AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 16th June, 2004, 04:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tlemaste

Am I Killing my MoBo?

Since I have upgraded my system (replaced my Athlon 1.4 with the XP2600+) I have been very satisfied with the performance, but....

Three times since May 12th (when I installed the new cpu) I have gotten the BSOD with the
***Hardware Malfunction, etc.

No other indications. These have all occurred durring the night when the system was running un-attended - nothing intensive. Evenings were cool with the cpu temp in the 39-42c range, not folding (at the time), just downloading some binaries (for evaluation purposes only, ). I have NOT checked yet to see if the caps were bulging on the mb. I guess I'm afraid of what I might see. Does anyone know if the XP2600+ draws too much power for the 8KHA+ board? The cpu is officially supported, but....???

Would it be worth my time to assume the hardware is still stable and it's a firmware/driver problem?

If the unthinkable happens, and I am forced to part company with this mb, what are some reccomendations for a mb that will let me continue to use most (if not all) of my current parts (see my sig)? If I have to get a new mb I'll be on an extremely limited budget!

Thanks,
Phenom II - X4 w/stock hs/f
Rosewill Gamers Case
2x - OCZ Flex-ex 2Gb 1200 DDR2
2x - OCZ 1Gb 800 DDR2
Pioneer 22x dvd burner
2x - WD 1Tb 7200 Rpm HD
WD 600GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD 340GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD 300GB 7200 Rpm HD
WD external 1Tb 7200 Rpm HD
evga NVidia GTX 460 SE
on-board Gbe Lan
Samsung SyncMaster SA300
ACER AK2016W
Thermaltake 800 watt psu
Win 7 Pro
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th June, 2004, 04:38 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Drop your multi to 15 and see if the system stability improves. If it does, the problem most likely is NOT the mobo.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 16th June, 2004, 05:16 PM
EPoX Tech

I'd say that the 2600+ doesn't pull too much power from the EP-8KHA+, but does draw on a very high level of current - perhaps a little too much for an outmoded PWM.
Old 16th June, 2004, 06:55 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

What PSU are you using? Just curious. I've noticed on a couple of my PSUs, they seem to lose a bit of their 'umph'. On one, I thought the CPU was losing it's overclock and gave up 200mhz to get it stable. Months later, I swapped out PSUs and noticed I got the performance back. The PSU is only 3 years old, and still works in a less demanding envirnment... but what's the fun in that?

If the caps on the mobo are fine, and everything else is fine, check your 5v rail. If it is low (<4.8v) or fluctuates a lot, it may be unable to handle the load.
Old 9th September, 2004, 12:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to PaulPhoenix Send a message via MSN to PaulPhoenix Send a message via Yahoo to PaulPhoenix

Lightbulb

Hi everyone.. I actually registered just to be able to propose a solution to this problem. I have the same problem with my m/b. Everythings fine with my old Duron 800, but the new XP2000+ I bought yesterday causes the same error. If it does not appear during startup, it certainly occurs when I run the Memory Bandwidth benchmark in SiSoft Sandra. (BTW, the system passes all the CPU-related benchmarks without a hitch, provided that the system can survive until the login is complete in WinXP.)

Things I tried:
  1. Default Fail-Safe settings
  2. Default Optimized Settings
  3. Single stick of DDR Ram
  4. Barebones system
  5. Looking for updated drivers
  6. (BIOS is already updated to latest version)

When I checked EPOX US, I found the following:
KB article

The article does not cover 8KHA+ but I think it's worth a try. I'll try it tonight and post the results. If anyone gets to try it before I do, please send the results as well.
Old 9th September, 2004, 12:38 PM

Disabling SSE? Ugh. If you are interested in the performance of your SSE-enabled applications (think DirectX), and this "fix" does indeed work, I'd consider a newer board anyhow.

Curious though, I wonder why this is a KB article for the 8K5A*, but not the 8K3A*? (Same NB, different SB).
Old 9th September, 2004, 02:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to PaulPhoenix Send a message via MSN to PaulPhoenix Send a message via Yahoo to PaulPhoenix

I don't like it either But if disabling SSED "solves" the problem, I will know where the problem is. Then I might go for a new board rather than for a CPU replacement (which won't solve anything if EPOX 8KHA+ is the cause.)

PS: I have searched many forums for this problem and I have seen a few 8KHA+ problems and lots of 8K5A* problems but no 8K3A*..

Win XP SP1 Turkish Edition
Epox 8KHA+
Duron 800 / Athlon XP 2000+ Model 8
2x128 MB 266 Mhz DDR-Ram
120 GB Seagate IDE HDD
256 Kbit/s DSL
Old 9th September, 2004, 09:22 PM

Unhappy

I've listed the things I've tried in another thread. But the short version is: No luck!

System Halted 8KHA+ and AMD 2400+

Win XP SP1 Turkish Edition
Epox 8KHA+
Duron 800 / Athlon XP 2000+ Model 8
2x128 MB 266 Mhz DDR-Ram
120 GB Seagate IDE HDD
256 Kbit/s DSL