AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12th September, 2004, 03:30 AM

Problems with EP-8KDA3J

This is really frustrating me. I bought all of the parts for my new computer (first build) and set it all up. Originally when I tried to power it up for the first time, I got a POST code of C1, which referred to memory problems. I reseated the memory and then got a code of 25, which is labeled as "reserved" in the manual. After a few more times resetting the memory/rebooting, I got an immediate code of FF and heard lots of activity from the IDE drives (DVD-ROM and DVD-RW drives). I called it quits for the night and went to bed.

When I woke up this morning I powered up the system again and got an error of C1 again. I reseated the memory once again and the error went back to an immediate FF again with the same strange IDE drive activity. At that point I unplugged everything and reconnected it all. This resulted in the system POSTing for the first time.

I stuck in the Windows XP disk and reset the system per the instructions in the Windows XP booklet and got into the Windows XP installation. I got up to the page where I was supposed to partition and format a hard drive to set up Windows on and then the monitor went blank and the code went to FF again and the IDE drive activity started up again.

Since then it's been cycling through periods where it will get an immediate FF code and sometimes it will POST. Usually if I wait for a while with the power off and then turn it back on, it will POST. I reset the CMOS jumper at one point and now when the system POSTs it will say something to the effect of "Warning! System now in safe mode. Reset CPU frequency in CMOS menu. When I try to hit F1 to get to the Windows setup, it gets stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data...". If I go into the BIOS menu, it will eventually freeze and I have to reboot, which results in an immediate FF code.

Any idea on what the problem here could be? It really doesn't make sense to me that if I wait for a while the system will POST, but if I try to reboot immediately after it will get an immediate FF code. I don't understand why it now gets stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data" either when it didn't the first time I got the system to POST. This has been really frustrating me for the past 24 hours and I really hope that I can get this resolved. Thanks for any advice,

-Ariste
Old 12th September, 2004, 10:18 AM

Can you please give full details of your system including power supply (12 volt rail current is important).
Old 12th September, 2004, 04:14 PM

Sure, here's the specs:

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Cooling- Water cooled

RAM- OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth PC-3700

Video card- nVidia GeForce 6800GT

Sound Card- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS

Hard Drives- Western Digital Raptor (74GB) + Seagate Barracuda (160GB)

Power Supply- Antec Neopower (I'm pretty sure that the rails on this are fine... better be since it cost me almost $150)

Drives- DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, Floppy

If you need any other specs, just ask.

As an update to my situation, I actually got into Windows setup again by forcing the system to boot from the CD-ROM drive, but I realized I didnt' have my SATA drivers and when I went to go find them the system eventually went blank and I got the FF code with the strange disk activity again.

Thanks for your help,
Old 12th September, 2004, 04:33 PM

A few things.
There have been some reports of problems with the Neopower dual 12 volt rails but not with this mobo so hopefully this will not be the problem.
Try removing the Audigy. It hates sharing the pci irq and this may be part of the problem
I assume you are not trying to use raid at this point.
Have you tried removing all unnecessary items and tried booting with just one hard drive, floppy and the DVD-ROM.
Have you tried running memtest from a boot floppy
If you can get into bios I suggest you take the ram off auto and slacken off the timings to 2.5 cas.
Final thought - for some reason this board (many other socket 754's as well) doesn't seem to like cable select so try setting your jumpers on the IDE drives to master/slave to match the cable.
Old 19th September, 2004, 02:00 PM

C1 error problem, solution please try: disconect the power connector to the motherboard, clear the cmos by using the jumper, next take out the battery, short the pins together, short the start button pins together (making sure theres no power to the board or power supply) what you are attempting to do is drain the system capacitors, now look on your motherboard for a fsb jumper to change to a lower bus speed setting, I have tried this on several boards and provided the system is drained and that the cmos jumper is back to default, re start the computer with only the graphics card and ide hard drive, plus usual mouse and keyboard all should be fine