AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 2nd July, 2004, 01:47 AM

Can I run a Barton Mobile on my Epox 8KHA+?

hey guys wassup i just registered in this forum and here's my first question...

i'm thinking about buying an Athlon XP Mobile 2500+ for overclocking purposes. i want to know if my mobo supports it, and if i'll be able to overclock it well since the mobo's kinda old and my memories are PC2100.

what problems may i have and how can i solve them?
Old 3rd July, 2004, 03:04 AM

Try:

8K3A+ & XP-M 2600 Higher Multipliers

I'm sure that the board does not officially support Barton CPU's. However, since people are reporting some success with the 8K7A, then you might have a chance.

Of course, it is kind of an expensive chance - be prepared to either return the CPU if it doesn't work, or get a new motherboard.

There is that nasty issue with current draw, too... if you manage to overclock an XP-M on one of these older boards, there's no telling how long the MOSFETs and capacitors will handle it, depending on how far you overclock. It's not something you really think about, until you have a few nasty surprises like me.

I would recommend heatsinking MOSFETs and pointing a fan at the PWM circuitry, on ANY motherboard with an overclocked XP-M.
Old 3rd July, 2004, 11:58 AM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnansley
Try:

8K3A+ & XP-M 2600 Higher Multipliers

I'm sure that the board does not officially support Barton CPU's. However, since people are reporting some success with the 8K7A, then you might have a chance.

Of course, it is kind of an expensive chance - be prepared to either return the CPU if it doesn't work, or get a new motherboard.

There is that nasty issue with current draw, too... if you manage to overclock an XP-M on one of these older boards, there's no telling how long the MOSFETs and capacitors will handle it, depending on how far you overclock. It's not something you really think about, until you have a few nasty surprises like me.

I would recommend heatsinking MOSFETs and pointing a fan at the PWM circuitry, on ANY motherboard with an overclocked XP-M.
Well stated since lower voltage means higher current switch - the impedance loading is phenomenal under these scenarios - particularly for older style PWM's and certainly those none bucked PWM's - I know it's a long time coming but get ready for the 8RDA6+Pro and it's pseudo 6 phase buck - a real lady killer of a PWM circuit.