AOA Forums AOA Forums AOA Forums Folding For Team 45 AOA Files Home Front Page Become an AOA Subscriber! UserCP Calendar Memberlist FAQ Search Forum Home

Go Back   AOA Forums > Hardware > EPoX MotherBoards

EPoX MotherBoards EPoX Intel and AMD Motherboards.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 6th October, 2004, 03:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to espent

Dual PSU's?

Does anybody here know how I can use two seperate PSU at the same time? Would it be possible to connect PSU#1 to my 8kda3j's regular ATX connector and PSU#2 to the ATX12V connector? I've seen some cable splitters that makes it possible to connect 2 PSU's to the regular ATX connector, have anybody tried these? I guess I need both PSU's to be connected to the ATX connector to start, or?

I should have enough power as it is (520W), but I have some trouble overclocking my GPU. 3DMark and several games pauses slightly now and again when overclocked, but there is no indication of artifacts. The situation became a bit better when I dedicated one cable to my GPU and disconnected a couple of fans, a neon light, and a DVD drive.
Old 6th October, 2004, 03:25 PM
Chief Systems Administrator

You can, but you'd do better connecting the two PSUs together, rather than having one powering the CPU and one powering something else. That way you can provide power to everything.

There's been similar questions in the past, so it's worth doing a search of the forum.
Old 6th October, 2004, 03:55 PM

It is possible by connecting the green power on lead and a black earth lead together on both psu's using some instructions I found on another post somewhere. I've tried it myself as I wanted to power CD drives lights, fans etc from one psu and have my 'decent' one for powering main components. Couldn't get it to work and in the end it fried my cheap psu. I know its tempting to do this but its better to get one decent psu than try and strap two together.

Let me know how you get on though
1GB OCZ 4000 Gold Rev2
Antec true control 550w
2x 80gb sata Hitachi 7k250 Raid 0 (94mb/s sis Sandra on Nvidia Raid)
1x ide 160gb Hitachi 7k250
6800GT 431/1100
LG 8x dvd rw (-+&RAM)

Watercooling:
L30 + L20
DD RBX CPU
DD NV68 GPU
DD Maze 4 chipset
WACC P/A res
Thermochill 120.2
1/2 ID
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!