AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 7th July, 2004, 06:12 PM

8kda3+ Raid 5 or not

I have seen multiple different spec sheets for the 8KDA3+. Many specify raid 5 throught eh SATA 3114 controller, many do not. I am trying to get a clear picture if it does.

If so I have 4 X 200GB SATA drives i'll be ordering immediately.

Any help would be appreciated.

FYI
http://www.epox.org/products/mainboa...a3/index.shtml
This says yes.

http://www.epox.com/USA/product.asp?id=EP-8KDA3plus
This does not list it.

I'm so confused "sob"
Old 7th July, 2004, 07:23 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

Any particular reason you want RAID5?
Old 7th July, 2004, 08:23 PM

Yes

It would be very nice to have a redundant, speedy hd space for all my business info. It would also make my level of concern regarding the safety of my data less. Should also improve speed.

Raid 0 is out.
Raid 1 is expensive and greatly reduces space.
Raid 5 is safe and fast and listed as a benefit of this board on some sites.
Old 8th July, 2004, 09:31 AM

...asked Epox support in germany the same question. Answer is they are waiting for SIL to release proper BIOS/drivers. I wonder what the performance of a RAID-5-Array will be since the SIL 3114 has no xtra RAM . Anyway, found an interesting article at Tom's Hardware: http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20040625/
Old 8th July, 2004, 10:34 AM

I have asked similar questions on this board and never received a reply.
Old 8th July, 2004, 11:14 AM

I also asked the same Question....

the answer: It is a SOFT-Raid5..... whatever that means...

Importend for me is, that i could BOOT from Raid5 !!!

On Siliconimage there is NO Information about Raid 5 !!

The sil3114 has only Raid 0 1 and 0+1
http://www.siliconimage.com/products/sii3114.asp

The sil3124 has Raid5 but is for PCI-X
http://www.siliconimage.com/products/sii3124.asp

Let's wait what the meaning of "Soft-Raid" is........

I think that the main-CPU (Athlon64) has to manage the Raid-Operations...
I hope it is as fast as Raid 0 !!??

Last edited by NF3-250GB-FAN; 8th July, 2004 at 11:23 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th July, 2004, 12:15 PM

The RAID5 is done in software. Most cheap RAID adapters use the CPU to do the RAID calculations, as it reduces the cost of the adapter. (IE, the Adapter doesn't need it's own CPU, RAID engine, firmware or RAM).

If you're looking for speed, you don't want to be considering RAID 5. Due to the extra overhead of calculating parity and then striping across all drives, RAID5's write speeds are pretty poor. RAID5 however, is a good compromise between storage space (IE, you only lose one HDD's worth of space), speed and redundancy (IE, it will survive a disk failure)
Old 8th July, 2004, 01:30 PM

OK. SoftRaid5 is not as good as Hardware-Raid5 with Extra CPU and RAM.

BUT:

1) Is ist as fast as Raid0 ?? or faster ?
2) Is it as secure as Raid 1 ? I think so.....
Old 8th July, 2004, 03:10 PM

Exactly why I want it.

Some speed.
Greater safety.
Fewer backups.

4 SATA striped have to be quick.
Old 8th July, 2004, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainPimp
Greater safety.
Fewer backups.
Whoa, hold on here! RAID5 is NOT a replacement for backups in any way, shape or form. You still need to backup RAID5 exactly the same way you backup a single disk.

Why? RAID5 can't protect against user stupidity such as over-writing or deleting an important document, or accidently formatting the wrong drive. RAID5 can't protect against a virus/trojan doing damage to files that are on the system. RAID5 can't protect against an application (or the OS) going off on it's own and trashing things.

RAID5 is simply designed to provide business continuity in the case of a disk failure. Nothing else. You still need to backup the information just as often.
Old 8th July, 2004, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NF3-250GB-FAN
1) Is ist as fast as Raid0 ?? or faster ?
2) Is it as secure as Raid 1 ? I think so.....
It is slower than RAID0, especially on writes where it's significantly slower. If you have a 4 disk RAID5 setup and a 4 disk RAID1 setup, then the RAID1 setup can withstand two disk failures, verses RAID5's one disk failure. That means it's marginally less secure than RAID1.

