AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th August, 2004, 04:14 PM

AGP Settings - Help

As I can't change the AGP ratio in the bios to 8x only - options are auto and 4x/8x I wanted to find out what the actual ratio was. PCWizard 2004 gives the following but shows the Radeon on the PCI bus
Bus Information :
Device : Nvidia Corp
Number of AGP connectors : 1
AGP enabled : No

Bus Information #1 :
Device : Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
Device : Radeon 9800 Pro (R350) - Secondary

Can anyone explain this result and also is there any program which will give me this information.
Old 17th August, 2004, 04:27 PM

I've seen the same thing with different software... the AGP bus is a specialized version of the PCI bus, so I'm sure that there are some utilities that don't bother to report the difference. They also may not work properly with newer (AGP 3.0) chipsets. Rest assured, if it is plugged into an AGP slot, then it really doesn't matter what any program happens to report

As far as the AGP mode... you should see this under the SMARTGART tab in your display properties. Assuming you're not using the default XP drivers.
Old 17th August, 2004, 04:46 PM

jnansley - Thank you
I didn't even think of looking there
Old 18th August, 2004, 06:53 PM

also u could try looking in directX under display that will tell u if u got the AGP TEXTURE ACCELRATION on or off just go start click run then "DXDIAG" THEN ENTER!!!!

sabertooth 990FX
amd FX8350 @4.2ghz
16GB 1600mhz hyperX ram
AMD HD7970 3GB asus DCPC graphics
hyperX 120GB SSD
WD 320GB hard drive
1TB,500GB working over usb3
corsair HX850 psu
aerocool cyclone black case
window 8.1
asus monitor 24" 1920x1200 res.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2004, 08:09 PM
EPoX Tech

The 4 x 8x only option is there because that is a technology ranking with both of those kinds of purely compliant cards sharing the same voltage requirements through the bus. If your card is 8x and GART installed correctly it will purely be 8x in operation.

The AGP bus isn't a PCI bus poshed up! It's ability to access in OGL or D3D memory by sub DMA is what makes it's differences over PCI even without the increase in bandwidth. Jnansley come forth!

As Sasrob states the AGP texture acceleration does indicate a great deal - and especially as it happens in the case of 8x AGP ports.
Old 18th August, 2004, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPoX Tech
It's ability to access in OGL or D3D memory by sub DMA is what makes it's differences over PCI even without the increase in bandwidth.
This sounds poshed up to me! I would say that the features of AGP are a superset of the features of PCI, although I could also make up some plausible dribble about ISA and MCA as well I suppose. My car is a poshed up bicycle
Old 18th August, 2004, 08:39 PM
EPoX Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnansley
This sounds poshed up to me! I would say that the features of AGP are a superset of the features of PCI, although I could also make up some plausible dribble about ISA and MCA as well I suppose. My car is a poshed up bicycle
Is it one of those BMW scooters with a roof canopy ??