AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 18th April, 2004, 12:07 PM

Post EP-8RDA+ and ps/2 mouse problems

Hi,

I'm having some very wierd mouse problems with a ps2 port on my EP-8RDA+ (rev 2.1) motherboard. Actually i'm not totally sure, if it is the motherboard (no specific error codes, just FF), but i have read some similar reports about it.

Anyways the thing is that lately my mouse has totally stopped working. One day it just died in my hands, i tried to restart (that has happened before a very few times and it did work earlier), but no luck this time...

So basically the mouse wasn't working at all anymore, after the restart, bios said "CMOS updated" or something, so no recognization at all. I tried a different mouse and the same thing, and the mice work on other pc's. I tried removing the power led connectors and everything else, didn't work.

So i guessed the ps2 port was faulty. I sent it back to the store and the people there said that the mouse port was working fine.

I brought the motherboard back home and tried all kinds of things (leaving only necessary), nothing. Then i put some new thermal grease on my cpu. Now the computer recognized the mouse, but while working in windows (2000), the mouse wasn't acting totally correct and was kind of janky. After a few minutes it just died again. So for while the mouse did work some how.

With the new thermal grease the CPU temperature went down alot (it was about 50C, now it's about 40C with side case open). Right now the connection with the mouse is lost again. I also thought that it might have something to do with the voltages provided by my psu, but i believe my psu is fine (300W Component Pro, AOpen case, +5 is stable at 4.95V, -5 is about 5.12). Everything seems to be okay to me.

Oh... and the weather has been a lot warmer lately (i put the new pc together in winter, now the summer is coming).

I'm quite lost right now and ran out of ideas. All kind of ideas, similar experiences etc. are welcome.
Old 18th April, 2004, 03:28 PM
AOA Staff

Have you tried another mouse or tried your existing mouse on another PC?

It could be a loose wire in the mouse, which would explain why the problem is intermitant.
Old 18th April, 2004, 04:25 PM

Yes, i have tried the same mouse with a different computer.
Old 18th April, 2004, 05:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

At the risk of sounding stupid..........which PS/2 port do you have your mouse plugged in to? The reason I ask is because I have seen some computers where the keyboard would work just fine in either port, but the mouse would only work correctly in one of the ports.

Keyboard almost always goes in the bottom PS/2 connector.

BTW, welcome to the Forums!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th April, 2004, 05:43 PM

Thanks.
The mouse is connected in mouse ps2 port (the green one). Everything seems to be absolutely fine and correct, atleast i have no idea what could be wrong.
Old 18th April, 2004, 05:46 PM
AOA Staff

reinstalled drivers?
Old 18th April, 2004, 06:10 PM

Uumm... drivers? The mouse is not recognized by my computer bios at all (the led in my mouse is lit, and that's about it).
Old 18th April, 2004, 06:21 PM
AOA Staff

Are there any PCI cards installed which could be conflicting?
Old 18th April, 2004, 11:23 PM
Member/Contributer

Many moons ago I bought an 8RDA+ and I could not get the keyboard to work. It was intermittent too, someitmes I could get into the BIOS and other times the kyeboard was dead from the moment I hit power. I tried several different power supplies (ET didn't think much of my 550W Q-Tec powah!) and 3 different keyboards but no go.
Installing Windows was impossible as the keyboard would die, lights would go out, right at the Win Setup screen. Dont know about the mouse functionality!
I had to send it back and I got whats in my sig now.

Laz.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 19th April, 2004, 01:18 PM

Hello.
I must be some sort of a special kind of idiot. It seems that the mouse was disfunctional. I just lent my mouse to my friend and it quit working after a while. And the non-optical mouse he gave me is working quite fine. Probrably the problem of wires in the mouse.

So i guess this case is closed.

Thanks for everyone for their help.
Old 19th April, 2004, 02:16 PM
AOA Staff

Loose connections and wires are always a good source of confusion!
Old 20th April, 2004, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromsh
Hello.
I must be some sort of a special kind of idiot. It seems that the mouse was disfunctional.....
Whoa! Take it easy on yourself, the damn mouse was messed up, that's all.
Bob
THERMALRIGHT SLK900u 92mm Zalman fan, Enlight 420 watt, AIW 9000 Pro 64mb DDR agp4x, voltage mod 1.85v
Home made NB cooler
AOA Team fah