AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th January, 2002, 12:33 AM

Can ANYONE relate to this strange problem?

Strange one this, which is why I’m looking for similar experiences rather than solutions, although the latter would be nice

Very rarely my computer will hang - everything freezes but the mouse works fine.

After a minute or so everything goes back to normal. Any programs I tried to close or open during the hang suddenly update and everything springs back to life!

Apart from the VERY occasional random minute hang, I can cause this effect willingly by deleting a large number of files at once in Windows Explorer or MyComputer. AFTER the files have been deleted the system will hang like described above, sometimes for several minutes or forever! Trying to exit windows file explorer usually causes the freeze after deleting the files.

Any other file operations are fine.

I've re-installed all software but this issue persists in one way or another. Definitely gets worse after installing IE 6 (especially the file deleting) but can happen before I do this.

No resource conflicts. No IRQ conflicts. OS Win ME (perhaps the whole problem!) NON-OVERCLOCKED STATE.

It's more of an annoyance than anything else and I've discovered ways of getting around the problem, like using third party software such as Nero to delete large numbers of files.

Has anyone ever suffered from a similar experience, even just the temp/perm hanging of windows issue but the mouse/startmenu still work?

Could this be anything to do with the PCI bus?
4x Front 2x Rear USB 2.0 Card
Deskstar 180GXP 120GB 8MB cache - SpinPoint SP0411N 40GB Low Profile
Optorite CDRW 52x32x52 - Pioneer DVD 115 16x
SkyHawk 400W PSU - 220W combined
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2002, 12:45 AM

I have had this problem on the 8K7A.
It has something to do with the highpoint controller and using mixtures of hard drives, cd-roms.

I just put a old ata 100 promise card I had in and disabled the onboard ide and no more problems.

There are probably other solutions I just don't know what they are.
Old 25th January, 2002, 09:34 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

I've had issues with explorer/desktop hanging at quasi random points when the recycle bin has a large number of files in. In my case, a large number was approx 15,000 files.

Hangs like that sound a bit like a hardware issue. As Mr Fix-it says, it points towards issues with the disk interface. It's like the drive interface issues a command, but the drive doesn't receive the command correctly. The drive interface sits there waiting for the results until it eventually times out and resends the command.

If it happens when there's a lot of disk activity, suspect it's along the hard disk driver/disk interface/hard disk.

The mouse itself is interrupt driven, so even if Windows crashes, as long as it doesn't take the CPU with it, the mouse pointer will continue running. (: When your mouse pointer stops working, you know that the end is nigh.

AidanII
Old 30th January, 2002, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the response guys.

I've posted this issue around other forums and people have suffered from a similar issue:

Thread 1

Thread 2

10th element in the above thread has built three machines (8KHA+'s) and ALL of them suffer from this behaviour.

What I want to know now is if this is yet another Via chipset related problem, :devil:, or something else.

I'll add more info as I find it.

Last edited by spirits247; 30th January, 2002 at 05:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 30th January, 2002, 05:51 PM

I have an 8KHA+ with two drives on them, and other than emptying the recycle bin when it's quite full, I don't experience this problem. What kind of hard drives do you have? What brand and speed, and are they ATA/100 compatible, and if so are you using an ATA/100 cable with 80 wires, or an ATA/33 cable with 40 wires?
Old 30th January, 2002, 11:02 PM

The hard drives are in my sig - Quantum Fireball Plus AS 20.5Gig ATA 100 as master, Fujitsui ATA 66 6.4Gig as slave using cable select

All devices using UDMA (80 wire) cables.

The other people who have this issue either have different hard drives to me and/or a single hard drive on the primary channel, so the problem seems deeper.

What I really need to do is to get everyone together who has this issue and see if we have any common components/software on our 8KHA+'s.

On the software side I mentioned in the original post that I suspected IE6 combined with Win 9X/ME might exaggerate this problem and here is why:

Since I had ghost and some spare time, I backed up my current install to another partition.

I then installed Windows ME from scratch, all the drivers and tested.

No problems - I can delete large amounts (500+) files/directories in Explorer/MyComputer without the hanging issue.

