AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 26th August, 2004, 10:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to espent

Another annoying 8kdaj problem

I just noticed that whenever I scroll with the mousewheel there is a whine/squek comming from the computer. I'm using an USB mouse....

Has anybody else noticed something similar??

(This is the first and probably last time I've bought an EPoX board. There has been nothing but problems; undervoltage, noises, poor voltage readings, usb devices dropping out etc..)
Old 26th August, 2004, 11:06 PM

Try unplugging the speakers.
Old 26th August, 2004, 11:25 PM

I've tried that, the sound is definitly comming from the computer.
Old 26th August, 2004, 11:33 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

None of which has troubled a single regular here! Wonder why? Perhaps you can find your solutions here, but like some, you may prefer the grip and leave.

I'd suggest you read our the rules governing this topic.

General non-specific complains are not allowed, nor are baseless accusations.
."
DKE

"All that we do is touched by Ocean
Yet we remain on the shore of what we know."
Richard Wilbur

[img]/forum/attachments/random-nonsense/16515-sigs-dan_drag.jpg[/img]
Subscribers! Ask Pitch about a Custom Sig Graphic

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th August, 2004, 02:32 AM

Yes, there have been a few posts on other forums where people have been hearing the squeaking noise from the same motherboard. Some have traced it back to those round copper donut shaped units(I forget their names) by the CPU socket area. Maybe they vibrate under load?? Sounds like a somewhat common problem.
Old 27th August, 2004, 03:26 AM
Chief BBS Administrator

Mine doesn't. Yours may? I can accept that. What I find hard to accept is ( and this ISN'T directed at you Tommy) the attitude that we are entitled to perfection, every time, and if we don't get it the company is evil, the company is garbage.

Especially as the unfaltering stats that vary not one bit from mother board company to another board company

Shows that overwhelmingly RMA is simple user incompetence. Does that mean there are no problems?

No, that's why EVERY single company has RMA!

I'm not perfect I don't expect my world to be. When I screw-up I hope for, naw, I demand a little consideration. If I offer to make it as right as I can, that will have to suffice. I don't want to hear about much past that point.

After five years in forms,

I have days when listening to temper tantrums from the half knowledgeable, who really aren't seeking solutions, but the shallow sense of power that comes from damning others, gets hard.

Myself, I'm interested as hell. If anyone knows more about this of if a solutions been found? Be odd if no one fixed it! Not to hard to tamper vibration.

But I got an off the self, two year old pushing a 2600M to 2540, about the 5 chip she's done well by, to decide to never buy another EPoX on the basis of what might be arguably one of the most popular Overclockers motherBoards of all time.... could be considered... premature...yes?

Thanks Tommy I appreciate your input.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 27th August, 2004, 04:28 AM

I myself have not had a problem with any of my motherboards yet. I have built quite a few systems and have found most to be quite easy to configure. I usually do a fair bit of research before I buy them to see if there are any major problems. I just recieved my 8KDAJ and A64 3000+ today but I am waiting for my Thermalright XP-120. I am a little bit leary of this board now after hearing the various instabilty/Squeaking components/voltage issues people are having but I will give it a shot anyway. I think I will try the May 14 Bios as it sounds to be the most stable. I am switching from an Abit NF7-S/Barton 2500 mobile combo which ran very nice without a single problem. Never owned an Epox board yet but I thought I would give them a try due to their great reputation. I just thought I would let Espent know that I had heard of this Squeaking issue before so he can maybe find some answers/solutions for his problem. There is a thread named "8KDA3J power suply whimpers?" here in these forums where they discuss this problem and try to trace it.
Old 27th August, 2004, 10:41 AM

I may have been out of line with my comment, but I guess I'm a bit spoiled. After 10-12 years of building computers with ASUS/MSI/AOPEN motherboards I've not had any problems.

What I find annoying is the undervolting (followed by reboot) I keep getting. At 1.7v it's stable, but the voltage goes up to 1.75v sometimes and I'm not to comfortable with high voltages like that. The official line seems to be that there is no undervoltage problem even though a lot of people are experiencing it.

My system:
Lian Li PC6087A ATX Aluminium Midi Tower
520W ASPIRE PSU P4/AMD OK
2*80MM Titan Adjustable Speed Housing-fans
2*80MM Lian Li Adjustable Speed Housing-fans
Athlon64 (NewCastle) 3000+ 2.0GHz 512KB(200MHz*10)
Thermalright SLK-948U Heatsink & Papst 3412NG 84m3/h 32dB Fan
EPoX 8KDA3J
512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM TwinMos (Winbond CH-5) CL2.5
Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10000RPM S-ATA
Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB 7200RPM S-ATA
Plextor 2410A (master IDE-0)
NEC 2510A (slave IDE-0)
nVidia GeForce 6800 128MB
NEC LCD 1760NX 17" Monitor
Creative Audigy 2
Logitech Z-560 400W THX 4.1 Speakers
Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical USB
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Logitech Dual Action Gamepad*2

Software:
Windows XP Pro Eng SP2
DirectX 9.0c
ForceWare 61.77
nForce Unified Drivers 4.27
Audigy 2 Driver version 5.12.1.444
Old 27th August, 2004, 12:34 PM

Since you've read the other posts, I assume you've tried touching the "round things" while it's running, to see if the noise stops? I'd probably cover my finger with tissue paper.

Here's a novel idea... since you're using a USB mouse... try plugging it into a powered hub.

Also... many boards have a jumper, dip switch (which may be undocumented) or even BIOS option to switch the USB and/or PS/2 power source from +5V to 5VSB. This is commonly used to make the optical mouse stop lighting up while the computer is in standby mode. Try finding that option and toggling it to and fro.
Old 27th August, 2004, 04:57 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

Good luck with your new board Tommy. Will take some getting use to, the O/Cing rules change a bit with this chip set.

As I've said I've hardly had a chance to look at mine!
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur

Old 27th August, 2004, 05:14 PM
Chief BBS Administrator

I've a few boards as well. I guess I'm a bit more use to having problems with them, issues really.

Look espent, I can certainly understand your frustration. We've ALL been there with parts, compatibility, reality vs hype, the whole scene.

There may or may not be an under-voltage problem. I do know that for the most part, people simply don't understand the new variable voltage chip. They don't know how to get the o/c they want from this chip and decide that their bad settings are really a Under voltage problem. If there's more to it than that is hard to say.

They bitch at EPoX and leave, gets tiresome, but that the forums game.

NO MOTHER BOARD'S voltage readings are reliable, period. You'll have to check with a multi-meter.

I don't have a USB mouse, but my joystick has no problems with any USB port I stick it in.

Hard to help with problems we can't duplicate.

I can tell you this EPoX tries hard, as hard as any. They have produced a string of O/C ers at least as good as anyones else.

I like'em. some of the staff here prefer others or at lest to try others. I got no problem with that.

I hope you guys will hang, we might get to the bottom of some of these things together.
."
DKE

Richard Wilbur