AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1st July, 2004, 02:09 AM

Bios & Boot

My PC will not boot with external cache on all of a sudden. I have to turn it off before it will boot.

In addition, my normal video card cannot access the bios, it is just a blue screen with an equal sign. When i throw another video card in there there is no problem, i can get to the bios.
Old 1st July, 2004, 08:53 AM
Chief Systems Administrator

Can you provide more detail than that? For example, the components involved. If you can, name the motherboard, processor and graphics card.

For what it's worth, it might be an issue with the graphics card, given that some of the problems go away when you put a different card in!
Old 1st July, 2004, 01:43 PM

Once upon a time I had a P90 on a 430FX board. One day, I couldn't compile my kernel. Disabling the external cache fixed it. Eventually, I discovered that the COAST module had a big burn mark in the center of it. This probably isn't your problem though
Old 1st July, 2004, 03:00 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnansley
Once upon a time I had a P90 on a 430FX board. One day, I couldn't compile my kernel. Disabling the external cache fixed it. Eventually, I discovered that the COAST module had a big burn mark in the center of it. This probably isn't your problem though

A nice heart warming story though jnansley!!!
Old 3rd July, 2004, 02:08 AM

Abit Ti4200 OTES
Epox 8rda3+
AMD XP 2800+

Any help would be great... im noticing a HUGE decrease in performance.
Old 3rd July, 2004, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrags11
Abit Ti4200 OTES
Epox 8rda3+
AMD XP 2800+

Any help would be great... im noticing a HUGE decrease in performance.
Are the problems independent or related? IE, if you swap the video card, does the "external cache" problem go away?

Are you running at stock speed? Also try en/disabling "ECC L2 Cache" or whatever the 8RDA3+ calls it.

This sounds like one of those annoying problems where you have to swap every component until you find the problem. So, find a buddy with a Socket A CPU and motherboard, and get ready for hours of endless frustration
Old 3rd July, 2004, 02:55 AM

The external cache doesn't work with either video card. I swapped out the memory also. So basically i have swapped out everything except the cpu. I will swap out the cpu if needed. Running at stock speed. When i enable the external cache, L2 cache, the pc doesnt boot at all with both video cards and both memory.