AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th May, 2004, 02:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to arin

Unlocking the a64...

The current athlon 64's are only multiplyer unlocked going down, we most all know this, but what about unlocked to make the multiplyers higher. Is it possible that in the future a bios modification will allow for this or would the only way possible be from shorting some of the pins (like was such with old pentium's).
Basically, is there ANY chance that these things will be unlockable, ever?
Old 25th May, 2004, 03:07 PM
AOA Staff (should be working)

Send a message via ICQ to dod Send a message via Yahoo to dod

Are you asking the same thing in a different way here?

8HDA3+ Bios upgrades?
Old 25th May, 2004, 05:34 PM

Forgot all about that one.... yes and no. I was wondering if they were goign to have a bios upgrade that would allow it. Seems like the chips are locked so I'm wondering if there is some hardware mod that will allow this if software will not.
Old 25th May, 2004, 07:27 PM
AOA Staff

It will never be possible via a BIOS upgrade. The A64 chips are well and truly locked. You can of course lower the multiplier and/or raise the FSB. I overclock mine in Windows using the ClockGen program.

BTW, I like your photos, very original looking. What type of lighting do you use?
Old 25th May, 2004, 08:00 PM
EPoX Tech

I'm with Danrok on this one agreeing that the chips are a bum to unlock (as in it is not possible - they can only power step multipliers) and that your photography absolutely rocks.

Nice work Arin.
Old 26th May, 2004, 02:26 PM

Poopie...

Thanks about the photography. I actually just uploaded about 20 more pictures here:
http://www.arinahnell.com/05-25-04/ <- night photos
http://www.arinahnell.com/05-26-04/ <- VW's
http://www.arinahnell.com/04-23-04/helenadance.jpg <- my girlfriend, center right, dancing.

I mainly use slide film on my 21 year old nikon fg. The night shots are about 5 mins long at f2.8. I use only moon light, ambient light around (usually none) and my vivitar 285 flash with homemade gels over it. They are all REAL photographs and not computer generated.

My goal is to make the real world look fake w/o a computer or darkroom.
Old 26th May, 2004, 02:29 PM
EPoX Tech

I'll take a look at the other pictures shortly - I enjoyed the others immensely.

Multiplier doesn't matter so much with Athlon 64 it seems as we can adjust many elements - Memory bus, HT frequency, HT ratio and also reduce CPU ratio - using all of these elements you will be able to overclock as well as you could possibly dream.
Attached Thumbnails
Unlocking the a64...-gettingfsb.gif