AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 23rd January, 2002, 02:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to Scion Alex

Command Rate 2T or 1T ??

I have a (now) perfectly stable and very fast system up and running, and i'm using the newest bios, which is great. I must say, I am so happy I took the risk and went with Epox, because I almost bought the KR7A-RAID, and now i'm glad because I feel like I have a higher quality board. (the Abit is nice too....but the Epox feels better to me)

Anyway...I have an excellent speed bin of Micron's generic PC2100 CL 2.5 memory. It will run at the most aggressive settings at 150 FSB without any problems at all (haven't gone higher because I don't want to bother unlocking my CPU and I need stability....which I have)

I know the new BIOS locks in a 2T command rate. I know my memory will do 1T. Is there a WPCREDIT register to change this ? Should I change this if there is ? MR or Epox Tech or any other knowledgeable person, please weigh in on this issue....

Looking forward to the Epox version of Crush K8G
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd January, 2002, 06:35 AM
EPoX Tech

You cannot change the command rate to 1 cycle in this BIOS ? That is something for me to look at - but is also something that will greatly increase aggresive ness to the point at which FSB may be reduced.

I'll have a gander
Old 23rd January, 2002, 11:21 AM

Why did you lock the cycle to 2 clocks rather than have the option to change the command to 1T allowing for more aggresive memory timings. Is it due to some consumers having poor quality memory.

Paul.K
Gf4 Ti4600
Audigy Platnium
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 23rd January, 2002, 07:58 PM

Yes Epox Tech,

If I select 1T command rate in the BIOS, then Sandra will still report that the memory is at 2CMD. I'm also taking this assumption from Muskin Rules over at amdmb.com where he states that the new BIOSes lock a 2T command rate. I just figured that this was done along with the interleave lock by Epox on purpose.

I'd really like to enable it if I could because I'm not going over 150 FSB and I've run this memory at 1T previously without issue.

My current settings are : 2 - 6 - 2 / 4 level / 8 burst /4 bank interleave and 2T command rate. everything else is on auto or enabled in the BIOS.

Check the attached Sandra JPG
Attached Thumbnails
Command Rate 2T or 1T ??-sandra.jpg  

Old 24th January, 2002, 01:54 AM

Fixed Problem

I fixed the problem on my own using WPCREDIT. The register that I changed was register 48 to decimal value 78 and I am now running in 1 command. Very slight difference obviously, but it does add up. I'm not having any stabilty issues.

I also changed register 58 to decimal value 77 in order to enable
16 bit Vlink. I'm not sure why this was at 8 bit but i certainly noticed a small improvement in responsiveness by doing this. Or it could have been my head. Anyway, I'm not sure whether 8 bit Vlink or 16bit Vlink is standard, but i'm at 16 now

Thanks for taking a look at this Epox Tech, perhaps it could be changed in future versions of the BETA (enthusiast) BIOS series for this board. The board has a large enthusiast following as i'm sure you're aware.

Check out the differences below :
Attached Thumbnails
Command Rate 2T or 1T ??-sandra.jpg  

Old 24th January, 2002, 03:27 PM

I have tried setting the V-Link Bus to 16bit and Now I can't transfer songs to my Nomad Player, I am going to see if that is the problem and not a software bug, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 24th January, 2002, 05:55 PM

Question

I flashed to the 2116 bios for the 8KHA+ day before yesterday. I am reading this thread and became concerned over the 1T and 2T Command. I just rebooted and checked the setting. In bios my setting is at 1T, just like I had been with 11/02/01 bios.. Are you telling me that although the bios reports 1T, it is actually locked at 2T???

I have no problems with this bios, and actually see no difference in this new beta bios over the 11/2 final bios that I had been using. I do not even try to run the fsb at over 150, at currect I am running at 140 on a XP1800+. Stability, Speed, Reliability, all are excellent, I do not know why I even flashed to the 2116 bios except I was reading from persons that stated it was better for them. So I decided to try it.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS
Old 24th January, 2002, 06:23 PM

using wpcrset you can set reg 58=17 to get 1t back.
you might need a different setting depending on which bank your mem is in
2x 30Gig IBM GXP75
Epox EP-DRO2P3 Raid - 0
WinXP Corporate.
Bandwidth
Old 24th January, 2002, 06:36 PM

WPCREDIT

I'm definately running faster after the mods, no problems (so far)

The 11/16 BIOS has several fixes the biggest one being the fact that UDMA can be enabled/disabled on CDROM drives now and they'll use ATA 33 (UDMA 2) instead of PIO 4 (Multi word DMA 2)

That's doubling bandwidth from 16.6 MB/s to 33.3 MB/s MAX.

Also, i might have written the aformentioned WPCREDIT settings above backwards; The important thing to remember when editing these settings is that you should not copy the value other people set because it may not be the one you need...

for example I set register 58 to 77 for my 2T to 1T when some people need to set it to 17....it depends on your ram setup.
Familiarity with WPCREDIT is recommended, browse the forums at www.amdmb.com or here as a good reference guide first.

Alex

Old 26th January, 2002, 01:57 AM

Question

I don't think I ever got an answer to the question I asked. I flashed to the 2116 bios, have gone into bios and checked the 1T command. It is changable to what ever I wish to set it. 1 or 2, I have it set at 1T, My question was is it actually 2T or is it running at 1T like the bios states?? Please I would like an answer to this, because I will flash back to the 11/2/01 bios. If this is a fact. I had no problems with the 11/02 bios, and don't really know why I flashed to the 2116 because I am not gonna be unlocking my XP and running these extreme fsb.
Sapphire X1950 Pro XGWarCat6.12's
Hatachi SATA2 160gb
Seagate IDE 50gb backup
2x1gb Corsair XMS
OnBoard w/Logitech 5.1
ASUS 16x DVDr, Teac 1.44
Pioneer DL 16x DVDrw EMC7.5
Tsunami Dream Blk w/blue lights
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ XGamer 700Watt PS