If you're thinking about using high performance SATA drives (such as WD's Raptor series) be aware that just two SATA disks can saturate the PCI bus. Putting four on the PCI bus, and you'll get no speed increase over two, because a) the PCI bus is already saturated; and b) there's no decrease in access time.
Old 8th July, 2004, 06:49 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
It is slower than RAID0, especially on writes where it's significantly slower. If you have a 4 disk RAID5 setup and a 4 disk RAID1 setup, then the RAID1 setup can withstand two disk failures, verses RAID5's one disk failure. That means it's marginally less secure than RAID1.

If you're thinking about using high performance SATA drives (such as WD's Raptor series) be aware that just two SATA disks can saturate the PCI bus. Putting four on the PCI bus, and you'll get no speed increase over two, because a) the PCI bus is already saturated; and b) there's no decrease in access time.
Technically, a 4-disk RAID1 setup is either a RAID1 with two spares, or two RAID1s. If you have a two disk failure in a RAID1, you're dead in the water, just the same as RAID 5. From that standpoint, RAID1 is no better or worse than RAID5 with a similar spare configuration.

As for performance, all the theory says that RAID5 has worse performance that RAID0 or RAID1 for writing, and is better than RAID1 for reading. In actual practice, it has been my experience that the difference in performance between RAID1 and RAID5 is about the same for writing, with RAID 5 being slightly better on reading. Bear in mind, however, that this is in a server class environment, using dedicated SCSI controllers with dedicated hardware and cache.

As for the SATA data throughput, that is true of PCI implementations. However, I not so sure that it is true of internal chipset implementations where the controller has access to the full chipset bandwidth (like Intel's 875 and 865 chipsets or nVidia's MCP-1000).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 8th July, 2004, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo
Technically, a 4-disk RAID1 setup is either a RAID1 with two spares, or two RAID1s. If you have a two disk failure in a RAID1, you're dead in the water, just the same as RAID 5.
I should have referred to it as RAID10, as that's the most intelligent way of implementing 4 disk RAID1 array.
Old 8th July, 2004, 07:23 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Ah. But then you have a RAID10 array, not a 4-disk RAID1 array. Theoretically, a RAID 10 array could tolerate up to three drive failures. Anyway, we are arguing semantics.

Edit: Oops. RAID10 can only tolerate two failures. I wasn't thinking too clearly.

Last edited by Gizmo; 9th July, 2004 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Brain Fart
Old 8th July, 2004, 09:42 PM

Are you trying to be difficult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Áedán
Whoa, hold on here! RAID5 is NOT a replacement for backups in any way, shape or form. You still need to backup RAID5 exactly the same way you backup a single disk.

Why? RAID5 can't protect against user stupidity such as over-writing or deleting an important document, or accidently formatting the wrong drive. RAID5 can't protect against a virus/trojan doing damage to files that are on the system. RAID5 can't protect against an application (or the OS) going off on it's own and trashing things.

RAID5 is simply designed to provide business continuity in the case of a disk failure. Nothing else. You still need to backup the information just as often.
I never said no backups. What I don't have to do is worry as much if I am late getting a backup done because I have the system doing it. There is not as much risk because a drive failure now means I have to go to the last backup and restore. With raid 5, I am still up and running and need to replace the bad one. It is also a more than gentle reminder that I better do my latest backup right NOW.

Raid doesn't protect against stupidity. This is my computer. Did you just call me stupid? "grin" I do keep multiple copies of highly valuable data. With that said, raid 5 damn sure doesn't hurt my chances of keeping now does it.

It won't save me from virii or trojans. Nope that is what the other software is for.

What it will do is keep my system up and running even in the case of a HD failure. It will also supply additionall read speed at the loss of some write speed. I'm fine with that. It will give me redundancy without a 50% space loss.
Old 8th July, 2004, 11:19 PM

That's cool. There's a number of people out there who assume, since the RAID array will survive a disk failure, they no longer need to back anything up. It's obviously untrue, but some people still seem to believe it.