AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 17th August, 2004, 06:27 PM

Unhappy How do I enable Cool `n´ Quiet on my 8KDA3J?

I'm using a 2800+ CPU, 2 Samsung PC3200 512MB DDR, Windows XP SP2, the AMD processor driver and the latest BIOS 34716. I've tried with one DDR but no luck. I've read through the forum but could'nt find any good information on how to get CnQ working. Any good ideas?
Old 17th August, 2004, 11:43 PM
AOA Staff

Is it not on the BIOS menus?
Old 18th August, 2004, 01:22 AM

Should be in the bios, and if I am not mistaken, there is an install for CnQ on the drivers CD you got with the motherboard.

What is cool n quiet anyway, does it let you adjust fan speeds and the such?
2x512 OCZ PC3700EB
Sapphire 9800Pro-->XT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2004, 07:13 AM

There were an option in earlier BIOS versions, in the latest the option to enable/disable CnQ is removed. CnQ makes the CPU run cooler when at idle so the computer will be more cool n quiet
Old 18th August, 2004, 04:38 PM

The option to enable C&Q is still there...but it's only visable when running one dimm.
Sapphire X800 XT
2 x 120GB Seagate SATA on NvRaid
SyncMaster 172x
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 18th August, 2004, 05:46 PM

I removed one dimm, and there were the magic CnQ option. I got it working with only one dimm in the mb. But when I insert both dimm's it won't work. Is there a solution to this problem?
Old 18th August, 2004, 06:06 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JooV
I removed one dimm, and there were the magic CnQ option. I got it working with only one dimm in the mb. But when I insert both dimm's it won't work. Is there a solution to this problem?
Generally Cool n Quiet will adjust the voltage to the CPU according to whether it is under load or idle. At a lower voltage it will also reduce the fan speed. But the exact way it functions will always depend upon the programming of the BIOS. So, this may not be a problem at all. It may well have been re-programmed this way for a good reason.
Old 19th August, 2004, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrok
Generally Cool n Quiet will adjust the voltage to the CPU according to whether it is under load or idle. At a lower voltage it will also reduce the fan speed. But the exact way it functions will always depend upon the programming of the BIOS. So, this may not be a problem at all. It may well have been re-programmed this way for a good reason.

It's a problem for me as I want to run my computer with 1GB of ram. But I guess you live and learn from your mistakes. My next MB will be another reliable one from ASUS.
Old 19th August, 2004, 01:58 PM

Eh, I wouldn't go and say that. Sometimes Asus has made boards that are worth your money.

But sometimes they have made boards that are garbage - overpriced garbage - stopped supporting them the day it went to retail - and made gazillions of dollars off of poor suckers who will pay $150 for anything that says "Asus" on it. They also have a nasty habit of producing "beta" motherboards... I would not take a rev 1.0 board if it was given to me.

From their market position and "reputation", they can afford to not give a crap about what the retail public wants, as long as they make a popular board or two every few years, to keep that reputation.

Just look at the PC-DL - there must be thousands of people who will (and did) pay good money for an 200mhz-capable, AGP/PCI locked i875 dual Xeon board that will overclock out of the box. In fact - it even SAYS IT ON THE BOX. And what did they get? A 200mhz capable, overclockable dual Xeon board - if you hunt down the right combination of PCB revision, beta BIOS, and sacrifice a few small mammals while standing inside a pentagram.

With a practically wide-open market of people who will actually pay high prices for a good product (as opposed to us tightwad Socket A folks), and were perfectly willing to wait for that product to be completely functional at revision 1.0 - what happened? It's not like they had to rush it to market in fear of competition from the Granite Bay boards that don't even have BIOS control for memory timings!

And that's why I hang around these forums, because I believe that Epox actually tries to sell me things that I want to buy, instead of throwing product on the table and saying "take it or leave it". They may not always succeed, but at least they try.

[/off-topic rant]

Last edited by jnansley; 19th August, 2004 at 07:26 PM.
Old 19th August, 2004, 06:10 PM
AOA Staff

I would think the situation with C'n'Q is likely to occur on any A64 platform by any vendor, not just Epox.