AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th August, 2004, 12:21 PM

Xp2400+ on an Epox 8k7a ?

Hello, I have an Epox 8k7a mobo I would like to install an AMD XP 2400+ Thourobred (sp?) on. Is there anything special that I have to do? Will the board recognise this chip automatically? If not how exactly can I make this work? Is there specific board settings that have to be applied?

Thanks for any advise or help
Old 17th August, 2004, 10:33 PM

Anyone?
Old 18th August, 2004, 02:07 AM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Officially, Epox only support up to the 2200+ TBred in that board, according to this, as long as you have the 3/4/02 BIOS or later.

You can probably run the 2400+ in your board, but I expect you will be pushing the VCore regulator harder than it was designed to go. 'Course, that's what overclockers do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2004, 08:04 PM
EPoX Tech

I'd say not to as 2Ghz with 0.13 is too much for that PWM circuit. Sorry if I've not answered much of late guys but we have a whole bunch of people on holiday here at the moment and I'm trying to cover a whole load of work and loads of new product verification too.

That PWM was originally designed for upto 1.5Ghz 0.18 process, so putting 0.13 process on it alone increases current greatly, goining to 2Ghz with it without overclocking is going to cause some nasty heat situations.
Old 19th August, 2004, 04:26 PM

Welp, upgraded the bios, and plugged her in. MBM has it showing 39 deg C idle and 45 C under load( 1 hr in wwiiol) seems stable enough.

MBM also monitors the rest of the chips on the board. The warmest ones are at 38 deg C

ET, where should I be watching for a heat problem?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 19th August, 2004, 04:39 PM
EPoX Tech

CPU temperature shouldn't be an issue but because you are running the VRM out of its designed envelope of performance or application it is likely that it will blow.
Old 19th August, 2004, 04:52 PM
Chief BBS Administrator
BassTeroids Champion, Global Player Champion, Aim & Fire Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Othello Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, Unicycle Challenge Champion, YetiSports 9: Final Spit Champion, Zed Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Gizmo Send a message via AIM to Gizmo Send a message via MSN to Gizmo Send a message via Yahoo to Gizmo Send a message via Skype™ to Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswold
Welp, upgraded the bios, and plugged her in. MBM has it showing 39 deg C idle and 45 C under load( 1 hr in wwiiol) seems stable enough.

MBM also monitors the rest of the chips on the board. The warmest ones are at 38 deg C

ET, where should I be watching for a heat problem?

Thanks for the help guys.
Get a fan blowing DIRECTLY on the area of the mobo where the VCore switching FETs are. It may not keep you from killing the circuit, but it should make things last a bit longer. Don't bother putting heatsinks on the plastic part of the FETs, as that is worthless.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 13th May, 2005, 12:12 AM

will mobile have the same issue? sorry I should have searched first.