AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 21st January, 2002, 05:24 AM

Talking Happy and Proud New owner of 8KHA+

First off, I would like to thank AOA Forums and especially to Epox Tech for offering his help, knowledge and technical expertise for all us owners of Epox motherboards. Your presence here is very much appreciated.

Secondly, TO ALL NEW OWNERS OF THE 8KHA+ MB, PLEASE BE PATIENT AND SPEND A DAY OR TWO READING THROUGH ALL THE POSTS IN THIS FORUM. I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT IT'LL BE ABLE TO ANSWER 90% OF YOUR QUESTIONS REGARDING THE MOBO.

I obtained my 8KHA+ through an upgrade program with a certain company here in Hong Kong(which I will refrain from naming) from my previous 8K7A+ mobo, which also served me extremely well.

I spent the weekend setting it up and here are the specs:

1.33 Tbird@1470(140x10.5)
Custom made Swifttech lookalike HS and 'Hoot-Chute' air cooling
x1 Samsung 256DDR PC2100(Turbo setting)
Modded Innovision GF2 Ultra O/C to 310/550
IBM 40G HDD UDMA100
Sony 52X CDROM
Sparkle 350W
Alternating between W98SE and W2K(SP2) OS
BETA 8khai2116 BIOS
Det 23.11
DirectX8.1
VIA 4.34
Temps(during POST) CPU-28C, System-24C, Ambient-15C

At 140x10.5 in W2K, I can play Nascar Racing 4 all day long without ANY problems. It keeps chugging along like the good 'ole choo-choo train! I think I've reach my limit with the current STOCK mobo setup.

I did manage to boot and POST at 1336@167x8, 3/4 DRAM but I got 'Inaccesible Boot Device Failure'. If you have READ through previous posts, you will know that EPOX Tech had mentioned IBM being finicky at high FSB. SO, if you're buying everything and not just mobo alone, heed that advice well.

Therefore, to get me to the next level, I've got to consider the following,

1. Watercooling setup. The recent articles at Ed Stroligo's website about waterblocks by that Yugoslavian guy piqued my interest since I have access to a machine shop.

2. Better memory(duh). Upgrade to Micron/Crucial DDR333

3. Replace IBM HDD with Maxtor or WD HDD.

4. Perform mobo voltage mods.

If you're wondering why I havent listed a CPU upgrade, I'm going to wait for the dot one three puppies. Until then, I'll see where I can take the 1.33 to.

I welcome any further suggestions as well as constructive criticisms to my setup.

Thank you.

Last edited by johnyew; 21st January, 2002 at 05:27 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st January, 2002, 07:40 AM
Member/Contributer

Send a message via ICQ to Betty Send a message via MSN to Betty

Excellent first post!!!
Welcome home, grab a chair, have a drink and enjoy
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming... Boy, What a ride!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 21st January, 2002, 08:54 AM

Talking You're too kind but

thank you!

I've been lurking here for a while now but registered last Sunday once my 8KHA+ was up and running without any hiccups.

I can definitely confirm now that presently, my MBI hdd is whats holding me back from 160+ FSBs, 3/4 DRAM or no 3/4 DRAM. Neither W98SE nor W2KSP2 will alleviate the 'Boot Device Inaccesible' error.

Can anybody confirm for me if they had switched from an MBI to either a rotxaM or DW and managed to boot into Windows? I would appreciate it.

Thank you again.
Old 24th January, 2002, 06:24 PM

Question

I have heard of IBM problems in corrupted files when using the SBLive card on a VIA chipset mobo.

I have never heard of the problem you are having. I have an IBM HD, now been in 3 different systems, with absolutely no problems at all. The HD I have is 46g, 7200rpm, UDMA5 and as I stated I never have had any problem.

I am not by any means saying what you are saying is not fact. I just have not expierenced, this or heard of anyone else with this problem.. Have you talked to IBM about this problem and see what they say?? There are a lot of tool files on thier site to check and repair the drive you have. Have you downloaded any of these and tried them on your HD to see if there are any problems with the drive?

I am just tring to help you even I am at a loss over the problem.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 25th January, 2002, 03:11 AM

Only at high FSB's...

do I experience the error. Once I crank the FSB back down to 145~150, everything runs smoothly. I wasnt really dissapointed at this because it's been stated in the forums before.

It's been a week now of tinkering the system switching back and forth between 98SE and W2KSP2 and I have to retract my previous statement regarding the IBM hdd capability.

At 3/4DRAM, my system is now stable at 1577@166x9.5. If I bump it up 1 Mhz to 167, it wont boot at all giving me only the Inaccesible Boot Device error.

