AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 31st January, 2002, 02:10 AM
Brad

new epox board with 6 ata channels??

http://www.gzeasy.com/newsphoto/y2k2...01-31-01-s.jpg

http://www.gzeasy.com/itnewsdetail.asp?nID=1613

notice the port 80 diagnostic thing, the via sb, and the green pcb.

I think this is an epox board
Old 31st January, 2002, 03:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to SJAXKINGPIN

It seems to me that the PCI IDE bus is smoked anyway. Adding more channels and therefore more devices will only further this problem. I'd much rather see onboard SCSI.

Pretty interesting though. I've never see one of those before!
2-WD 100GB 7200rpm Drives
Geforce 2 GTS 32mb Waiting for my Ti4400
SB Audigy

Dual PIII 933mhz Server
1/2 GB PC133
2-9.1gb 7200RPM Ultrastars
1-WD 1200Jb 120gb 8mb 7200RPM
40gb 7200 RPM Maxtor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2002, 03:36 AM
Brad

not really it should have vlink or vlink2 which has 266 or 533mb/sec of bandwidth
Old 31st January, 2002, 04:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dimmreaper Send a message via AIM to dimmreaper

Re: new epox board with 6 ata channels??

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
I think this is an epox board
While some of the componentry looks like that which EPoX might elect to use, the design seems a bit unorganized to be an EPoX board. I don't think this is an EPoX board, but who knows . . . . We shall have to see who will take credit for that piece of PCB art . . . .

Pity there isn't a full board shot . . . .

What's interesting about the photos is the VT8233A southbridge. KT266A has a VT8233 (no "A") southbridge. It seems that board is a KT333 board . . . .

From what I hear(a little birdy told me), KT333 is basically KT266A with PC2700(and ATA133 ???) support . . . . KT333A will bring 533MB/s Vlink, USB 2.0, and AGP8X support.

Wishing you were someone else is a waste of the person you are. - Kurt Cobain

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 31st January, 2002, 11:34 AM
Brad

yeah it is definately kt333, which has vlink2, pc2700, ata133, not sure about agp8 and usb2, and when it will come out though.

and you list the number of people who use green pcb, and port80
Old 31st January, 2002, 03:54 PM

Re: Re: new epox board with 6 ata channels??

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
While some of the componentry looks like that which EPoX might elect to use, the design seems a bit unorganized to be an EPoX board. I don't think this is an EPoX board, but who knows . . . . We shall have to see who will take credit for that piece of PCB art . . . .

Pity there isn't a full board shot . . . .

What's interesting about the photos is the VT8233A southbridge. KT266A has a VT8233 (no "A") southbridge. It seems that board is a KT333 board . . . .

From what I hear(a little birdy told me), KT333 is basically KT266A with PC2700(and ATA133 ???) support . . . . KT333A will bring 533MB/s Vlink, USB 2.0, and AGP8X support.
So, what, will our KT266A boards be able to hand ATA133 with just a BIOS flash? Or is there more to it? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about?
Old 31st January, 2002, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
yeah it is definately kT333, which has vlink2
I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have Vlink 2, as I hear KT333 is pin compatible with KT266 and KT266A which both use the origional 266MB/s Vlink . . . . KT333A will definately have Vlink 2 . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 31st January, 2002, 06:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: new epox board with 6 ata channels??

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y
So, what, will our KT266A boards be able to hand ATA133 with just a BIOS flash? Or is there more to it? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about?
ATA133 requires a new harddrisk controller, which means either a new southbridge is needed, or a third party controller IC is needed (like a RAID controller that supports ATA133) . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 31st January, 2002, 06:35 PM
AOA Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by SJAXKINGPIN
It seems to me that the PCI IDE bus is smoked anyway. Adding more channels and therefore more devices will only further this problem. I'd much rather see onboard SCSI.

sure that sounds great.... until you look at the price of scsi drives...hmm here's a nice 50gb for only $500 usd!!!! thats only $10 a gig right ... sheesh

when I get rich I'll run SCSI RAID-5, but until then, gimme big and cheap baby! aka: IDE
Old 31st January, 2002, 06:43 PM

Cheap is good . . . . I just wish someone would make a 10,000RPM ATA133 drive soon . . . .

AOA Team fah
Old 31st January, 2002, 06:53 PM
AOA Staff
Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by dimmreaper
Cheap is good . . . . I just wish someone would make a 10,000RPM ATA133 drive soon . . . .
Yeah. The HDD folks have been saying for years that there's no market for it (10K RPM IDE). I think it comes down to the real fear that it will actually steal from the scsi market. Given the cut throat IDE market with very lean margins, and the high end, high margin scsi market, it's a no brainer.

The one glimmer of hope is that if 1 stinkin' company took that leap, everyone else would be forced to jump in as well, and they would remain affordable.
Old 31st January, 2002, 06:58 PM
EPoX Tech

Looks like a nice implementation of HPT374 with KT333 and 8233A to me, you'd be alot more intrigued if you could see the whole thing !!!
Old 31st January, 2002, 07:05 PM
EPoX Tech

Re: Re: Re: new epox board with 6 ata channels??

Quote:
Originally posted by Wa11y

You need either a 3rd party controller such as the HPT371, 372 or 374 or the 8233a southbridge for ATA133.
Old 31st January, 2002, 08:34 PM
Brad

Quote:
Originally posted by EPoX Tech
Looks like a nice implementation of HPT374 with KT333 and 8233A to me, you'd be alot more intrigued if you could see the whole thing !!!

The first part of that sounds like it is another company, and you are complimenting them, while the second part sounds like you know about it and are teasing us
Old 5th February, 2002, 01:09 AM
Brad

so epox tech, is it actually an epox board, will it go into production, or was it just an experiment?