AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 24th January, 2002, 01:56 AM

8khal problems

Hi, I've noticed it seems I'm the only one who has this mainboard. Anyway. I couldn't run my 1.4 200fsb chip on this board so I unlocked it and set the multiplier to 13x, it seems to run fine now. I'm using crucial pc1600 and antec 400w psu. My temps range between 48 and 53C. I feel that something is not supporting this processor be it memory or even the mainboard. I would think if the mainboard was bad, I would have more serious problems. the jumper, and every setting in bios is set to 100mhz and the memory timings are on auto. (CL 2)and with no optimized settings. The pc1600 seems like the likely culprit because it was real cheap. I am under the impression that it may have been out of production before the 1.4ghz processor was realeased. Other than that, it would most likely be a bad processor. But it's hard to say. My processor worked fine in a K7s5a. I do know that certain epox boards do not support the 1.4 at 200fsb. That's my other suspicion. I have a bastard cpu that no one cares to support.
Old 24th January, 2002, 04:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Have you tried droping the multiplier to 10.5X and running a 133MHz FSB?

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2002, 12:28 AM

I could try that but all I have is pc1600 memory, and right now I can't justify purchasing new memory for the expense that it is. This memory is really crappy because it will not support any optimized settings whatsoever while running default 100mhz bus. Seems like the memory would be the whole problem.
Old 25th January, 2002, 01:17 AM

The chipset can run the memory at 100MHz while running the FSB at 133MHz.

The KHAL has the ability to increase the memory voltage, right? That might help you optimize the memory a bit.

Good luck . . . .

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2002, 01:52 AM

DUDE!

Holy crap! I just did just that, and obviously it worked! Then raised the voltage one notch on the memory and got every optimization running! Never thought I'd overclock. Be it ever so mild though. It suprised the hell out of me to see that a 1400 266fsb processor uses multiplier 10.5x. Other than painting my bridges, what's better than graphite? I know plycon once had a sticker you could place over them. So basically, this board does not support my default processor. But who cares now!? Not me. I don't care. Oh, no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no! Tommy the cat was his name....
Old 25th January, 2002, 02:01 AM

thanks man. Exactly what I needed, someone to spell it out to me. EXCELLENT!
Old 25th January, 2002, 02:05 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

The dimmreaper
strikes AGAIN!!":O}
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Old 25th January, 2002, 06:40 AM

Re: DUDE!

Quote:
Originally posted by deadgeishas
Other than painting my bridges, what's better than graphite?
Graphite is more than adiquate when properly applied. A mechanical pencil with No.2 Led is the ticket. I just be sure to get it on nice and heavy, and I try not to criss-cross any bridges. When done properly, you will never need to re-applie . . . .

AOA Team fah

Last edited by dimmreaper; 25th January, 2002 at 06:45 AM.
Old 25th January, 2002, 09:56 AM
EPoX Tech

Nice one Jeff !
Old 25th January, 2002, 11:55 PM

Thumbs up

I sharpened a wood No. 2 pencil finely with a knife, and got it on very heavy, taking special care not to touch adjacent bridges to each other. I don't think it's going to come off. Good to know, thanks again! It was like a free processor upgrade. I love it every time I hit the power switch it will say 1400mhz 266fsb. I'm going to let it run at that, not so willing to get wild with it right now. It's also interesting how while system performance has significantly increased, so has stability! I'm not getting ghosts and file load errors anymore. Of course several changes have happened since then, ie. latest bios and 4-in-1 drivers. I wasn't so sure before but now I feel confident about my 8khal! Excellent board! The only gripe I have is that I installed my OS w/out disabling ACPI function, and my IRQs are REAL BAD. Wants to set just about everything to IRQ 11. That's just ridiculous. I think this board let's you fix it back, even though some suggest to have it disabled before windows install. I've set them manually once before and gone into system to check, was still a little funny but at least not everything was all on one irq.
Sincerely,
Another Epox convert