AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th August, 2004, 09:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to m0nki

Question Cannot get my new 8kda3+ running

hi all, just regged here as I guess this is the only place that can help me.

I have an EP-8kda3+ (rev1.0) with AMD64 3200 (1mb cache) and 2Gb Ram.
On top of that, I have
1 Hitachi 250Gb SATA
1 200Gb IDE disk
MSI GeForce6800
Creative Audigy
D-Link Wireless adapter (PCI)
CDRW
Double layer DVD +-rw

My old pc blew itself up and I want to save the content of the 2 disks (30 and 40 Gb). I got the system to boot to BIOS which identified the 2 old disks and the SATA and optical drives) ... so I decided to install WinXP Pro UK.
Should have known ... installing XP on the SATA went ok untill approx 1 min into the formatting cycle ... pc died (I wasn't around so son't know what happened) and now it doesn't boot anymore (post message FF).
I tried resetting the jcmos, disconnecting all disks and taking out all cards (except for GeForce as I don't have onboard video).

Can anyone please assist me here? I need to get the system up and running so I can prepare my holiday trip.

thanks !!
Old 5th August, 2004, 10:25 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Pull the RAM and video card. You should get a POST code telling you that you don't have any memory.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th August, 2004, 10:58 PM

thx for quick reply ... but post error is still FF

weird ...
Old 6th August, 2004, 01:39 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Try loosening the screws holding the mobo to the case and see if that helps any.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 6th August, 2004, 06:48 AM

why would loosening the screws help me?
does it bring me halfway in throwing the mobo away?
Old 6th August, 2004, 01:57 PM

ok, checking the forums I guess you're thinking about short ciruits. I have that big Zalman CU cooler with metal backplate as well ... but wouldn't a short circuit just fry the components so nothing would work?

I'll check later on today.
Old 6th August, 2004, 02:30 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Not necessarily. Depends on where the short is.
Old 6th August, 2004, 03:24 PM
EPoX Tech

...but certainly a possibility given the amount of component placings that are linked through from 6-1 on this PCB (sorry Gizmo - I know you don't have experience of this PCB).

The backing plate supplied with the mainboard is therefore usually de-iso polypropylene or acrylonitrile butadiene styrene rather than metallic.

The shorting issue could be there - the only way to find out is by checking.
Old 7th August, 2004, 12:37 PM

I did some tests to isolate any short circuits:
- tried to change to the supplied backplate but the Zalman doesn't connect to it ;-(
- I isolated the mobo from the computer case by putting it onto an isolated surface (so no screws connected it to the frame)
- I took off the complete fan incl. backplate (so no metallic backplate)

Even without the memory, video or CPU fan, the POST error remains FF.
I'm getting nervous now ... I was hoping to get the thing up and running this weekend.

Can anyone assist?
thx
Old 7th August, 2004, 03:24 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Sorry dude, I'm out of suggestions. Maybe ET has something.
Old 7th August, 2004, 05:13 PM
AOA Staff

What PSU are you using? I see you have a 6800 and a few drives on the go. Does your 6800 have dual molex connectors?
Old 7th August, 2004, 05:47 PM

PSU is Zalman 400W (ZM400B-APS) and my 6800 has only one molex connector (MSI NX6800 - 128MB) so I expect the PSU to be able to handle this.

Funny thing is that PC "crashed" during Win XP Pro installation (during disc format) so at that time I had 6800 + 3 discs + 2 opticals running.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong with the mother board after the crash?