AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:02 PM

Unhappy Won't Reboot.

Long time reader... First time poster...The computer will not reboot using the reset switch or from Windows... After doing a windows restart, the system will shut down normally, then the video goes to standby, the HD light stays on and the fans are running, but no boot. To reset the issue, I hold the power button in for 4 sec to turn off. The system will boot normally from being off. This used to be a random issue in the past. It wasn't nearly as frequent after the last bios update. Then last friday I got a WinXP random reboot, and the problem has existed ever since... Things I have done... Cleared CMOS. After clearing CMOS, the system will reboot 1 time from the bios save, but will not reboot after the next shut down. This was with all cards removed.. I have removed every card but the video, and the issue remains. I have unplugged all my fans to see if it is a power issue, but the problem remains. All fans have been directly connected to the P/S never to a MB header. If after loading optimized defaults, the system even hangs after the bios save. It is an odd one. It went from being a random thing I could live with, to an everytime thing that is a pain in the butt. You need a hard off every time you want to restart you system. After system is up and running every thing works fine, no problems.
Any ideas?
Components in system when problem occurs.
Athlon XP 1700+
Crucial Memory 2x256
Antec 350W P/S
PNY GF3 Ti 200
Maxtor D740x 80 gig
Toshiba 12x DVD
Plextor 1210A CDRW
Some old floppy

Other stuff that goes in box too
SB Audigy
Linksys Ln100tx
A whole bunch of fans...
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:07 PM

Ooops... I forgot the board... 8KHA+

Sorry.
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:12 PM

I had a similar problem when I first got my 8KHA+, but cannot remember the exact culprit. I THINK I had to reseat the ram (I have the same memory as you do).

Does the onboard LED give any codes when it fails to reboot?

What BIOS version are you running?

"If you can't make it good, make it look good." - Bill Gates, 1995

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Enlight EN-7237 AZ MT Case
Gainward GF3 Ti200 64MB Power Pack Golden Sample
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate Cheetah 9.1GB SCSI
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
Iomega 100 Internal Zip SCSI
Sony CPD-E500 21" Trinitron
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the reply.

The LED does a instant C1 then goes right back to FF. I am running the 1/16/02 bios... It was random in the past... Maybe 1 out of 15 reboots, then went to maybe 1 out of 30 after the latest bios...After last friday... Everytime...

Thanks again for the help.
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:20 PM

I had similar problems when overclocking my board on the original bios.

Updating to the later beta bioses cured the problem.

Try reseating stuff as nullCRC says you might just have a bad contact somewhere.

Do you have another PSU you could try, yours should be OK but this board can be choosy about its PSUs.

And welcome to the forums, Mr T and nullCRC

Best of luck in the future all my friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:28 PM

This may be what you are experiencing:
Taken shamelessly from www.overclockers.com/tips710/

"Epox 8KHA+ Fix"
Humphrey Chen - 11/5/01

The symptoms of the problem are:

System will fail to POST (no video signal) with soft reboot, and it will not POST again, until either you shut off the power source on your power supply & wait for few seconds, or press down the reset buttons for good 30+ seconds.

To make sure this is not an isolated incident, caused by other components, or due to the operating system, I tested 4 boards from 2 different shipments using various combinations of components & OSes. After testing, I concluded that this was due to the motherboard.

I contacted the sales representative from EPoX immediately. He promptly spoke to their engineers, and assured me that they would shortly have a solution. He wasn't kidding. Within one business day, he came back and said they had found the cause of the problem along with the fix.

The fix involves extracting and replacing the little BIOS chip on each board. We have had no problem doing so, and they overnighted us whole bunch chips as well as an extraction tools. What a refreshing change from lackluster (zero) support we've gotten from some other companies!

The package from EPoX arrived on Friday as promised, and I got right to work. I have swapped 14 BIOS chips from motherboards and tested each to ensure they are in proper working order. Each one with a production date of 10/18/01 (first part of serial number -011018) worked perfectly with BIOS chip swap: the rebooting problem is gone!

However, we had two boards that were produced on 10/15/01. Putting the new BIOS chips into them actually made matters worse. The system with those new BIOS chips either lock up solid (even just within CMOS), or if it gets past POST, screen will go blank when Windows starts.

A real bummer, but I don't give up that easily! I decided to extract the BIOS chips from 2 DOA 8KHA+ boards from the initial shipment from EPoX (weird, production date were 10/17/01, later than our second shipment), and install them onto the 10/15 boards. Voila! Reboot issues are gone with these boards.

I believe that most folks who have encountered rebooting issue with their 8KHA+ motherboard may have bad or incompatible BIOS chips. All of the ones I pulled have letter "K" on them, while the replacements do not have any label on them, but are a different brand of chips. The ones I pulled from 10/17 boards had letter "L" on the BIOS chips.

I hope this information is helpful to some of your readers who owns 8KHA+ motherboards, or planning on buying one. These are great boards with top notch performance, and EPoX has proven to me that their tech support not only exist, it's top notch!

