AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 28th May, 2004, 01:47 AM

Epox 8RDA3I + NVidia Forceware

Hey all, I just sign up

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it anywhere on the board or seraching google for a good hour.

I was wondering if there was a way to get 5.1 sound working right with this board (8RDA3I) using the funky NVidia driver & utility. I'm using the CMedia Xear panel and drivers atm, although they're not bad and work, I wouldn't mind trying out the nvidia ones if thats possible to do with this chipset.

I can get the drivers and utility installed fine, but setting up 5.1 is the problem. I can't seem to get any sound from the center, sub or rear speakers. I've made sure its all set to 5.1 (running the speaker setup sets it to 2 speakers after answering no when I dont hear any sound out of the above speakers). I've also made sure 5.1 is selected in XPs sound & audio devices, but get the same result.

Anyway, thanks for reading Hope someone has some ideas, or even a 'it wont work with that board' would be great so I can stop trying lol

Thanks again

Sarcoma
Old 28th May, 2004, 04:30 PM

I always had poor experiences with the Cmedia chipset/drivers and 4.1 sound. Games just never sounded quite right. I couldn't get much sound from the rear speakers at all, only a few gunshots. It was actually more immersive to force my speakers into "4-channel stereo" mode (ie, rear channels duplicate front). Maybe it's because the drivers didn't support EAX2? (they might now, a few years later).

That's just my experience. Was much happer with MCP-T audio and nForce drivers. But I seriously doubt that you will be able to make the nForce drivers work with the Cmedia chipset.

I personally wouldn't purchase anything from Creative on general principle. The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is an old standard, but I suggest you do some research into the VIA Envy24 cards (such as Chaintech's) and see how people are liking them - they're usually pretty cheap.
Old 2nd June, 2004, 07:55 PM
EPoX Tech

Hi there,

As the Vendor ID of the audio codec on your board is for CMedia, it is not possible to install codec software for another APU without changing the Vendor ID for the codec which isn't possible without a BIOS re-write and compile unless you patch the registry at the expense of possibly a great deal of system stability.
Old 2nd June, 2004, 08:21 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

From what I know of the board, the forceware drivers won't run the cmedia hardware, so it won't work.