove everything except the CPU and RAM, will it give you a powerup beep?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st March, 2004, 04:02 AM

No, just a high-pitched tone about two seconds after the the power switch is triggered, which lasts about a second, then nothing. None of the fans even spin up.

Proc: P4 2.66 Ghz Mobo: MSI MS-6701 RAM: 768 Mb DDR333 Video Card: GeForce4 Ti 4200 OS: Windows XP SP2 / Mandrake Linux 9.0
Laptop:
Proc: P4 3.06 Ghz RAM: 1280 Mb DDR400 Video Card: ATI Radion Mobility 9000 OS: Windows XP SP2

AOA Team fah
Old 21st March, 2004, 04:10 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

If you remove the CPU and RAM, you should still be able to power up the system. If that doesn't work, you need to start unplugging stuff from the PSU until you finally get the fans to start.
Old 21st March, 2004, 05:07 AM

OK, got it to powerup and POSTed. Now I am back to the same trouble I had before I replaced the mobo. Is it posable for a board to POST with a bad CPU?

Laptop:

AOA Team fah
Old 21st March, 2004, 05:12 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Hmmm............I wouldn't tend to think so. What's the problem that caused you to replace the mobo?
Old 21st March, 2004, 05:36 AM

It was a MSI K7N420 Pro board, I went to add more ram to the system and a new copper heatsink. After putting the system back together, I powered it up and it POSTed, then came to a trap error or a repeating reboot cycle. Everytime. Did the standard troubleshooting method, took the new ram out, same end point, new ram in only, same end point, took the new heatsink off, checked the chip for cracks, no visable cracks, reset the bios, tried to reformat the harddrive, and it got stuck on the system scan. Replaced the harddrive with a known good one with a fresh XP install, tried a different optical drive. It was at this point that I noticed two things about the MSI board. First there was a cap next to the CPU that had a dust ring around it, and that the CPU socket on the far side from the ringed cap was blackened. At this point I thought "Bad mobo." and replaced it. Hooked everything back up, and once I got it to power up it went back to the trouble I had with the first board. At this point the only thing that every config that I have tried has in common is the CPU, but I thought that a board could not POST if the CPU was bad.

Laptop:

AOA Team fah
Old 21st March, 2004, 05:57 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Well, I wouldn't think the CPU could cause this kind of problem, but as the man once said:

"When you've eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the truth."
Old 21st March, 2004, 06:10 AM

Thanks Gizmo,

If anyone is interested, I'll post what was wrong with the system if I ever get it figured out.

Thanks for all the help.

Laptop:

AOA Team fah