We are going through and replacing BIOS chips for all 8KHA+ we have in stock, not sure if other resellers will do the same.

Ed. Note: I think it highly unlikely that a lot of places, especially the warehouse folks, are going to do that.

If you want a "fixed" 8KHA+, I suggest you go here and buy one. We are.

Update 11/6/01: Just got this note from Humphrey--

Hello Ed:

At this URL Please find an BIOS update file for EPoX 8KHA+, BIOS date 11/02/01. The .bin file itself was sent to me from EPoX UK about an hour ago.

I modified the previous 8KHA+ self-extract update files at the URL above to include this new BIOS. According to Epox UK, although not posted on any of their sites around the world, it is an official release; and we can release them to the public. (Ed.note: This BIOS has been floating around the last couple days, this at least confirms it's official.)

Instead of making BIOS chip swap as described in my previous note/article, this BIOS update may fix some people's reboot issue. (Ed. note: Some Epox owners apparently can't get as far as flashing the BIOS, so a chip swap would still be needed.)

I tested on one board only so far (it's late), and it seems to work okay. As usual, flash the BIOS at your own risk; we are not responsible if anyone toasts their board updating their BIOS.

See the email from Epox UK below for a description of fixes that came with this update. I have also included this in the readme.txt file within the self-extracting file.

Best Regards,
Humphrey Chen aka Da HeadNut
PCNUT Computers, http://www.pcnut.com

From: EPoX UK Technical Support [mailto:technical@epox-uk.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2001 1:43 AM
To: pcnut@pcnut.com
Subject: FW: New BIOS Chip?

The basis of the fix was reported at overclockers.com by Humphrey Chen of PCNut computers in the USA. The link is http://www.overclockers.com/tips710/ . However, after a subsequent e-mail exchange with him it has become clear that the chips reffered to in these problems were differing in his case to our case; i.e. he had found Hynix chips to give boot issues, whereas we had found Hyundai chips to be used in the same circumstances. As such we cannot attribute this problem to be borne to one particular kind of eeprom chip at present.

We would however advise the flashing of the attached BIOS dated 02/11/01 to the chip that is supplied within your mainboard.

The listed fix criteria for this BIOS is as follows :

FILENAME: 8KHI1B02.BIN (Checksum 1E00):
Model: EP-8KHA+
Fix:
(1) System hang up when booting from Windows 98 floppy diskette if the PROMISE IDE RAID plugged and have define array.
(2) Fixed Promise IDE RAID card and used DOS6.22 disk boot, install EMM386 fail, show : WARNING: Unable to set page frame base address--EMS unavailable.
(3) For some VGA (Matrox G450) card can't run QuakeIII with Athlon 4 or XP new SSED instruction under Windows NT 4.0. So we add a new item for option disable Athlon 4/XP SSED instruction.
(4) Patch some flash rom (W49F002U(2M),HYUNDAI HY29F002) will cause the Flash ROM can't update DMI DATA.
(5) Show L1/L2 cache size for AMD recommand.
(6) Solved the last version BIOS can't set DDR SDRAM to 1T command

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Adaptec 2940UW
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:34 PM

FYI.

C1 is a memory seat problem. Reseat the memory.

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Adaptec 2940UW
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface

Last edited by nullCRC; 25th January, 2002 at 08:36 PM.
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:38 PM

Thanks again.. That definately sounds like it... I wasn't too concerned in the past as it wasn't an everytime occurance...Now that it is, Oh boy... I have just reset everything as you great bunch of guys/gals have suggested and it still occurs. I have a couple of other systems running, but their power supplies are 250 or less... The issue was less pronounced after the 1/16/02 bios update. Then boom everytime... So it looks like it may be a bios chip issue... I have emailed Epox Support. Hope to hear something soon. I would rather just swap a bios chip... The Alpha 8045 heatsinks make motherboard swaps a little more than the 15 minute chores they were in the past.

Again Thanks.
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:41 PM

By chance is the memory ECC?

Defeat Autism Now!
Athalon XP 1600
Epox EP-8KHA+
Thermaltake Volcano 6cu
512MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Adaptec 2940UW
HP 9200i SCSI CDRW
Sony 50X IDE CDROM
NetGear RP114
RatPadz mousing surface
Old 25th January, 2002, 08:49 PM

I ordered the stuff from Crucial based on the motherboard...
Module Details:
Part Number: CT3264Z265
• Module Size: 256MB
• Package: 184-pin DIMM
• Feature: DDR PC2100
• Configuration: 32Meg x 64
• DIMM Type: Unbuffered
• Error Checking: Non-parity
• Speed:
• Voltage: 2.5V
• SDRAM Timings:CL=2.5

I didn't look at them when I reseated them... I just unpopped them, and popped them back in...Still have the marks in my fingers to prove it...

If it was a constant issue since new I could understand it better, but things were working pretty until recently...That is why I came to the experts... You guys... The more you know the more you realize you don't...