At 133Mhz DRAM, my system will be stable at 1396@147x9.5. Bumping the FSB up 1 Mhz will cause the system unable to detect a file called ntoskrnl(sp?).
Bumping multiplier to 10.0x147 however, will result in a system freeze during W2K startup splash screen.

Therefore, what I can deduce from my tinkering is that my DDR is capable of only 147FSB while my HDD can sustain a max FSB of 166. Is that a fair assumption? I would welcome comments, suggestions and constructive criticism.

I'm thinking of getting the Kingmax PC2400 or the PC2700 during the weekend and mod it further with some heat sinks and ASII. I know, I know..get Micron or Crucial but I've got to work with what I can get and right now I cant get Micron nor Crucial.
Old 25th January, 2002, 03:54 AM

Im running two IBM drives in my system.

One is the infamous 45gb 75Xgp
the other a 16gb Deskstar 16gp

I can happily run 171 fsb fastest timings with these drives and my crucial 2100 DDR at 3v.

Ive yet to try the 3/4 ram devider as im afraid of HDD corruption.
Once ive had time to ghost my system ill try it out.

Im also running a SB live value
Xp-1700 @ 1670mhz (unlocked multiplyer)

Welcome to the forums.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Old 25th January, 2002, 03:58 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Glad you found us of value johnyew, pleasent manners such as yours will always find a welcome!
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 25th January, 2002, 07:33 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by Holst
Im running two IBM drives in my system.

One is the infamous 45gb 75Xgp
the other a 16gb Deskstar 16gp

I can happily run 171 fsb fastest timings with these drives and my crucial 2100 DDR at 3v.

Ive yet to try the 3/4 ram devider as im afraid of HDD corruption.
Once ive had time to ghost my system ill try it out.

Im also running a SB live value
Xp-1700 @ 1670mhz (unlocked multiplyer)

Welcome to the forums.
JohnYew - Welcome to the forums.

Holst - if you're going to try for the 200MHz FSB after you've ghosted (only a quick job to ghost your data but the best thing ever) - you may need to remove your soundcard as SB Lives tend to spew at about 196MHz Host Clock - I killed 2 at just over 198MHz. The AC'97 works fine at 230MHz (actually sounds better than at lower FSB's?)
Old 25th January, 2002, 09:17 AM

Talking Warm fuzzies all over.....

Thank you everybody for the warm reception.

Daniel - I've lurked here for quite some time now and know you dont need another dickhead running amok in here. You've got your hands full as it is.

Holst - I'll see if changing memory will also change the overclocking threshold of my IDM hdd. Will keep you posted.

Epox Tech - I'm quite happy and satisfied with the on-board sound. Glad to hear it works well at 230FSB(using SoftFSB?) I have a question though, does where the system hang indicate which component is causing it, i.e. POST, 1st W2K startup, W2K splash screen startup, etc.

Once again, thanks everybody for the warm and friendly reception.
Kingmax PC2700 256MBDDR
Inno3D GF2Ultra@300/530
Sparkle 350W
IDM 40G UDMA100
Sony CDROM 52X
Homemade H2O
Old 28th January, 2002, 04:25 AM

Talking Kingmax PC2700 excellent!!!

The Kingmax is absolutely fantastic!! Straight up it will POST and boot into W2KSP2 at DRAM 133MHZ, 1494@166x9 at STOCK 2.5Volts!!! Unbelieveable!!

I spent half a day playing Nascar4, StarWars Galactic Empire, BGII, Sub Command and had a few freezes but that was at 166x9.5. Adjusted to 166x9, everything became stable.

Right now, it seems my hdd is what's holding me back from going further than 166FSB. I want to confirm this by swapping in either a Maxtor or WD.

Will keep everybody posted.
Kingmax PC2700 256MBDDR
Inno3D GF2Ultra@300/530
Sparkle 350W
IDM 40G UDMA100
Sony CDROM 52X
Homemade H2O
Old 28th January, 2002, 08:16 AM

Lightbulb Looks like I...

... haven't been catching up on hdd advancement in a while.

I was searching the local Hong Kong computer center website and it seems that only Maxtor has the ATA133 rating for its hdd. Epox Tech, are you refering to this category of hdd for high FSBs?

Here's a theoritical question then, if I use the Maxtor to boot into W2KSP2 at high FSBs, will my IBM still work in windows enviroment???

Or do I need to change the IBM to ATA66 in BIOS to overcome this problem?
Kingmax PC2700 256MBDDR
Inno3D GF2Ultra@300/530
Sparkle 350W
IDM 40G UDMA100
Sony CDROM 52X
Homemade H2O