AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 5th October, 2004, 10:52 PM

Unhappy 8kda3j and 9800pro->XT mod

I have given up in trying to flash my MSI Radeon 9800Pro to XT as it just will not operate in conjunction with my mobo. I have read alot of post on what bios to use and how to flash it but no go.
Once the card is flashed and I reboot, the mobo posts a code of 26. No matter what bios I use this happens.
I read an article at the epox site about post code 26 and certain agp bios settings but they didnt work as well.
The card does have the R360 core as I pulled the big heatsink off and saw it.
This is the only card in the box.
I am at the point of curiosity now as why it wouldnt work. It is well within the realm of me screwing something up but I tried to follow all that I read to the T.

This is my PC
8kda3j
AMD64 2800+
768 PC3200 Mushkin
MSI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Antec 350w smartpower
Old 5th October, 2004, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLee
I have given up in trying to flash my MSI Radeon 9800Pro to XT as it just will not operate in conjunction with my mobo. I have read alot of post on what bios to use and how to flash it but no go.
Once the card is flashed and I reboot, the mobo posts a code of 26. No matter what bios I use this happens.
I read an article at the epox site about post code 26 and certain agp bios settings but they didnt work as well.
The card does have the R360 core as I pulled the big heatsink off and saw it.
This is the only card in the box.
I am at the point of curiosity now as why it wouldnt work. It is well within the realm of me screwing something up but I tried to follow all that I read to the T.

This is my PC
8kda3j
AMD64 2800+
768 PC3200 Mushkin
MSI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
Antec 350w smartpower
Could it be your power supply? What is the +12v rail rating. I wonder if turning it into an XT also increases the wattage draw since the card is running faster, and maybe you are on the ragged edge +12v wise.
Old 5th October, 2004, 11:22 PM
EPoX Tech

Think we have everyone on a new found 12v vigilance which can't be a bad thing
Old 5th October, 2004, 11:23 PM
Member/Contributer

I know you said you've read up on it but I just wanna check is it the 128mb or 256mb card and if it's the 128mb card are you using a modded bios?
I've also read that msi cards use none referance boards so you need to use msi's own bios for it as the referance one won't work

Tobias F√ľnke, M.D.

AOA Team fah
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 5th October, 2004, 11:25 PM
EPoX Tech

Reading it a little more does sound as though it could be the wrong flash too - can you confirm the card is working elsewhere now ?
Old 6th October, 2004, 12:04 AM
Member/Contributor/Resident Crystal Ball

i'd agree with the bad bios flash, although i had one flash, that upon reinstalling the card after cleaning off the dust, i failed to conect the power cord properly (was just there...but not seated properly)
when the card was a pro, it would pop up a message saying the cord was disconnected, but as an XT, it does not. scared the *&@$ outta me....but it worked upon removing the cord and reconnecting it, everything was hunky-dorey.
Old 6th October, 2004, 03:27 AM

The power supply has 21A on the 12v rail.
The card itself is the only thing on the cable from the power supply.
The card is 128mb and I have used the following bios'
Medion - which i read is the German release of the card from MSI
Sapphire
GeCube
and one that was labled as an MSI XT bios

but none worked. All gave the same post code - 26. Black screen.

I have the card working in my PC now but it is the original bios. I flash the XT bios, get the post code, put in pci vga card, flash back to original and try again.

I used this guide for one - http://www.rojakpot.com/showarticle....rtno=92&pgno=0

as well as the bios images from that site - http://www.rojakpot.com/show.aspx?fileID=22

The one thing I have found is that alot of posts I read say that the Medion bios is the one that works. Reviews from newegg, forums elsewhere say it works, but not with me. The bios image i get is smalller than the all of the others I have used, but I have no clue if that means anything.
Old 6th October, 2004, 03:51 AM

The MSI cards are tough ones...they and asus are the only ones taht deviate from the standard pcb layout
i missed the part at the beginning, or i would have said this sooner...you MUST use the MSI bios. if it does not work, then MSI has a lock on the bios, or the power connector is in a different spot.
the pro has a floppy connector, and there is no msi xt in existence, AFAIK.

EDIT: the bios image should be 52-56k, or it is only overwriting a partial bios.
Full bios images, including the voltage setting are 62-67k.
Old 6th October, 2004, 01:31 PM

For the people with "128MB 9800XT's"... how's that working out for you?

I have a 128MB BBA 9800Pro... I was pretty hot on this topic when I bought it 9 months ago, but I ultimately decided not to mess with it, as I did not see results that confirmed significantly better performance. Although the temperature monitioring would be nifty.

I also heard various whispers that there were issues with a 256MB BIOS trying to find that 129'th MB. Has this changed?
Old 6th October, 2004, 05:15 PM

you can edit the bios for 128mb. there are reports of this causing issues, however this seems to stem from poeple either starting with the wrong bios, or not using a true XT based card, IMHO.