I DID ONCE GET THE RECYCLE BIN HANG, but I've heard this is common.

Then I installed Internet Explorer 6. Sure enough, when I try to delete large amounts of files the system hangs in explorer/mycomputer. Third party software like Nero that don't use the OS Window can delete large amounts of files fine.

I have all the latest updates/drivers on my system, and I even tried installing Windows ME without ACPI and PnP OS to see if letting the bios set resources made a difference - it didn't. Safe mode is a no go like already mentioned.

I've ghosted back to my original set-up now and can see no solution apart from a total re-install without IE6 and I can't be arsed. I deleted the backup of IE 5.5 since 6 seemed fine (until I found this issue) and it's impossible to install IE 5.5 over 6 as it won't allow it

For me this is one of the problems of having integrated browser/OS, where windows use the same files. When you update to a browser designed for another OS (IE 6 is for Windows XP, 5.5 came with ME) small issues can occur because it updates key OS files as well as the browser.

AGAIN I MUST STRESS THAT IE6 APPEARS TO EXAGGERATE THE HANGING PROBLEM, I'm not 100% sure if it's the complete cause at this time.

Last edited by spirits247; 30th January, 2002 at 11:13 PM.
Old 31st January, 2002, 12:05 AM

I honestly don't think that IE6 was meant to be run with 9X/ME. I think it was meant for use with the NT platform (2K, XP), but can still be used on the 9X platform. That would explain the problem. Unless someone has been having this problem witn 2K or XP and IE6.
Old 31st January, 2002, 08:30 AM

Have you run the VIA's 4in1v37 updates ? It appears to me that the copying large file and hang relates to VIA southbridge problem.

I do not experience such problem under Win2000 and WinXp at all (or as yet ). Try to get away from WinMe, it's crap !!

If you are overclocking at high FSB, very likely you will face such problem, no matter what OS platform you are running. Are you installing the OS under high FSB ?
Temp - idle 42'C , load 48'C
Old 1st February, 2002, 12:32 AM

I get this exact problem, When I copy a large file from one place to another (I only get this problem in Win9x/ME and not on NT cores) my mouse pointer works but some of my windows freeze, when I press Ctl + Alt + Del it has a (Not Responding) either next to explorer or the window I copied the directory to. Not only did I get it on my old Chaintech KT133 board I also get it on my 8KHA+ KT266A too
I suspect it's a certain piece of hardware causing this and not the chipset or motherboard as I had the exact same hardware on both motherboards, I think it would be very unlikely if it were both chipsets causing the problem.
Old 1st February, 2002, 07:15 AM

What slot is the SB Live in? Is it in the same slot that shares an IRQ with the RAID controller? (Not an uncommon problem)
Old 1st February, 2002, 03:28 PM

Answers to various questions above (thanks for responding BTW ) :

AmdXp:

Yes, have latest via drivers. Nope, happens at default speed even with a re-install (see original post for details).

moregolf:

No raid controller on the 8KHA+. I know the IRQ/PCI layout and NOTHING is sharing. Sblive! card in slot 2, which has it's own unique IRQ.

However, due to Epox providing the OC'ing dream utility ghost I'll backup and try to install fresh once again without the live! and other cards installed (I know you should always do this anyway!).

Then I'll install the sound/other cards and drivers last. If I remember from my KT7A days, this stopped crashing with the 686B and 9x so it might work with this new chipset (if indeed it's the problem).

In the meantime:

Anyone who is having this hanging issue please post, if you haven't already, the following details:

1) Operating System details
2) Via drivers and Internet Explorer Version
3) Hardware details (Esp. what soundcard you have)

For example here are my details:

1) Win ME (latest updates off Microsoft site)
2) 4in1 4.37, IE 6
3) See below.

Let's see if we can hit some common ground. Thanks!

Last edited by spirits247; 3rd February, 2002 at 12:00 PM.
Old 1st February, 2002, 03:50 PM

I have something similar happen to me as well, but only lasts about 4 seconds. Has nothing to do with the recycling bin though, and my drive is SCSI, not ATA. I have the latest nvidia and via updates. However, my mouse won't even move when it does it. No error logs, nothing.

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface