AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th January, 2002, 05:46 AM

Question Brace on Back of 4BDA

Epox Tech - any comments on this stiff brace that must be placed on the back of the 4BDA? I find it interesting that this is just the sort of thing I was thinking of putting on the back of my Athlon motherboards to help prevent the flexing problem I noted with XP chips. This provides a lot of support for the motherboard and dramatically reduces the bending that results from the heavy clamping pressure of the heatsink. Any idea why it's only found on the 4BDA and not the 4SDA? Any plans to implement something similar on Athlon boards?

http://home.earthlink.net/~jskinlaw/brace.jpg
Old 25th January, 2002, 06:43 AM
EPoX Tech

That retention mechanism "ensures that the correspoding mech on the top of the board applies the most possible pressure to the die's heat spreader cap without raising any - thus increasing thermal interface efficiency"
Old 25th January, 2002, 07:06 AM

Well it definitely helps apply more pressure - in fact the Intel heatsink clip broke LOL. I was able to snap it back together and used JB weld to keep the cam from popping out again. I turned the board on edge and couldn't see any signs of bending - the brace does more than help the heatsink apply more pressure.
Old 25th January, 2002, 07:08 AM
EPoX Tech

It does increase the parallel integrity of the interface as you suggest also due to the sandwich that the cpu becomes entrapped in.
Old 25th January, 2002, 07:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

I use a similar device made out of aluminum and rubber for the waterblock on my 8KHA+ . . . .

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2002, 07:40 AM

Well this is what I was thinking might help with the Athlon XP bending issue. I know Epox Tech can't comment much on that - as Dan told me you declined due to "political" issues, and that's understandable. Obviously you guys know what's going on though, and this is a VERY good addition that I would like to see spread like wild fire, but that's wishful thinking. Any comments on why it's included with this board and not the SiS 478 version?
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
I use a similar device made out of aluminum and rubber for the waterblock on my 8KHA+ . . . .
Ive made a similar device from perspex to brace the back of the board when using a heavy waterblock.

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th January, 2002, 07:47 PM

Great idea. Time to put it on more boards.